Anyone buy the new BEATLES remastered CD's?

gener8tr

I pony'ed up $250.00 for the MONO Box Set and it should be here today.

Not sure if I'm going to open it or not... I have REALLY GOOD needle-drops of many of the mono's from the mid 80's Japanese red vinyl sources (which are said to be some of the best). I may keep it as a collectible item???

Are there any other Beatles fans on this site, or am I a lone soldier :)

Why don't they do stuff like this for other bands? The Beatles aren't the only band that has music that needs to be remastered.

They do, They are called 'Remasters'. Lots of bands release them either singularly or in box sets, on little 5" shiny discs called CD's :whistle:

Why don't they do stuff like this for other bands? The Beatles aren't the only band that has music that needs to be remastered.

They do, They are called 'Remasters'. Lots of bands release them either singularly or in box sets, on little 5" shiny discs called CD's :whistle:

These Beatles CD's are different, however.

"Most" digital remasters are s**t... I won't even sugar-coat it. Mastering engineers now-a-days master CD's for the iPod era and boost levels to ungawdly heights making the music almost unlistenable.

These Beatles CD's were taken DIRECTLY from the original master tape reels, and are said to have not been touched as far as compression, EQ boost, etc. I have yet to hear, but from what I'm told they're as close to the original U.K. LP's as you'll hear on a digital format. An almost perfect flat-transfer. I wish I could explain it better...

"Most" digital remasters are s**t... I won't even sugar-coat it. Mastering engineers now-a-days master CD's for the iPod era and boost levels to ungawdly heights making the music almost unlistenable.

These Beatles CD's were taken DIRECTLY from the original master tape reels, and are said to have not been touched as far as compression, EQ boost, etc. I have yet to hear, but from what I'm told they're as close to the original U.K. LP's as you'll hear on a digital format. An almost perfect flat-transfer. I wish I could explain it better...

That is actually a very good explanation, I had heard they were doing something special with the transfers but wasn't sure what. I would love to get this, but do not have the $$$ at the moment. I really like the Beatles and have everything either on cd or mp3. Their music is a guilty pleasure of mine. :)

Thanks, Rick! Digital re-mastering levels is a REALLY BIG issue with me. It's so sad to hear how badly such wonderful music can be ruined by an engineer who boosts the volume so loud who can't tell a bass drum from a bass guitar.

There's a REALLY good explanation on youtube... simply type in LOUDNESS WARS and they video will come up. I cannot access youtube at work or I'd post the link.

PLEASE, I beg all of you to check out the video... we are missing out on such good music now-a-days because of what the record companies are instructing the engineers to do. The latest Brother Firetribe CD is a perfect example. I love that one, but it is SO compressed I need to listen on about 1 on my home system. If you have an equalizer with spectrum analyzer you could see what I mean. The EQ lines should be bouncing up and down all over the place... when a CD is compressed (or maximized, or brickwalled as they call it), the lines are pegged to the very limit and don't move AT ALL.

Very sad. Many listeners don't know the difference because they haven't heard it any other way. All I can say is if you have a turntable, play a Def Leppard album (for instance) on vinyl, then play one of their newly remastered CD's and you'll hear the difference. Like night and day, I promise.

Enough of my ranting... :)

Hmm... I read in last week's Beatles issue of Entertainment Weekly that compression was used on the remasters. Did a little online searching, and it seems that it was used, but maybe not over used. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on them after you give 'em a good listen. :)

I want them.....

actually ill rephrase, i need them, atleast Abbey Road, The White Album, Let It Be and Sgt Peppers...

but i dont want to buy them individually cause the boxset has the DVD and it gives me something to house the CDs in so the digipacks stay nice and shiny :)

so, im gonna take my college earnings, save up and treat myself to the stereo boxset in time for christmas :D luckily i only own two beatles CDs already (1 and Abbey Road) so its not like i just spent £120 on the boxset thats been around for years only to have to buy these nice new ones with the expanded booklets (which i had flicked through the Sgt Peppers one and not only does it have full lyrics, but all the details on the album and some nice photos too.....i love a decent booklet with my CDs :P)

i heard a sample of Drive My Car and thought it sounded great, anyone else bought or heard the stereo remasters yet? the boxset i want is £170 for 16 CDs and a DVD, so a good price all things considered....just a lot to spend in one go :/ but itd be awesome to have every album including Past Masters :D

I received my MONO set yesterday, but I haven't opened it.

I've heard some disparaging things around the net concerning sound quality. It appears "some" compression has been used, and many people have gone so far as to say the 1987 issues actually sound more like a flat transfer. Mind you, this is regarding the Stereo discs, NOT the Mono discs, but I'm still a bit worried :(

the purists dont like the stereo versions of the first two albums and say the rest, while clear, sound too open and not ballsy enough

i had a listen on youtube, someone has most of them on there in HD, and i gotta say, the stereo ones sound real good to my ears all things considered :D

youll never please some people anyway.....theres nothing wrong with the stereo versions, theyre just not what these people are used to/were expecting

Haven't opened 'em yet either because of too much stuff to do, but all I have heard about the Mono set was praise. can you link to something that says otherwise because even about the Stereo version I only heard joy-joy feelings and general tailwagging.

Start here:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Great site, but the Beatles fans are 100% NUTS! :) They have like 23 seperate threads regarding the remasters already... not small ones, either. Sit back and plan on spending a weekend reading :)

On a bright not (no pun intended), ther Mono box is receiving REALLY good praise, so I'm happy with my purchase.