Before you leave a store

cdjunky41

I don't know about you all, but I got burned a few times in a matter of months.

Last month, I went to a thrift store and picked up a TURBONEGRO-SCANDINAVIAN LEATHER c.d. Bought it home and no c.d.. I know it was my fault because I didn't check it out before I left the store. For the $2.00 I spent on it, no big deal! Plus the money the thrift store makes, goes to a hospital.

Yesterday, my friends and I just got back from a store and the same thing.

Driving home, my friends son noticed his THE CASUALTIES c.d. was not in the case. He's not making a big deal out of it, but still annoyed. I was going over my finds this morning (I picked up two in the used bin yesterday). I noticed my JOETOWN-PILLS AND AMMO c.d. was missing. For the $4.00 I spent on the c.d., it's not worth the $5.00 worth of gas I will spend on a journey back today.

I usually check these things out with certain stores, but the used c.d.'s from this store have a security device on them. You can't actually check them out while letting your fingers do the walkin'.

Does this happen to a lot of you or am I the only moron?

I'm pretty ridiculous when it comes to buying used cds where I look at all the discs before I even pay for them looking at scratches and of course to make sure it's the actual disc.

Recently I noticed a Skid Row 'Slave' disc that the case had it as the un-edited version(w/Get the Fuck Out) but the cd was the edited version(w/Beggars Day). I pointed it out to the clerk and he looked at me with the look of 'what a geek'. :lol:

I'm pretty ridiculous when it comes to buying used cds where I look at all the discs before I even pay for them looking at scratches and of course to make sure it's the actual disc.

Recently I noticed a Skid Row 'Slave' disc that the case had it as the un-edited version(w/Get the Fuck Out) but the cd was the edited version(w/Beggars Day). I pointed it out to the clerk and he looked at me with the look of 'what a geek'. :lol:

Right you are Wes! (About the c.d., not about the geek comment).

I see many c.d.'s that look like remastered versions, but you need to know if that's what's inside).

I picked up a Def Leppard - Hysteria cd among about 10 others last year at a pawn shop. I checked all of the cases to make sure the cd's were in them and scratches were acceptable. Everything seemed ok until I got home and while putting the cd's into new cases realized the Hysteria case actually had an Adrenalize cd inside. I never realized how similar the two cd's look! Luckily the guy there allowed me to exchange it for something different with minimum hassle.

I'm with you guys I've some experiences like that. I actually bought a sealed cd from Walmart a couple of years ago (Metal Madness w/Icon, Helix, Saxon, Waysted etc.) & just opened it recently & guess what? NO cd!! I was so shocked I didnt even try 2 return it...By the way if anyone needs the inserts to it fell free to pm me...we also have some chain stores called Vintage Stock in my area & when they first opened they just had the empty cases in the racks & they kept the actual cd's behind the counter...Well everytime I would find a hard to find cd they could never find it in their file drawers...used to really piss me off & I finally told them that they needed to get a new system. Well lo & behold now they shrinkwrap the cases w/ the cd inside w/ those little security strips inside. I can't look at the condition but I haven't had any problems since then...

I generally try to check everything's okay as they're putting the CDs in the case. Over here, either the CDs are in the case on the shelves - in which case I always check them out - or all the cases are empty and they put the CD in when you pay for the discs. Sadly, sometimes I lose concentration and sure enough the two or three times this has happened I've got home and the wrong CD is in the case. Only happened literally two or three times before, but it's very frustrating, especially if it's a CD you were really excited about getting.

I always try to look over a used CD before heading to the counter with it...

I was gonna pick up a copy of the Beastie Boys' LICENSED TO ILL (! Yes, really!) at a thrift store a couple of weeks ago... till I opened it to check out the condition of the disc and there was no CD in the jewelcase at all. So much for that one. :(

A couple of years ago I was in a used store and just about sh*t myself when I found a bunch of those 2-CD Iron Maiden reissues from Castle Records. I was (and still am) missing several of the CDs from that set so I grabbed three or four of 'em and was standing on the line for the register, credit card in hand and everything, when I opened one of'em to check it out... and the second CD was missing!! The CD of the actual album was there, the little index card with the track listing for the 2nd disc was there, but the bonus disc was gone. I looked in the others I was about to buy, and same deal -- the bonus disc was missing out of all of them. I can only assume that they were sold to the store without the bonus disc(s), or that the 2nd CD was shoplifted out of each of 'em before I found 'em. Either way, I hope whoever did it is roasting in Hell for getting my hopes up. :crying:

• 1 month later...

I bought the Evergrey - One Night 2DVD set from Dixon's in Melbourne the other day and a few days went to play it and saw the 1st DVD was missing. As I ripped off the sticker number they couldn't track it.... sigh....

FUCK ME!!! :doh:

It happened again!!!

I went to F.Y.E. by my job and picked up ROCKSTAR - SUPERNOVA c.d.

I couldn't look at it, because they shrinkwrap their used c.d.'s.

Bought it home and there was a different c.d. in the case.. That's like the 3rd or 4th time this year (Were only in march :thppt: )..

I grabbed the Tesla 2 disc edition of Reel today and was going to check out but thankfully decided I wanted to check the condition of the CD's since it was only $5. Well, no disc 2. Bummer.

Guest artofmetal

Yeah, I've been burned several times. Anymore I make a certain effort to control my excitement when I find something good and want to rush to the counter immediately to make the purchase. That's where I always get burned. Anymore I make an effort to stop, check the disc, check for cutouts, holepunches(cuz I also miss these when I get to excited about what I just found). But it seems like however careful I am I still get burned. I think it's just part of the game

• 3 weeks later...

I always try to look over a used CD before heading to the counter with it...

I was gonna pick up a copy of the Beastie Boys' LICENSED TO ILL (! Yes, really!) at a thrift store a couple of weeks ago... till I opened it to check out the condition of the disc and there was no CD in the jewelcase at all. So much for that one. :(

I stopped at the same thrift store described above earlier today and the same thing happened again!!! I found three CDs that I would've bought -- Led Zeppelin II, Ministry PSALM 69, and Salty Dog's EVERY DOG HAS ITS DAY. Remembering my prior experience, I opened the cases to all three and there were no CDs in any of them!! WTF?? I took them up to the front desk, showed them the empty cases and asked if perhaps they were storing the actual CDs behind the counter now, but nope. They told me I could have the empty cases if I wanted. I was like "What the hell am I gonna do with empty CD cases?" Duh.

Now I'm curious if someone is shoplifting the CDs from this store and leaving the cases behind, or if people are careless enough to donate them without the discs in them!!

Either way, :thppt: to this store for not bothering to check the merch before putting it on the shelves!!

It might not be a bad idea to keep the empty cases. I know it's a long shot, but you just might run across the same CD that's missing the inserts. Put two and two together and you have a complete CD. In fact I have a whole stack of CDs and inserts that I've been collecting for a long time, and maybe some day I'll start finding the other half of the ones I need (example: I have the inserts to the Pound of Flesh - s/t just no CD, that's one I really want to find it's other half) Anyway, that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth...

It might not be a bad idea to keep the empty cases. I know it's a long shot, but you just might run across the same CD that's missing the inserts. Put two and two together and you have a complete CD. In fact I have a whole stack of CDs and inserts that I've been collecting for a long time, and maybe some day I'll start finding the other half of the ones I need (example: I have the inserts to the Pound of Flesh - s/t just no CD, that's one I really want to find it's other half) Anyway, that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth...

Good Idea, but you might have that empty case for years..

Then again, your talkin' to a guy that buys c.d.'s for better inserts and booklets.. :whistle:

...which is why I didn't bother taking the empty cases. That was the first time I'd run across a copy of that Salty Dog CD in dog years, who the hell knows when (or if) I'll ever find one again? :blink:

Then again, your talkin' to a guy that buys c.d.'s for better inserts and booklets.. :whistle:

Well hey, if you need new inserts for Led Zeppelin II, PSALM 69, or Salty Dog, lemme know... I can get you a real deal on 'em. :lol:

...which is why I didn't bother taking the empty cases. That was the first time I'd run across a copy of that Salty Dog CD in dog years, who the hell knows when (or if) I'll ever find one again? :blink:

Well hey, if you need new inserts for Led Zeppelin II, PSALM 69, or Salty Dog, lemme know... I can get you a real deal on 'em. :lol:

I'm good Keef!

Mine actually have the c.d.'s in it :lol:

Silver pressed as well.. :rofl2:

• 3 weeks later...
Guest trendkill196

I`ve done this 1000 times and sometimes I still get caught up in the moment, and forget to check!

I bought a rap cd (to sell) its about a $600 cd, got it home and it wasn`t there. Bummer!

• 6 months later...

We have two used CD places in my town with different locations. One sells them with the CD in, the other has just the case then you get the CD behind the counter. I bought a Highway 101 (country) Greatest Hits - please forgive me I like one song. Opened it up at home and it was Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits CD. About a year later, I figure they must have got this CD from one of their locations in a different town, I picked up another Highway 101 CD. It was their 1st album. I figured, yah right, I've never seen their 1st album in stores and figure it was a different CD inside. Took it to the counter and had the guy open it, sure enough it was something else inside. It must have been the same person that sold the other CD to them as well.

I bought a rap cd (to sell) its about a $600 cd, got it home and it wasn`t there. Bummer!

Jeez, what did they make that CD out of, the gold in their fillings? ;)

:rofl2:

We laugh, because we know some Rock c.d.'s can run into big dollars. I don't think any of us think about other genre's and their value. If I did, i'd be looking for some rap myself to sell.. :whistle:

I'm very careful, but I still get burned sometimes by a different CD by the same artists, esp if its a best of.

A bigger prob I have is at stores with lots of windows, I sometimes can't see scratches because of the glare and notice them after I get home :(

I always find good titles with no CD inside, very frustrating. I'll never understand why someone would steal the CD but not the case, they are about the same size anyway

I'm very careful, but I still get burned sometimes by a different CD by the same artists, esp if its a best of.

A bigger prob I have is at stores with lots of windows, I sometimes can't see scratches because of the glare and notice them after I get home :(

I always find good titles with no CD inside, very frustrating. I'll never understand why someone would steal the CD but not the case, they are about the same size anyway

I've seen people throw away everything, but the c.d. itself..I kinda wish I knew who these people are. I'd take the jewelcases off their hands..

• 3 weeks later...

They almost got me again..

I was at a flea market today and goin' through this guys c.d.'s. He yelled out "C.D.'S A DOLLAR EACH". I can't tell you how many Rap, country and boy band c.d.'s I went through today, but he did have a GEORDIE-NO SWEAT c.d. Jewelcase and inserts in perfect condition, I was doing this :banana: A voice in my head said Check the c.d. and it was the wrong c.d. :doh: I then tried to find the jewelcase for that c.d. in hopes maybe it got criss/crossed, but nothing..

It kinda ruined my whole day.. :crying: