May 2010

Glen

Check out this 10 day period in May -

12.05 - HEAT

14.05 - Y & T

14.05 - Pretty Maids

21.05 - Masterplan

nice. very nice.

That's nice mate. When are the 10 days of 'Rock bliss' though?

12.05 - HEAT

14.05 - Y & T

14.05 - Pretty Maids

21.05 - Masterplan

nice. very nice.

Ouch! :P

12.05 - HEAT

14.05 - Y & T

14.05 - Pretty Maids

21.05 - Masterplan

nice. very nice.

Glen knows I was just kidding. Would actually really like to see H.E.A.T live...

2010 may beat 2008 as the best year in music over the past 15 years. Stunning releses one after the other. May sounds great and my March kicked ass.

12.05 - HEAT

14.05 - Y & T

14.05 - Pretty Maids

21.05 - Masterplan

nice. very nice.

Glen knows I was just kidding. Would actually really like to see H.E.A.T live...

they are release dates mate....just checking youre on the same wavelength..

yeah suppose you are.

That said, HEAT are playing London when im in Devon (last week in May).....fucked luck or what! doh

2010 may beat 2008 as the best year in music over the past 15 years. Stunning releses one after the other. May sounds great and my March kicked ass.

Agree 100%!

April ain't going to be shabby either with Crashdiet and Chris Laney...

They're due this month too?! WOWSER! I couldn't give a shit about Masterplan, but my balls are sweating in anticipation for the other 5 albums.

Agree 100%!

They're due this month too?! WOWSER! I couldn't give a shit about Masterplan, but my balls are sweating in anticipation for the other 5 albums.

I reckon that new Masterplan will be pretty damned good....looking forward to hearing this much more than another boring plodding Jorn solo effort.

Agree 100%!

I reckon that new Masterplan will be pretty damned good....looking forward to hearing this much more than another boring plodding Jorn solo effort.

Having heard the new Crashdiet, that one easily slots into my assumed top 4 of the year so far (Treat, Crazy Lixx, Crashdiet and Ratt).

Unless I'm missing a whole lot of discs then I just can't agree with this. The only top-quality discs (outside of the heavier stuff) have been Treat and Story of the Year. I kinda liked the new H.E.A.T tunes so am guessing that has potential, but otherwise I've no idea what people are getting excited about - unless they've just lowered their standards these days?

Unless I'm missing a whole lot of discs then I just can't agree with this. The only top-quality discs (outside of the heavier stuff) have been Treat and Story of the Year. I kinda liked the new H.E.A.T tunes so am guessing that has potential, but otherwise I've no idea what people are getting excited about - unless they've just lowered their standards these days?

well I guess people are referring to Crazy Lixx (awesome 80's styled hard rock with sleaze overtones), Ratt (arguably one of their best albums...massive 80s rock), Reckless Love (im not quite as filled with glee over this one but it is a good release), Treat (one of the best MHR albums in the last 10 yrs), Crashdiet (not heard it yet, but if Geoff describes it as their best it must be well good), new Chris Laney due in April.

Then in May.....Pretty Maids (promises to be very good)... Y&T, Masterplan, HEAT all promise big things.

& still to come later in the year....Journey, Work Of Art, Vega, Drive She Said, White Sister, Shining Line (project album), Terry Brock, Bangalore Choir and Nelson.

If you cant get excited by those prospects id suggest youre on the wrong site ;-))

Yeah, I think in melodic rock the year has started well and promises to deliver more great releases. The sheer quality of Treat and Crashdiet alone is a lot better than many releases from recent years, and there are still some very promising releases to come. I think the fact that Reckless Love is such a good release, but was also so easily eclipsed by Treat and Crashdiet just shows me how strong some of the melodic rock stuff is this year.

On the other hand, I'm seriously starting to wonder if modern rock has done it's dash, perhaps? Aside from Story of the Year there have been a few cool releases like Lifehouse, Before Their Eyes, Destine and Without Tomorrow... but the overall standard is about a million percent down on recent years.

well I guess people are referring to Crazy Lixx (awesome 80's styled hard rock with sleaze overtones), Ratt (arguably one of their best albums...massive 80s rock), Reckless Love (im not quite as filled with glee over this one but it is a good release), Treat (one of the best MHR albums in the last 10 yrs), Crashdiet (not heard it yet, but if Geoff describes it as their best it must be well good), new Chris Laney due in April.

Then in May.....Pretty Maids (promises to be very good)... Y&T, Masterplan, HEAT all promise big things.

& still to come later in the year....Journey, Work Of Art, Vega, Drive She Said, White Sister, Shining Line (project album), Terry Brock, Bangalore Choir and Nelson.

If you cant get excited by those prospects id suggest youre on the wrong site ;-))

But you seem to get more excited by the prospect of the new discs than the actual albums themselves. I mean, do you seriously think a DRIVE SHE SAID album is going to be great? Or MASTERPLAN? When did they last release a great disc? The CHRIS LANEY album was just decent, and frankly naming RECKLESS LOVE in a list of top albums is absurd. It's good, sure, but if it was released in 1985 it would've been swallowed-up amongst the other discs of the same ilk. Even average bands like TIGERTAILZ made albums as good as that one. It seems that if you don't like that sleezy stuff (or garbage like RATT) you're left with only TREAT, WORK OF ART, and possibly a JOURNEY or NELSON album (though I wouldnt hold my breath). Not great IMO...

Just did some quick updates on my PC and I have to admit after reviewing the year so far I can kind of see what you're saying, Tim. I have been a little blinded by the sheer quality of a handful of releases, as well as my anticipation of at least 5 more that I know will deliver (Crazy Lixx, Ratt, Pretty Maids, HEAT and Chris Laney), but outside of that I guess it is looking a little like last year. Some good releases, but not really that many exceptional ones. My current lists look a little like this:

1 . Treat - Coup de grace

2 . Crashdiet - Generation wild

3 . Reckless Love - s/t

4 . Loveblast - s/t

5 . Taking Dawn - Time to burn

6 . Shylock - Rock buster

7 . Newman - The art of balance

8 . State of Rock - A point of destiny

9 . Wig Wam - Non stop rock n'roll

10 . Edge of Forever - Another paradise

and:

1 . Story of the Year - The Constant

2 . Lifehouse - Smoke and mirrors

3 . Before Their Eyes - Untouchable

4 . Destine - Lightspeed

5 . Kids In Glass Houses - Dirt

6 . You Me At Six - Hold me down

7 . Lostprophets- The Betrayed

8 . The Audition - Great danger

9 . Mutiny Within - s/t

10 . The Bigger Lights - s/t

The highlighted albums I do think are of very high quality, the ones in italics I'm enjoying quite a lot too, but the others that round up the respective top 10's are admittedly not setting my ears alight. That said, there are plenty of good albums like the remainder of my MHR list:

11 . Human Temple - Murder of crows

12 . Giant - Promise land

13 . FM - Metropolis

14 . Avantasia - Angel of Babylon & Wicked Symphony

15 . Rick Springfield & Jeff Silverman - From the vault

16 . Serpentine - A touch of heaven

17 . Last Autumn's Dream - A touch of heaven

18 . Danger Angel - s/t

19 . Liberty N' Justice - Light it up

20 . Hansel - Never say die

21 . Keel - Steets of rock n'roll

22 . Scorpions - Sting in the tail

23 . Angeline - Confessions

24 . China - Light up the dark

25 . Stage Dolls - Always

But yeah, I can see that there is a very valid argument for the fact that there are only a small handful of ball-tearers and a whole lot of good but not amazing discs.

Just did some quick updates on my PC and I have to admit after reviewing the year so far I can kind of see what you're saying, Tim. I have been a little blinded by the sheer quality of a handful of releases, as well as my anticipation of at least 5 more that I know will deliver (Crazy Lixx, Ratt, Pretty Maids, HEAT and Chris Laney), but outside of that I guess it is looking a little like last year. Some good releases, but not really that many exceptional ones. My current lists look a little like this:

3 . Reckless Love - s/t

4 . Loveblast - s/t

and:

4 . Destine - Lightspeed

9 . Mutiny Within - s/t

The highlighted albums I do think are of very high quality, the ones in italics I'm enjoying quite a lot too, but the others that round up the respective top 10's are admittedly not setting my ears alight. That said, there are plenty of good albums like the remainder of my MHR list:

13 . FM - Metropolis

18 . Danger Angel - s/t

But yeah, I can see that there is a very valid argument for the fact that there are only a small handful of ball-tearers and a whole lot of good but not amazing discs.

I think looking at your 11-25 list really sums it up, the stuff in that list ranges from mediocre to garbage IMO. Plus the fact that RECKLESS LOVE, a decent but unspectacular 7/10-type album, is No.3 in your list...

Yeah, but you're pretty harsh on that Reckless Love disc, though. I honestly think that even if it were released back in 1985 it would have been very popular and made quite an impact, and I honestly don't believe there'd have been a force in the world to keep 'Beautiful bomb' off the airwaves. There are a few kind of average tracks on it, but still some amazing tunes that easily sit alongside stuff that was adored in the 80's. And I'm pretty sure it'll only be at number 3 for as long as it takes for me to hear HEAT and Crazy Lixx too. :)

But of my top 10 I am also very fond of the Loveblast CD, which again is a style you hate (the mid 90's US indie hard rock scene) and the Taking Dawn CD (again another style you hate - young bands trying their hand at old school 80's hard rock). Shylock are super consistent too, and that album is really great. And okay, I admit Newman's isn't his best ever, but it's still a well worthwhile album.

It will no doubt be harder for you to appreciate new releases because of your deep hatred for the whole 80's hard rock scene (:lol:;)) but for the average fan of 80's hard rock there is some nice stuff around. The fact that you probably won't even try Crashdiet, or hate it it you do hear it makes me ill to the stomach for what you miss out on with your evil hard-rock-free ways. ;)

Yeah, but you're pretty harsh on that Reckless Love disc, though. I honestly think that even if it were released back in 1985 it would have been very popular and made quite an impact, and I honestly don't believe there'd have been a force in the world to keep 'Beautiful bomb' off the airwaves. There are a few kind of average tracks on it, but still some amazing tunes that easily sit alongside stuff that was adored in the 80's. And I'm pretty sure it'll only be at number 3 for as long as it takes for me to hear HEAT and Crazy Lixx too. :)

But of my top 10 I am also very fond of the Loveblast CD, which again is a style you hate (the mid 90's US indie hard rock scene) and the Taking Dawn CD (again another style you hate - young bands trying their hand at old school 80's hard rock). Shylock are super consistent too, and that album is really great. And okay, I admit Newman's isn't his best ever, but it's still a well worthwhile album.

It will no doubt be harder for you to appreciate new releases because of your deep hatred for the whole 80's hard rock scene (:lol:;)) but for the average fan of 80's hard rock there is some nice stuff around. The fact that you probably won't even try Crashdiet, or hate it it you do hear it makes me ill to the stomach for what you miss out on with your evil hard-rock-free ways. ;)

You're definitely right about "Beautiful Bomb", that should've been a big hit (though Tigertailz song that's very similar "Love Bomb Baby" wasn't exactly a huge hit). I'll give credit where it's due, TAKING DAWN have grown on me - and am looking forward to seeing them live...

I have to say as well, I am very excited about a whole load of Metal albums due out this year: Machine Head, As I Lay Dying, Exodus, Sonic Syndicate (which sounds killer), Annihilator, Soulfly, Nevermore, and who knows? Maybe the BFMV album will be decent too? So the fact I'm less than excited about the MHR stuff due is to be expected...

3 . Reckless Love - s/t

4 . Loveblast - s/t

and:

4 . Destine - Lightspeed

9 . Mutiny Within - s/t

13 . FM - Metropolis

18 . Danger Angel - s/t

I think looking at your 11-25 list really sums it up, the stuff in that list ranges from mediocre to garbage IMO. Plus the fact that RECKLESS LOVE, a decent but unspectacular 7/10-type album, is No.3 in your list...

but we are only in April......

filling spots 11-25 ANY YEAR by april would see some ordinary releases in these positions.

but to have 10 solid released by this stage of the year is quite a feat i think.

3 . Reckless Love - s/t

4 . Loveblast - s/t

and:

4 . Destine - Lightspeed

9 . Mutiny Within - s/t

13 . FM - Metropolis

18 . Danger Angel - s/t

but we are only in April......

filling spots 11-25 ANY YEAR by april would see some ordinary releases in these positions.

but to have 10 solid released by this stage of the year is quite a feat i think.

Well I've probably only heard about 6 or 7 albums this year, let alone be able to produce a list of 25. Though he is really scraping-the-barrel with some of that stuff... Lost Prophets/Stage Dolls/China are all top-grade dog shit.

Man, sometimes, how hard we are on our scene amazes me!

10 years ago, if you had told me that by the beginning of April 2010 (ie 3 bloody months in) we would already be raving about 5 or 6 absolute killer releases which matched up to the 80s id be laughing my socks off and calling for the men in white coats to cart you away to a secure facility.

And to claim that albums like Treat, Crazy Lixx, Taking Dawn, Giant, Ratt, Crashdiet.....hell even Reckless Love, would have been melted into the pack even in the 80s is just ludicrous to me.

And finally trust me when I say that these will all be good -

Journey

Work Of Art

White Sister

Vega (Martin bros)

Toby Hitchcock (same song writing team as WET)

So dont go for one minute thinking that the top slots are all garanteed.

By my reckoning we will have a top 10 by year end which are all worth in excess of 90% and that for me will be a great great year in MHR.

Modern rock Im afraid is dead and buried. I have heard one maybe 2 good releases all year and there's nought on the horizon. doh.

PS @ Geoff....your testicles are in danger mate. Wot was that you said a couple of months back?? If Taking Dawn isnt in my top 10 i'll eat my testicles??

Well with Crazy Lixx, Ratt, HEAT and Chris Laney all about to hit your doorstep, that is getting a bit close for comfort lol ;-))

I think this makes my point perfectly.

10 years ago, if you had told me that by the beginning of April 2010 (ie 3 bloody months in) we would already be raving about 5 or 6 absolute killer releases which matched up to the 80s id be laughing my socks off and calling for the men in white coats to cart you away to a secure facility.

And to claim that albums like Treat, Crazy Lixx, Taking Dawn, Giant, Ratt, Crashdiet.....hell even Reckless Love, would have been melted into the pack even in the 80s is just ludicrous to me.

Journey

Work Of Art

White Sister

Vega (Martin bros)

By my reckoning we will have a top 10 by year end which are all worth in excess of 90% and that for me will be a great great year in MHR.

Modern rock Im afraid is dead and buried. I have heard one maybe 2 good releases all year and there's nought on the horizon. doh.

Sorry mate, I couldn't possibly disagree more with your assessment. My ears aren't telling me there have been 5 or 6 killer releases at all. My overall view on the Melodic Rock genre is that it's been a very poor and slow start to 2010, and frankly needs to get better otherwise it won't be commercially viable beyond the next decade. I'm sure stuff like H.E.A.T and WORK OF ART will be great, but frankly there's been very little so far to bother spending my money on. Thank God for TREAT, is all I can say...

Journey

Work Of Art

White Sister

Vega (Martin bros)

Sorry mate, I couldn't possibly disagree more with your assessment. My ears aren't telling me there have been 5 or 6 killer releases at all. My overall view on the Melodic Rock genre is that it's been a very poor and slow start to 2010, and frankly needs to get better otherwise it won't be commercially viable beyond the next decade. I'm sure stuff like H.E.A.T and WORK OF ART will be great, but frankly there's been very little so far to bother spending my money on. Thank God for TREAT, is all I can say...

Mate, sometimes I wonder if you listen to the same albums as me.

Have you even heard Crazy Lixx, or are you just dismissing it as a sleaze rock album?

Huge mistake if you are as for me it comes across as all the best elements of Skid Row, early BJ (minus keys) and even touches of Def Leppard.

& the Ratt album is definitely up there with their best albums. You might hate Ratt, but they pretty much epitomised MHR in the 80s for me. Huge album.

Claiming that this is a weak period for MHR is madness IMO.