Hurry Scuary - Break It Up (1988)

Geoff

Recently picked this one up in what I understand is some kind of bootleg format, though it's silver pressed and looks perfect to me. :) But what's the story with these guys? Released in 1988 on BMG. I've never heard of them before but this thing isn't bad at all. I get a huge RACER X vibe, with a few keys here and there to mix it up a bit and give it the occasional melodic hard rock / AOR feel. But generally it's heavier than that.

The lyrics are not always crystal clear, but the guy has a decent voice for one of these Japanese bands. To explain, it is a Japanese band, but all the songs are written by two, shall we say "westeners." Without looking in the booklet I don't recall their names, but does anyone who knows anything about this band know who those two guys were, and what lead to them writing these songs for a Japanese band?

Anyone else heard this album? Thoughts?

Hurry%20Scuary%20-%20Break%20It%20Up.jpg

TRACKS:

1. Top Dog [5:26]

2. We Can Try Again [4:30]

3. You Need A Man [4:17]

4. Open Your Eyes [3:42]

5. Run For Your Life [4:43]

6. Dirty Streets [4:05]

7. Crazy [3:47]

8. Nothin' New [3:05]

9. Feeln' High [3:58]

Yep I love this album, along with Big Deal - Passion Rose this would be my favourite Japanese Hard Rock album. Apparently this album was written as the soundtrack to a movie called 'Top Dog' (presumably not the Chuck Norris film). It's pretty heavy rock, but sounds great. Sometimes reminding me of the band Lion.

I found this little snippet from an interview with one of the band members, Hideaki Nakama:

Mr. Nakama, you released your debut album [bREAK IT UP] with HURRY SCUARY in 1988, which was the sound track of the movie [TOP DOG]. Since your debut, your music is of very high quality. Why did you write all lyrics of this album in English?

Hideaki: I have always liked Western music so it seemed natural to write the lyrics in English. In addition, this album was the sound track of a movie. The record company and the producer of the movie agreed with the English lyrics. At that time most Japanese metal rock bands wrote lyrics in Japanese. I had really important experiences of making and releasing this album. I thank many people, especially Paul Raymond of UFO, for their help with making this excellent album.

Yep I love this album, along with Big Deal - Passion Rose this would be my favourite Japanese Hard Rock album. Apparently this album was written as the soundtrack to a movie called 'Top Dog' (presumably not the Chuck Norris film). It's pretty heavy rock, but sounds great. Sometimes reminding me of the band Lion.

I found this little snippet from an interview with one of the band members, Hideaki Nakama:

Mr. Nakama, you released your debut album [bREAK IT UP] with HURRY SCUARY in 1988, which was the sound track of the movie [TOP DOG]. Since your debut, your music is of very high quality. Why did you write all lyrics of this album in English?

Hideaki: I have always liked Western music so it seemed natural to write the lyrics in English. In addition, this album was the sound track of a movie. The record company and the producer of the movie agreed with the English lyrics. At that time most Japanese metal rock bands wrote lyrics in Japanese. I had really important experiences of making and releasing this album. I thank many people, especially Paul Raymond of UFO, for their help with making this excellent album.

Yeah, Paul Raymond is one of the names I remember. He wrote about 3-4 songs on the CD and is also listed as an additional musician on the CD.

Hey Geoff, You should try Blindman - Pain for the pleasure. It's even better than Hurry Scuary IMO. Really good Japanese melodic hardrock. :party421:

It's just $12 at Cdbaby. Go there for some samples.

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/blindman

Cool mate, thanks for the tip. I'll check 'em out. :)

What the hell kind of band name is that? "Hurry Scuary?" Is "Scuary" even a real word? :blink:

Ohhhh... they're Japanese? Nevermind. That s'plains it.

What the hell kind of band name is that? "Hurry Scuary?" Is "Scuary" even a real word? :blink:

Yeah, I kept having to refer to the CD itself because I couldn't remember the name because it was so stupid. :lol:

Hey Geoff, You should try Blindman - Pain for the pleasure. It's even better than Hurry Scuary IMO. Really good Japanese melodic hardrock. :party421:

Just listened to this:

Sounds really good to me, love the vocals and the guitar solo, if the other Blindman material is like this it's another one I need.

Just listened to this:

Sounds really good to me, love the vocals and the guitar solo, if the other Blindman material is like this it's another one I need.

They have released seven studio albums. Most the albums I have heard are really good. I found out yestrday that they have released one called RE-rise this year as well.

Full discography:

http://www.blindman.jp/discography/

• 1 month later...

Just been listening to this CD and I'm loving it. Great vocals, fantastic guitars and some really good songs.

Pretty amazing that the band didn't do anything else, as they really knew how to write a tune. Maybe it was the name, it was bloody awful. Could no one have advised them to change it?

lousy name, but looks like an interesting one, where do you buy this geoff ?

will check out youtube for samples :)

btw, did you check out the Siam Shade tribute, it's worth checking out, the string of performers are fantastic, sebastian bach, eric martin, jani lane, kotzen, george lynch, etc

lousy name, but looks like an interesting one, where do you buy this geoff ?

will check out youtube for samples :)

btw, did you check out the Siam Shade tribute, it's worth checking out, the string of performers are fantastic, sebastian bach, eric martin, jani lane, kotzen, george lynch, etc

Another Azintex CD. :)

Nah, haven't heard of that Siam Shade thing... will have a look.

Yeah, I kept having to refer to the CD itself because I couldn't remember the name because it was so stupid. :lol:

Everytime I read the name I'm thinking it has a certain similarity to the band name Harem Scarem. It almost rhymes if you say it fast and not too precisely. So is it intentional or not? Are they fans of Harem Scarem? :unsure:

Everytime I read the name I'm thinking it has a certain similarity to the band name Harem Scarem. It almost rhymes if you say it fast and not too precisely. So is it intentional or not? Are they fans of Harem Scarem? :unsure:

I'm thinking it was one of those "Engrish" moments... an unintentional, mis-spelling of "Hurry Scurry"

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get the Racer X vibe on this, maybe coz I never dug them. Anyway, great CD that really rocks. The singer sounds great in the higher register and the Japanese sure know how to play some sweet guitar.

There's probably no need to buy the bootleg of this. I bought it not long ago on ebay - around $30 delivered.... new. You just need to find a Jap retailer who is stocking it coz it was reissued in 2005 by a Japanese label called DANGER CRUE RECORDS (awesome name). Info here, perhaps if you can ready Japanese you can order it directly?

http://www.dangercrue.com/works/hurryscuary/index.html

• 6 years later...

I have this in my iPod. I would say that it is good but I don't remember the next 9 songs after Reaching For the Sun. That song drowns out the rest of the album. Guitarist Hideaki Nakama is very good. I think he also played with the band Action but I'm not 100% about it.