The Record Industry's Digital Storage Crisis

Fat Freddy

Saw this article from Rolling Stone on another forum and thought it was interesting enuff to share. Seems that the so called "perfect" digital format for storing music isn't as perfect as the recording industry thought it was.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/file-not-found-the-record-industrys-digital-storage-crisis-20101207

Some highlights:

Last year, the Beggars Banquet label unearthed the multitrack master recordings of the Cult's classic 1985 album, Love, for a planned deluxe edition. The LP was an early digital recording, and to the label's shock, one master was unplayable; the other contained only 80 percent of the album. "That's the problem with digital," says Steve Webbon, head archivist of the Beggars Group. "When it goes, it's just blank. It's gone."

Hard drives, which became standard in the past decade, present their own problems. Label archivists tell horror stories about receiving hard drives that are blank or filled with unidentified files. "You'll get a drive with thousands of files on it," says Chris Lacinak of AudioVisual Preservation Solutions, which has helped preserve music for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. "Imagine if all the songs in your iTunes library just said 'Track 1' or 'Track 2.' Ten years later, when you want to do a remix or collect outtakes — good luck."

Really? I thought CDs would be okay if you looked after them. :( Either way, I guess no way is 100% safe but I still like my CDs anyway. :)

Geoff it's only cds manufactured by PDO in the UK in a certain time frame that were affected from memory.

So don't sweat mate :)

A few of the early Now & Ten ones are affected which is a bummer though.

CD Bronzing

A few of the early Phonogram/Mercury pressing aswell like Def Lepps 'Adrenalize', Bon Jovi's 'Keep The Faith' and I just discovered Richie Samboras 'Stranger In This Town' also the other week too.

Geoff it's only cds manufactured by PDO in the UK in a certain time frame that were affected from memory.

CD Bronzing

A few of the early Phonogram/Mercury pressing aswell like Def Lepps 'Adrenalize', Bon Jovi's 'Keep The Faith' and I just discovered Richie Samboras 'Stranger In This Town' also the other week too.

Really? Are your copies of those CDs unplayable, or just looking a little dodgy?

Like Ytseman I thought the CD Bronzing was only traced to 1 pressing plant in Lancashire (Blackburn???...not far from here) I think they had PDO on the CD near the hole too. I know all the ones I have bronzing ... only 2 I know of (Vain - No Respect and Yes - Talk) were pressed at the same plant as the same details are on the CD. I'm sure it's PDO and it was down to inferior materials used. Strangely all my early Now and Then pressings are great.

I sent an email to Island records some months back who pressed my Vain CD as they said they would replace it but heard nothing back.

Good article that though.

They may panicing about missing or corrupt digital sources but how many times have we read stories about analogue tapes that have had to be baked to get them to play one last time.

I think with anything time and experience eventually reveal problems that need to be addressed. For record companies to do what they did and jump completely into the digital revolution was pretty short sighted....hmmm but that's major record companies through and through! But having said that it was presented as a the perfect recording/playback medium, even though it plainly wasn't and the limitations of CD were well known, it was only ever meant to replace tape and not vinyl.

That's correct Nick. I think the ink used in the booklets reacted with the discs turning them bronze. Something technical like that lol

Geoff, once they start to bronze they distort and then eventually won't play.

I've played my bronzed ones and they sound ok, but who knows when or if they'll pack it in.

I have a DeGarmo & Key double live album and the discs are transparent! WTF? Needless to say no audio comes out of them :(

CD Bronzing

Really? Are your copies of those CDs unplayable, or just looking a little dodgy?

2 looking dodgy and the Sambora disc the bronzing was creeping on the playing side, so had to throw it and get a replacement. I have only ever seen it on those 3 discs to be honest and as mentioned, it crops up on a few Now & Then pressings . Not to worry otherwise mate.

Hmmm... I wonder if Vain's 'No Respect' has been re-issued? The others noted here that I like are all pretty easiliy available, but the Vain one is one of my faves and I have always noticed that one looks a little dodgy. I should at least rip it to the PC, just in case. :) Thanks for the info, guys.

I have a DeGarmo & Key double live album and the discs are transparent! WTF? Needless to say no audio comes out of them :(

:rofl: Limited edition???

Yeah I went to play it after Dana Key passed away earlier in the year and couldn't believe it!

Hmmm... I wonder if Vain's 'No Respect' has been re-issued? The others noted here that I like are all pretty easiliy available, but the Vain one is one of my faves and I have always noticed that one looks a little dodgy. I should at least rip it to the PC, just in case. :) Thanks for the info, guys.

Yes mate, Gott Discs 2004 - I can sell you mine for $200 AUD if you run into problems :)

Yes mate, Gott Discs 2004 - I can sell you mine for $200 AUD if you run into problems :)

Sold! Very generous. ;)

Damn! Should've asked for $250 :)

Sold!

:(

Hahaha! Been ripped mate...it's also been released by BGO records....pick it up at Amazon for £10.99 :) Maybe I should get a copy to replace my bronzed Island one...even though it still plays ok.

CD Bronzing

Foook .. ! I need to run and check my copies !! :drag: