The Perfect Place To Live

Jacob M.

Other than a six month misadventure in Texas I've lived my whole life in Oklahoma. I love this area, but I moved away because it was all I had ever known. It felt like I was trapped so I made that leap to experience more of the world. I gave Texas a shot. For the first month I was really open to living there. The longer I was there the more I hated it. The roads were confusing as hell. It seemed like every road was a highway with many of those highways also being toll roads. The drivers were crazy as heck too. The selection in grocery stores really irritated me as well. Good ole' Wal-Mart, my employer, had driven all of the decent stores out of business. My choices in grocery was Wal-Mart, Tom Thumb, Kroger, or Albertson's. I never went to Tom Thumb or Kroger because the only way to get a decent price was to get a card. Not a chance in heck I would let a grocery store track what I buy just to save a few cents. Sadly the store of choice became Albertson's because there wasn't a decent option. I only bought the sale items because otherwise you get ripped off big time. Wal-Mart is a joke of a grocery store. I don't know how many times I tried to buy items at Wal-Mart to find they didn't carry them. The selection in restaurants was also lacking. There wasn't a good burger place to be had. Not a chance I would eat at McDonald's or BK. Jack In The Box and Wendy's were decent enough options, but near the end of my stay I didn't want to eat their burgers any more. That was torture not having Carl's Jr. First thing I did was stop at Carl's Jr. on the way home. It was the best burger I had in 6 months. I really wasn't pleased with many of the dining options I was presented. I didn't have a great pizza the whole time I was there. I would have killed for some Mazzio's pizza. I can thank the Lord that I at least had Taco Bueno. I also have to complain about Texas BBQ. Their BBQ is supposed to be the best there is and two of the famous BBQ places I visted were mediocre at best. I tried a third place right before I left and it had some good food, but it was nothing earth shattering like Texans would have you believe. I need to throw the local media under the bus too. I got sick of those idiots talking about the local teams. I wish I could tell those jerk offs to shut the hell up about the Mavericks and the Cowboys. That crap got old and fast. I felt like raising a Sooner flag, but I'm sure I would have got my tail kicked for that one. What else can I rail against? The hard water destroying my hair, too many Mexicans, too many people who can't speak English? I'm not sure what else. The place flat out sucked. By the time my scheduled departure had arrived I had come to appreciate Tulsa.

The thoughts of moving to Oregon were in my mind a year ago too. That's where my dad and brother live so it was something I had to think about a long time. Visiting the place a couple times made it clear I would not fit in. The culture is just too different. I can't stand the hippie liberal mindset that pervades that part of the country. I went to downtown Portland with my brother a couple times on my last visit. It seemed like every other person was trying to bum a smoke or a light. If it wasn't that they were trying to get money from us. There are also many con artists in the city. In my drunken stupor after I left the beerfest I fell for a con. I really hate to admit that, but it's yet another reason why I could never live in a place like Portland. During our time in the city we also had random people walk up to us and try to sell us drugs. It's just a normal everyday thing there. You gotta love the liberal mentality of the place. More government=good. At the beerfest they were doing petitions trying to stick it to corporations. The girl that talked to my brother and I was hot. I'm sure that was more than enough reason for a drunk guy to sign it. Most people that signed it probably didn't even know what it was for. If you're drunk do ya really care? The plan of petitioners was brilliant. Another thing I didn't like in Oregon was all of the one way streets. Beaverton has a ton of them as many other Oregon towns seem to have. I will admit that the state is beautiful. I absolutely love the coast. I wouldn't mind living there during the summer. The cost of living and the liberal stuff would be too much to take though. Not having Taco Bueno would be hard to deal with as well.

I'm back in Tulsa and happy to be here. The city may be corrupt and the streets falling apart, but at least I understand it. It's easy to get around and it has most of the things I want in life. The urge to go and discover new things still persists. Is there a place out there that's easy to get around, affordable, and still provides what people want in life? I would really like to know. For the moment Tulsa is doing a good enough job.

I think what you're feeling is normal....most of us are most comfortable in the place where we grew up and no matter where we go we always compare that place to our 'hometown'......food, climate, shopping etc are often going to be different from what you're used to but ask anyone who grew up in Texas to go to Tulsa to live and I bet they would have many of the same complaints that you have....the bottom line is we always return to our roots if possible....

I somewhat agree with what you're saying. At the same time I have to tell you that one of the places I lived as a child I absolutely detest. My mom and step dad still live in the town and I hate going back to visit. I would never live there. Tulsa is far from perfect either. If I found a place that's decently sized, easy to get around, reasonably priced to live there, and had a moderate temperature I would seriously look into it. I've been thinking about KC, Missouri for a while. I heard that it's easy to get around that city. It's a BBQ paradise too.

Well its too bad you had such a bad experience in Texas. Im sure that every state has a town like that. But I guess it all depends on the individual!

I hear a lot of good things about Texas too. And my son and his family are living in Tulsa now. But they are new to the area, and havent had a real chance to explore much. ;)

I want to find a mid size city (100,000 or smaller) in the mountain area where the temp doesnt get higher then high 80s in summer, plenty of rain and winter can do whatever cuz i love the cold and hate the heat. Would love to have plenty of wilderness area to take my jeep out to and do some camping and wilderness survival trips. I know this is a tall order, but if theres a place like it out there, hook me up. I live in Kansas and hate it! Would like something like Colorado Washington or Oregon.

I want to find a mid size city (100,000 or smaller) in the mountain area where the temp doesnt get higher then high 80s in summer, plenty of rain and winter can do whatever cuz i love the cold and hate the heat. Would love to have plenty of wilderness area to take my jeep out to and do some camping and wilderness survival trips. I know this is a tall order, but if theres a place like it out there, hook me up. I live in Kansas and hate it! Would like something like Colorado Washington or Oregon.

Have you tried Luton in the UK? Sounds just what you are looking for

Ohh - sorry, I misread your post, I thought you mentioned a shit hole of a place. There is plenty of camping going on there though, but not in the way you mean it. :whistle:

ha, thanks jez, im "packing" up right now!! ha

can i come 'hang out' with ya! :)

Of course you can - bring the beer. ;)

Oregon has many of the qualities you desire. There are plenty of places to camp, nice beaches, majestic mountains, and beautiful scenery every where you go. There is no sales tax and no toll roads. Those two things would be great additions to any state. If you love fresh seafood you will find it in abundance. One of the downsides is that the state is crazy liberal. Although, it seems the crazy liberal mentality mainly stays within the big cities. All of the normal folk live in small towns. It takes more money to live there than in states like Kansas. It also rains 8-9 months a year. The only time it doesn't rain is during the summer.

>> I think what you're feeling is normal....most of us are most comfortable in the place where we grew up and no matter where we go we always compare that place to our 'hometown'......food, climate, shopping etc are often going to be different from what you're used to but ask anyone who grew up in Texas to go to Tulsa to live and I bet they would have many of the same complaints that you have....the bottom line is we always return to our roots if possible.... <<

Hell, try growing up an Air Force brat LOL Every three years you have to make new friends all over again, adjust to a new city / state / country and school.

Before my dad retired I had lived in Delaware, North Carolina, California, Japan, Greenland, the UK and the place I consider "home" - Frankfurt, (West) Germany.

It was a crazy and "unique" way to grow up but I wouldn't have changed it for nuttin ...

>> I think what you're feeling is normal....most of us are most comfortable in the place where we grew up and no matter where we go we always compare that place to our 'hometown'......food, climate, shopping etc are often going to be different from what you're used to but ask anyone who grew up in Texas to go to Tulsa to live and I bet they would have many of the same complaints that you have....the bottom line is we always return to our roots if possible.... <<

Hell, try growing up an Air Force brat LOL Every three years you have to make new friends all over again, adjust to a new city / state / country and school.

Before my dad retired I had lived in Delaware, North Carolina, California, Japan, Greenland, the UK and the place I consider "home" - Frankfurt, (West) Germany.

It was a crazy and "unique" way to grow up but I wouldn't have changed it for nuttin ...

Good point....usually people who grow up as you did with no fixed 'home' end up more open minded and accepting of the world's quirks....

• 2 weeks later...

I thought of another condition that needs to be met. Is there a place that poison ivey/oak/sumac doesn't grow? I have had that horrible disease just about every year for the last 6 years and I'm sick of it. I've had shots in the butt 3 times and the last 2 times I've gone for pills. Each time I spend $100+ and I don't even have it to spend. That disease really is miserable and would be nice to get away from.