Strangeways - fillers explained

Geoff

Over in some Atlantic thread somewhere Jez and Tim were questioning my awesome words when I laid down the facts, that as good as Strangeways were, the second halves of their two most popular albums were littered with fillers. So, I made a promise in blood that when Soundwave was over I'd spin the 2 Strangeways CDs in question (I think we all agreed the debut is great) - 'Native Sons' and 'Walk in fire' and point out the fillers. This morning I spun 'Native Sons' and here's the breakdown of my proof:

1. Dance With Somebody ; this song is only okay at best itself. Not exactly great by any means and maybe just above filler territory.

2. Only a Fool ; AOR bliss.

3. So Far Away ; AOR perfection.

4. Where Do We Go From Here ; excellent melodic rock.

5. Goodnight L.A. ; very good ballad.

(And now, to the second half)

6. Empty Streets ; good verses, but I hate this "pop" style chorus.

7. Stand Up and Shout ; love the "you're on your own part" of the chorus, but that's it. Hate the rest of the chorus - sounds like cheesy 80's pop.

8. Shake the Seven ; nice verses but again, another poor chorus with annoying keys. Not the worst song here, but definite filler material.

9. Never Going to Lose It ; Not a bad song but on the brink of losing it again with a pretty average chorus. Better than the other 3 on the 2nd half of the disc.

10. Face to Face ; good closing tune.

'Walk in the fire' to follow tomorrow.

Sir there are no fillers on Walk In The Fire.

...Or 'Native Sons', that's what we keep trying to tell him.. :aw:

lol. I'll let you know tomorrow if you guys are right or not. I curse my memory, but if that cursed memory serves me correctly, it is a pretty similar story on that album, with a killer first half and a second half that dips off severely in terms of quality. I personally await with a mild erection for tomorrow's update.

lol. I'll let you know tomorrow if you guys are right or not. I curse my memory, but if that cursed memory serves me correctly, it is a pretty similar story on that album, with a killer first half and a second half that dips off severely in terms of quality. I personally await with a mild erection for tomorrow's update.

If you even mention 'After the Hurts Is Gone' 'Walk In The Fire' or 'Modern World' in the same breath as filler, I shall personally come over there and rip your nuts off mate ;)

If you even mention 'After the Hurts Is Gone' 'Walk In The Fire' or 'Modern World' in the same breath as filler, I shall personally come over there and rip your nuts off mate ;)

:lol: To be totally honest, the 2nd half of 'Native Sons' wasn't quite as bad as I thought it was, so maybe I've got a slightly overblown impression of the second half of 'Walk in the fire' too. I hope not, though, as it'd be cool to sit back and have a beer with you after you've stolen my nuts. :lol:

geoff's voracious appetite for modern rock is to blame... :christmas:

So 'Only a Fool', 'So Far Away', 'Where Do We Go From Here' and 'Goodnight L.A' are modern rock classics then? They must be. It can't be as simple as the fact that I like good melodic rock songs but not bad songs. I obviously only like modern rock songs like 'Only a Fool', 'So Far Away', 'Where Do We Go From Here' and 'Goodnight L.A'.

So 'Only a Fool', 'So Far Away', 'Where Do We Go From Here' and 'Goodnight L.A' are modern rock classics then? They must be. It can't be as simple as the fact that I like good melodic rock songs but not bad songs. I obviously only like modern rock songs like 'Only a Fool', 'So Far Away', 'Where Do We Go From Here' and 'Goodnight L.A'.

you misunderstood me, me thinks :beerbang:

No, mate. I think you misunderstand yourself. I know exactly what you're saying and your mentor, AOR Freaky would be proud of his most prized student. ;)

BTW, how's that disc of modern rock gems I sent you a few years going anyway? That one where you said you thought every song on it was great. Remember that one mate? Or was it 2 discs of modern melodic rock bliss? ;)

Whereas I didn't think "Native Sons" was completely flawless, there are certainly no fillers on it. Same with "Walk In The Fire", which may dip slightly in quality in the middle but that dip is from classic to great rather than containing any sort of filler. It also has some of the best vocals ever to be heard on an AOR album.

Whereas I didn't think "Native Sons" was completely flawless, there are certainly no fillers on it. Same with "Walk In The Fire", which may dip slightly in quality in the middle but that dip is from classic to great rather than containing any sort of filler. It also has some of the best vocals ever to be heard on an AOR album.

See, on a much, much lesser degree we're kind of on a similar page. Yes the vocals, music and production are excellent. They really are. But having just listened to it then I recall back to the last time I heard it. It's a good disc, no doubt, but imo not quite the classic it is made out to be at all. If you want my honest opinion, like I said in the other thread, the first 2 Dare albums are much better than the 2 Strangeways discs in question, Atlantic's debut is better overall than either album, imo, and I know you hate seeing this, but I MUCH prefer the Blue Blud disc too. In fact, I would go as far as to say you could take the best 10 songs from the 2 Strangeways disc and you still wouldn't have an album as good as Blue Blud's debut. Yes the vocals and production are 100 times superior on Strangeways, but I don't give a shit about that. :lol:

Anyway, it doesn't fade like I thought, but here's my quick opinion on 'Walk in fire':

1. Where Are They Now ; truly an excellent opener. Without a doubt the 2nd best song on the CD.

2. Danger in Your Eyes ; surprisingly average track. Not quite a filler, but simple and unspectacular.

3. Love Lies Dying ; nice melodic rock tune

4. Every Time You Cry ; too stunning for words. Probably the reason why I have such a high opinion of this CD alone. Remains one of the best songs I've heard in my life.

5. Talk to Me ; average rock tune. Not bad, but again it's a little ordinary.

6. Living in the Dange Zone ; good solid melodic rock.

7. Modern World ; another good tune. Not amazing, but good enough.

8. Into the Night ; not a perfect song, but a perfect pre-chorus makes it a winner.

9. Walk in the Fire ; another one that's fine, but a little unspectacular.

10. After the Hurts Is Gone ; very good closing track.

So yeah, I was wrong. It's not an album of two halves, but having said that the overall product is not quite as good as I thought it was.

See, on a much, much lesser degree we're kind of on a similar page. Yes the vocals, music and production are excellent. They really are. But having just listened to it then I recall back to the last time I heard it. It's a good disc, no doubt, but imo not quite the classic it is made out to be at all. If you want my honest opinion, like I said in the other thread, the first 2 Dare albums are much better than the 2 Strangeways discs in question, Atlantic's debut is better overall than either album, imo, and I know you hate seeing this, but I MUCH prefer the Blue Blud disc too. In fact, I would go as far as to say you could take the best 10 songs from the 2 Strangeways disc and you still wouldn't have an album as good as Blue Blud's debut. Yes the vocals and production are 100 times superior on Strangeways, but I don't give a shit about that. :lol:

Honestly, I think you're opinion that the BLUE BLUD debut or the ATLANTIC album are better than "Walk In The Fire" will be a very very lonely one. Personally "Out of the Silence" would probably edge-out "Walk In The Fire", but that's because the DARE debut is the best British AOR album ever released. The only real killer tune that ATLANTIC wrote that would've made it onto this album is "Power Over Me", and even then you simply can't compare the vocals of Brock to those of their vocalist - and there is definitely not a single track from BLUE BLUD that would've even made a STRANGEWAYS album of B-sides. FM/DARE/STRANGEWAYS are legendary AOR bands for one very good reason - they were among the best at what they do. It's the same reason why the members of bands like BLUE BLUD and ATLANTIC (as well as other failed copycats like OUTSIDE EDGE) are probably emptying my rubbish bins early every Monday morning.....

Honestly, I think you're opinion that the BLUE BLUD debut or the ATLANTIC album are better than "Walk In The Fire" will be a very very lonely one. Personally "Out of the Silence" would probably edge-out "Walk In The Fire", but that's because the DARE debut is the best British AOR album ever released. The only real killer tune that ATLANTIC wrote that would've made it onto this album is "Power Over Me", and even then you simply can't compare the vocals of Brock to those of their vocalist - and there is definitely not a single track from BLUE BLUD that would've even made a STRANGEWAYS album of B-sides. FM/DARE/STRANGEWAYS are legendary AOR bands for one very good reason - they were among the best at what they do. It's the same reason why the members of bands like BLUE BLUD and ATLANTIC (as well as other failed copycats like OUTSIDE EDGE) are probably emptying my rubbish bins early every Monday morning.....

:lol: Yeah, no worries mate. It simply comes down to the fact that when we're comparing these albums you and I are looking for completely different things. For one thing, the vocals are of NO importance to me. Yes, a better voice is a better thing but when comparing these bands, to me all the vocalists are fine and all it comes down to is songs.

For me personally, I think there are one or two fillers on each of these discs, but generally Blue Blud's 'The Big Noise', Dare's 'Blood from stone' and FM's 'Tough it out' are all absolutely amazing, filled to the brim with totally killer tracks. In a league of their own.

Dare's debut, along with the 2 Strangeways albums and the Atlantic CD would all be on the next tier for me. Probably ranked: Dare, Atlantic and the 2 Strangeways albums but there would be so little in it. To me, there are no blatant fillers on the Atlantic disc and several killers. A couple of fillers on Dare, but mostly excellent stuff, and Strangeways as discussed above.

Of course a Blue Blud song wouldn't make a Strangeways b-side, because they're completely different bands. I know you don't really like the Blue Blud style of music, but I love it. And as you know, I adore Outside Edge too... so as I say, we're just looking for totally different things from these CDs.

Over in some Atlantic thread somewhere Jez and Tim were questioning my awesome words when I laid down the facts, that as good as Strangeways were, the second halves of their two most popular albums were littered with fillers. So, I made a promise in blood that when Soundwave was over I'd spin the 2 Strangeways CDs in question (I think we all agreed the debut is great) - 'Native Sons' and 'Walk in fire' and point out the fillers. This morning I spun 'Native Sons' and here's the breakdown of my proof:

1. Dance With Somebody ; this song is only okay at best itself. Not exactly great by any means and maybe just above filler territory.

7. Stand Up and Shout ; love the "you're on your own part" of the chorus, but that's it. Hate the rest of the chorus - sounds like cheesy 80's pop.

8. Shake the Seven ; nice verses but again, another poor chorus with annoying keys. Not the worst song here, but definite filler material.

9. Never Going to Lose It ; Not a bad song but on the brink of losing it again with a pretty average chorus. Better than the other 3 on the 2nd half of the disc.

I actually think that's a pretty fair assessment of that album. Goodnight LA is however stunning and probably my fav Strangeways track....always loved that song.

'Walk In The Fire' is probably the stronger album.

Either way both albums piss on the Atlantic release, but are not better than Dare's debut.

Cheers

No, mate. I think you misunderstand yourself. I know exactly what you're saying and your mentor, AOR Freaky would be proud of his most prized student. ;)

BTW, how's that disc of modern rock gems I sent you a few years going anyway? That one where you said you thought every song on it was great. Remember that one mate? Or was it 2 discs of modern melodic rock bliss? ;)

hey, you promised to keep that convo as our secret. I'm almost heartbroken now :(

this is worst than my public humiliation at the hands of "matty boo" :(

just when I thought I should send over a unreleased fate demo or few you've been craving for.. you go do this to me. :)

hey, you promised to keep that convo as our secret. I'm almost heartbroken now :(

this is worst than my public humiliation at the hands of "matty boo" :(

just when I thought I should send over a unreleased fate demo or few you've been craving for.. you go do this to me. :)

You shouldn't be embarrassed by what you like, mate. Contrary to what you and AOR Freaky preach, liking modern rock doesn't make any difference at all to your appreciation of melodic rock / AOR.

As for the Fate demos, I expect them from you when Jesus Himself hand delivers them to me. :lol: How you enjoying those Shake The Jungle tunes I kindly sent you? Just as I would any other tunes you'd be interested to hear. Wish we were all like that. :lol:;)

:lol: Yeah, no worries mate. It simply comes down to the fact that when we're comparing these albums you and I are looking for completely different things. For one thing, the vocals are of NO importance to me. Yes, a better voice is a better thing but when comparing these bands, to me all the vocalists are fine and all it comes down to is songs.

For me personally, I think there are one or two fillers on each of these discs, but generally Blue Blud's 'The Big Noise', Dare's 'Blood from stone' and FM's 'Tough it out' are all absolutely amazing, filled to the brim with totally killer tracks. In a league of their own.

Dare's debut, along with the 2 Strangeways albums and the Atlantic CD would all be on the next tier for me. Probably ranked: Dare, Atlantic and the 2 Strangeways albums but there would be so little in it. To me, there are no blatant fillers on the Atlantic disc and several killers. A couple of fillers on Dare, but mostly excellent stuff, and Strangeways as discussed above.

Of course a Blue Blud song wouldn't make a Strangeways b-side, because they're completely different bands. I know you don't really like the Blue Blud style of music, but I love it. And as you know, I adore Outside Edge too... so as I say, we're just looking for totally different things from these CDs.

Well I guess I'm just less worried about an album having fillers and more interested in how many truly great songs there are. The ATLANTIC album is pretty much excellent throughout (apart from "Bad Blood"), but only "Power Over Me" and maybe "When The War Is Over" are killer tunes. Another 3 or 4 are excellent, with the last 3 or 4 being pretty average. In terms of BLUE BLUD - putting aside the obvious fact that it sounds like it was recorded on a cheap mobile phone - then only "Running Back" and "Love Grows Wild" are killers IMO. Then you have a bunch of excellent tunes ("One More Night", "I Can't Wait", "Never Rains in England" etc), and then the last couple which are average. "Walk In The Fire" has at least 5/6 outright KILLER tunes....

wot matters to all us aor fans who adore strangeways 1st 3 albums ... agree we all have favs and not so favs..makes it all intresterting.question now is can they follow up to walk in fire?...mitch

probably not. My betting is it will be good, but not great

Anyway, it doesn't fade like I thought, but here's my quick opinion on 'Walk in fire':

1. Where Are They Now ; truly an excellent opener. Without a doubt the 2nd best song on the CD.

2. Danger in Your Eyes ; surprisingly average track. Not quite a filler, but simple and unspectacular.

4. Every Time You Cry ; too stunning for words. Probably the reason why I have such a high opinion of this CD alone. Remains one of the best songs I've heard in my life.

8. Into the Night ; not a perfect song, but a perfect pre-chorus makes it a winner.

So yeah, I was wrong. It's not an album of two halves, but having said that the overall product is not quite as good as I thought it was.

Yes "Every Time You Cry" is my favorite ballad of all time just flawless. For the most part I agree with you 100 percent.

• 7 years later...

So here's the first half, just to boost Geoff's ego...

R-3982424-1436392156-1476.jpeg.jpg

R-3982424-1436392158-3047.jpeg.jpg

And part 2 for Mr. G....

R-4228862-1436392055-2161.jpeg.jpg

R-4228862-1436392053-8390.jpeg.jpg