Disciple

Glen

After condemning modern rock today im damned excited to say this -

Disciple - Horseshoes & Hand Grenades - due July 27th.

Just what the doctor ordered :-))

Oh hellz yeyeah! I was actually going to wikipedia these guys a few weeks back to see if they had anything due when I was thinking of bands due to release albums... bands that might be able to save the current trainwreck situation I find modern rock is in. Cannot wait for this. Cool album title too.

• 5 weeks later...

One of my favorite Christian modern metal bands...always look forward to a new CD from these guys like Geoff looks forward to a new Amy Reid video. I see on the web that fans are dissing the album title, but I kind of like it.

One of my favorite Christian modern metal bands...always look forward to a new CD from these guys like Geoff looks forward to a new Amy Reid video. I see on the web that fans are dissing the album title, but I kind of like it.

Yeah, no one gulps a load of seme- uh, shit, what was I saying? The album title. Yeah, fully agree. I like it. Very cool.

Think I read somewhere that one of the band members had been pretty ill ??

Looks like the album is still scheduled for a July release tho

This is another band (like Taking Dawn) that I think is pretty overrated. That said, each of their last two discs have had one or two utterly killer tunes - usually the ballads - that have made purchase essential. Hopefully the same is true with this one...

This is another band (like Taking Dawn) that I think is pretty overrated. That said, each of their last two discs have had one or two utterly killer tunes - usually the ballads - that have made purchase essential. Hopefully the same is true with this one.

OK, in the course of just one day you've insulted Disciple, Taking Dawn, and the Wrong Turn movies. I may have to stop liking you. Consider yourself on thin ice, my friend... <_<

This is another band (like Taking Dawn) that I think is pretty overrated. That said, each of their last two discs have had one or two utterly killer tunes - usually the ballads - that have made purchase essential. Hopefully the same is true with this one.

OK, in the course of just one day you've insulted Disciple, Taking Dawn, and the Wrong Turn movies. I may have to stop liking you. Consider yourself on thin ice, my friend... <_<

Yeah but at least we agree on how much HINDER suck though, right? :lol:

Seriously, I just much prefer crunchier stuff like THE SHOWDOWN to this. Though "Southern Hospitality" was a pretty decent listen with at least a couple of great tracks...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well scallops, if you pre-order the new disc you get a whole bunch of goodies for the price, including an immediate downloaded version of the new album. Check it out here:

http://disciplerocks.com/#closedmc

I am very, very keen to hear those unreleased bonus tracks.

Here's the track list for 'Horseshoes and Hand grenades':

Tracklist:

1. Dear X, You Don’t Own Me

2. Watch It Burn

3. Invisible

4. The Ballad Of St. Augustine

5. Shot Heard ‘Round The World

6. Collision

7. Battle Lines

8. Remedy

9. Eternity

10. Revolution: Now

11. Deafening

12. Worth The Pain

512a79a816c3.jpg

As I know 100% for sure I'll be purchasing this CD asap, I had a guilt-free listen yesterday and my initial thoughts are this:

First 3 songs are excellent, and I thought straight away this would have modern rock album of the year covered, no worries. Production is easily the best I've heard on a Disciple CD yet, and it was just a nice mixture of heaviness and melody. Love the opener especially. 'Watch It Burn' is a ball tearer too, and 'Invisible', whilst not one of their absolute best, is a very good balladic number. However, after that, 'The Ballad Of St. Augustine' and 'Shot Heard ‘Round The World' are only okay. 'Collision' gets it back on track and is another great tune. Then a couple more good, but not amazing songs in 'Battle Lines' and 'Remedy.' They're all nice and heavy... but just missing a bit in the hooks department. Of the last 4, 'Revolution: Now' is another average one, but 'Eternity' (funnily enough the most christian sounding song on the CD - and the only one I could actually detect with slighlty christian lyrics) is one of their best songs ever, and the album highlight, imo. LOVE this song. 'Deafening' is also excellent, and another album highlight. The closer, 'Worth The Pain', borders on excellence, but doesn't quite get there. Good closer, but could have been better.

And there you have it. Honestly, not as good, imo, as any of their previous 3 discs. But it is still a very good disc. I thought it'd crush Story Of The Year and Bullet For My Valentine, but it's a similar story to those two discs. All 3 bands have released a very impressive product this year... but I get the feeling that all 3 could have been just that little bit more impressive. Looking forward to more spins, though...

Not sure when the release date is, but we should have it in at work pretty soon.

What's worth checking out from their older releases?

Mark knows more about their back catalogue, but I think you and I would be on a similar page with these guys. Prior to their 2005 s/t release they were a very, very different band and played a more hardcore/metal kind of style I don't think most people would be into.

However, since they got a little more melodic/commercial, this is how I'd rate their last 4 excellent CDs:

1. Scars Remain (2006)

2. Southern Hospitality (2008)

3. s/t (2005)

4. Horseshoes and Hand Grenades (2010)

All worth picking up for sure.

I (and about 40,000 other fans) had the fortune of seeing Disciple live this past weekend along w/Decyfer Down, a reunified Petra, Kutless and 67 other bands at "Heaven Fest 2010." I couldn't have asked for a better venue--> the festival was held next to a reservoir less than 2 miles from my front door in Colorado. IMO, "Scars Remain" remains (no pun intended) Disciple's pinnacle album (most consistent, best songs) to date, but lookin' forward to grabbin' a copy of the latest album- I like the songs, on avg., better than "Southern Hospitality."

I've given Southern Hospitality a few spins and it's pretty good.

With this style of music I really dig the mid-tempo rockers like Whatever Reason. I don't mind the heavier groove oriented tunes, but the wimp in me always wins through.

Ive had the newie since the download was offered.

I really like it. Overall probably not quite as good as Scars Remain or SH, but still pretty kick arse throughout and is more reminiscent of SR to be honest with the hard hitting style. As I said earlier in the 'song of the day' thread 'Shot Heard.......' is very similar to 'Game On' in style.

Elsewhere, 'Etermity' is great. But my fav is still the first track. Excellent that is.

I thought it'd crush Story Of The Year

By the way, just noticed this comment.........to be honest I didnt. Never did.

As good as Disciple are, I would rate all the SOTY albums (except Paige Avenue of course) as being better than ANY Disciple album.

'The Constant' is great IMO without hardly a filler on board and is still the only 'modern' album challenging the top 10 MHR discs of 2010.

Cheers

• 2 years later...

As good as Disciple are, I would rate all the SOTY albums (except Paige Avenue of course) as being better than ANY Disciple album.

'The Constant' is great IMO without hardly a filler on board and is still the only 'modern' album challenging the top 10 MHR discs of 2010.

Cheers

Haha, not sure I ever saw this post either. I gotta say, for the most part I actually prefer Disciple albums since their s/t album compared to Story Of The Year discs. But it's close. I just think Disciple probably have a few more killer tracks. I'd like to do a proper comparison of their big guns - 'In The Wake Of Determination' vs 'Scars Remain' and see which comes out on top. Anyway, not to worry, two awesome bands who always release a great product. Not really important which is better than the other.

And so, uh, 'O God Save Us All.' Any takers at all? The album from 2012? I didn't even see more than a passing comment from Mark on this. So, Mark, my fellow Jesus Enthusiast, and anyone else, did anyone hear and enjoy this album? Took a few spins to really show it's pure awesomeness, but I kind of love this CD. Pretty damn heavy when it needs to be, and deliciously melodic/commercial when it needs to be. These guys know how to make a nice mixture of tracks and I really enjoy the disc. Probably their best since 'Scars Remain.'

Cheers

Haha, not sure I ever saw this post either. I gotta say, for the most part I actually prefer Disciple albums since their s/t album compared to Story Of The Year discs. But it's close. I just think Disciple probably have a few more killer tracks. I'd like to do a proper comparison of their big guns - 'In The Wake Of Determination' vs 'Scars Remain' and see which comes out on top. Anyway, not to worry, two awesome bands who always release a great product. Not really important which is better than the other.

And so, uh, 'O God Save Us All.' Any takers at all? The album from 2012? I didn't even see more than a passing comment from Mark on this. So, Mark, my fellow Jesus Enthusiast, and anyone else, did anyone hear and enjoy this album? Took a few spins to really show it's pure awesomeness, but I kind of love this CD. Pretty damn heavy when it needs to be, and deliciously melodic/commercial when it needs to be. These guys know how to make a nice mixture of tracks and I really enjoy the disc. Probably their best since 'Scars Remain.'

Shit, did i miss that?? will check out prompto.

I remember you saying something you heard on it sounded a little "nu-metal" but I'm not sure if you heard the full thing. This is how I felt about it in detail:

1 - Outlaws (3:34) - good heavy rock opener with a big chorus - 7.75

2 - O God, Save Us All (3:20) - another good, solid heavy rocker - 7.50

3 - R.I.P. (2:50) - pretty tasty anthemic rocker - huge and really catchy chorus - 7.75

4 - Once And For All (3:35) - very nice ballad - 8.50

5 - Someday (3:51) - very good ballad - a little better than the previous one - 8.75

6 - Draw The Line (3:26) - and the best of the ballads - 9.00

7 - Kings (2:55) - solid modern hard rock but not the best on the album for sure - 7.00

8 - Unstoppable (2:39) - another solid modern rocker, almost nu-metal - 7.00

9 - The One (3:03) - nice big hard rocker with an anthem chorus once more - 7.75

10 - Beautiful Scars (4:01) - good, solid ballad - 8.25

11 - Trade A Moment (3:55) - nice ballad with a sweet sentiment - 9.00

TOTAL - 80%

I will say that a few good, proper spins don't hurt this at all - gives you a real taste for the full thing. The ballad middle section is a bit of a curveball, but when they are all great songs it doesn't matter too much. A very easy album to listen from start to end. Bone crunching moments to nice tender melodic moments... all gels together very nice.

• My Little Pony

I remember you saying something you heard on it sounded a little "nu-metal" but I'm not sure if you heard the full thing. This is how I felt about it in detail:

1 - Outlaws (3:34) - good heavy rock opener with a big chorus - 7.75

2 - O God, Save Us All (3:20) - another good, solid heavy rocker - 7.50

3 - R.I.P. (2:50) - pretty tasty anthemic rocker - huge and really catchy chorus - 7.75

4 - Once And For All (3:35) - very nice ballad - 8.50

5 - Someday (3:51) - very good ballad - a little better than the previous one - 8.75

6 - Draw The Line (3:26) - and the best of the ballads - 9.00

7 - Kings (2:55) - solid modern hard rock but not the best on the album for sure - 7.00

8 - Unstoppable (2:39) - another solid modern rocker, almost nu-metal - 7.00

9 - The One (3:03) - nice big hard rocker with an anthem chorus once more - 7.75

10 - Beautiful Scars (4:01) - good, solid ballad - 8.25

11 - Trade A Moment (3:55) - nice ballad with a sweet sentiment - 9.00

TOTAL - 80%

I will say that a few good, proper spins don't hurt this at all - gives you a real taste for the full thing. The ballad middle section is a bit of a curveball, but when they are all great songs it doesn't matter too much. A very easy album to listen from start to end. Bone crunching moments to nice tender melodic moments... all gels together very nice.

I missed this one, as well.

I ranked Disciple: "O God Save Us All" as my #1 album of 2012, as I love this CD from start to finish. As Geoff rightly points out, they have some kick-butt metal tunes mixed with some very melodic commercial tracks, and they're all filled with great hooks regardless of whether they're slamming out the aggression or eloquently delivering a power ballad. Even better, these guys have a lyrical depth that is so much greater than your typical modern Christian band. Nothing wrong with "Praise Jesus" type lyrics, but Disciple probe so much deeper than that and know how to make an impact (at least with me). So, yeah, this was my favorite album of 2012 and easily one of Disciple's best to date.

• My Little Pony

I ranked Disciple: "O God Save Us All" as my #1 album of 2012, as I love this CD from start to finish. As Geoff rightly points out, they have some kick-butt metal tunes mixed with some very melodic commercial tracks, and they're all filled with great hooks regardless of whether they're slamming out the aggression or eloquently delivering a power ballad. Even better, these guys have a lyrical depth that is so much greater than your typical modern Christian band. Nothing wrong with "Praise Jesus" type lyrics, but Disciple probe so much deeper than that and know how to make an impact (at least with me). So, yeah, this was my favorite album of 2012 and easily one of Disciple's best to date.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I love these guys. The Classic Crime are the same. Powerful and challenging lyrics.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I love these guys. The Classic Crime are the same. Powerful and challenging lyrics.

Yeah, the great thing about Disciple is I know they're a christian band because it's a common fact, but you I wouldn't necessarily ever pick it up from the new album because most the songs can be taken any way you interpret it. Honestly, I think it's got all the traits for an album of the year and it's a nice choice. Certainly thumps the shit out of the new Shinedown disc which so many people seem to be stuck on. Glad to see it was appreciated by another here, and hopefully a few others soon.