PUSHKING

Socratic Methodist

Heard OF it but haven't heard anything from it.

That is one heck of a list of guest-stars, though. Makes me wonder if there was any room left for the actual band members to play on the album? :)

Not heard it either. What type of music is it? Based on the cover and guest list I get a vibe it could be 70's influenced type of music? Is this correct?

I've owned, and sold, almost their entire discography (back when I was just re-discovering melodic hard rock- yes, I did buy rather indiscriminately at first, much smarter now ;p ), and, I really hate to say this b/c I almost always keep my commentary positive, feel a bit worse for the wear. Their albums vascillate b/t poorly played (IMHO) 70s era prog. rock, straight ahead hard rock w.o. even the whiff of a hook (occasionally a pleasant melody or two comes along and surprises), and even some almost unlistenable, for lack of a better way to describe, rockabilly/folk influenced stuff. Vox. are VERY heavily accented, but do exhibit a nice range at times. Looking back, I guess I can appreciate their desire for creativity and variation and, to their credit, they recorded a pretty cool duet (ballad) w/Kelly Keeling titled "Soldiers Song" or something like that....But one song couldn't convince me to keep the CD.

Basically, this newest album contains a selection of their older songs performed by "all star" vocalists. It is, by far, their ONLY CD worth even contemplating a purchase IMHO. To my ear, after listening to sound clips, Jeff Scott Soto REALLY adds a ton of energy to the song he performs vs. the original, both Billy Gibbons tracks piqued my interest, and Jorn Lande turned a dreadfully dreary song about heroin into a solid mid-tempo rocker. I'll pass on the Glenn Hughes and Paul Stanley tracks, and Dan McCaferty wasn't given much to work with. This is all just my opinion, maybe others here will enjoy this band a whiole lot more than I...if so, gr8!

I've owned, and sold, almost their entire discography (back when I was just re-discovering melodic hard rock- yes, I did buy rather indiscriminately at first, much smarter now ;p ), and, I really hate to say this b/c I almost always keep my commentary positive, feel a bit worse for the wear. Their albums vascillate b/t poorly played (IMHO) 70s era prog. rock, straight ahead hard rock w.o. even the whiff of a hook (occasionally a pleasant melody or two comes along and surprises), and even some almost unlistenable, for lack of a better way to describe, rockabilly/folk influenced stuff. Vox. are VERY heavily accented, but do exhibit a nice range at times. Looking back, I guess I can appreciate their desire for creativity and variation and, to their credit, they recorded a pretty cool duet (ballad) w/Kelly Keeling titled "Soldiers Song" or something like that....But one song couldn't convince me to keep the CD.

Basically, this newest album contains a selection of their older songs performed by "all star" vocalists. It is, by far, their ONLY CD worth even contemplating a purchase IMHO. To my ear, after listening to sound clips, Jeff Scott Soto REALLY adds a ton of energy to the song he performs vs. the original, both Billy Gibbons tracks piqued my interest, and Jorn Lande turned a dreadfully dreary song about heroin into a solid mid-tempo rocker. I'll pass on the Glenn Hughes and Paul Stanley tracks, and Dan McCaferty wasn't given much to work with. This is all just my opinion, maybe others here will enjoy this band a whiole lot more than I...if so, gr8!

Thanks for the insight, mate. Based on your commentary here and the review at Sleazeroxx, I think I'll actually avoid this altogether. Doesn't even sound like it's worth giving a test run. :lol:

• 6 years later...