Houston

rockdoc

Not bad. Pretty typical sounding AOR, very heavy keys and a pretty thin production... but I guess it's okay. I'd be interested to hear a full disc.

Have to agree with Geoff. Not bad but could be so much better. Maybe an album mix will get rid of that tinny sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

This is good, this is very good. Does exactly what is is meant to do :headbanger:

Absolutely backed !! :drink:

I am getting more into AOR as I get older <creak> but 'Hold On' and 'Misery' just have too much by way of keys for me. I do really like 'Truth Slips' though and will see if I can download it from Amazon or iTunes. I need to investigate more AOR that isn't too keyboard-dominated, maybe I'll post a separate thread on the subject..... :unsure:

I am getting more into AOR as I get older <creak> but 'Hold On' and 'Misery' just have too much by way of keys for me. I do really like 'Truth Slips' though and will see if I can download it from Amazon or iTunes. I need to investigate more AOR that isn't too keyboard-dominated, maybe I'll post a separate thread on the subject..... :unsure:

I've been meaning to comment on this when I had some time for the board, but I must admit I was quite startled the other day with Jez's comment that the White Widdow CD had too many keys. I've always seen a distinct difference between a ballsy hard rock band that use keys quite heavily, but tastefully (prime examples are 'Prisoners in Paradise' from Europe or 'Organized Crime' by Treat) and I'd put White Widdow in this category in a second. They almost remind me of Masquerade a little, who also used keys heavily, but there is no doubt the guitarist stole the show there and the keys were only secondary to the magic that the guitar/bass and drums were creating. I think White Widdow are similar. Either way, that whole vibe is worlds apart from pure AOR bands like Houston, for example, who are driven by the keys and the other instruments behind it are quite lightweight... imo. Anyway, I'll discuss it more when I have some time again, I hope. For the record, I like Houston. But I know what you mean that it is very light stuff.

I've been meaning to comment on this when I had some time for the board, but I must admit I was quite startled the other day with Jez's comment that the White Widdow CD had too many keys. I've always seen a distinct difference between a ballsy hard rock band that use keys quite heavily, but tastefully (prime examples are 'Prisoners in Paradise' from Europe or 'Organized Crime' by Treat) and I'd put White Widdow in this category in a second. They almost remind me of Masquerade a little, who also used keys heavily, but there is no doubt the guitarist stole the show there and the keys were only secondary to the magic that the guitar/bass and drums were creating. I think White Widdow are similar. Either way, that whole vibe is worlds apart from pure AOR bands like Houston, for example, who are driven by the keys and the other instruments behind it are quite lightweight... imo. Anyway, I'll discuss it more when I have some time again, I hope. For the record, I like Houston. But I know what you mean that it is very light stuff.

After another few spins, the keys on the White Widdow were more in the way they use them rather than my problem with the amount I think. Maybe it was the rough mix (which the advance leaks are meant to be) but they seemed to be crammed into every bit of the song just for the sake of it, rather than a more pure AOR sound where, as you say, they are more of the main instrument. They seemed to be overdone to me, but I'll wait to hear the finished cd and my initial opinion may change.

After another few spins, the keys on the White Widdow were more in the way they use them rather than my problem with the amount I think. Maybe it was the rough mix (which the advance leaks are meant to be) but they seemed to be crammed into every bit of the song just for the sake of it, rather than a more pure AOR sound where, as you say, they are more of the main instrument. They seemed to be overdone to me, but I'll wait to hear the finished cd and my initial opinion may change.

True indeed, my friend. I'd also assume that with the final mix it'll all gel a little more. Loved what I've heard so far anyway, but I'm sure the final product will be completely ironed out. :) Party.

• 5 months later...

Been listening to the female vocals on 'Truth Slips', courtesy of Helena Alsterhed. My brief research reveals that everything else she's done has been folk, which isn't up my street at all. Just wondering - are there any other female rock singers who sound very similar to her? I absolutely love her voice and would be keen to hear more of the same or similar. Anyone?

Been listening to the female vocals on 'Truth Slips', courtesy of Helena Alsterhed. My brief research reveals that everything else she's done has been folk, which isn't up my street at all. Just wondering - are there any other female rock singers who sound very similar to her? I absolutely love her voice and would be keen to hear more of the same or similar. Anyone?

Sounds great on the record.....sounded not so great live :-(

She was there just to sing on one track?

Dunno mate, there are 2 birds in the band so just assumed that was her....maybe not??

Dunno mate, there are 2 birds in the band so just assumed that was her....maybe not??

Well, she only sings on 'Truth Slips', so was there a bird who only sang on that? What did she do for the rest of the gig?

Did she look like this?:

DSCF6064_1.jpg

Well, she only sings on 'Truth Slips', so was there a bird who only sang on that? What did she do for the rest of the gig?

Did she look like this?:

DSCF6064_1.jpg

Mmmm, yeah maybe...except dressed in all white lol. Ridiculous band really!

I quite like their songs, but seemed like they were taking the piss live??

No suggestions as to similar vocalists? I'm gutted she only appears to have sung on one rock song in her career (so far).