KISS

chocularok

Having listened to this a few times I have to say that I bloody love it.....classic Kiss.

There are going to be a few on here who slag this off because it sounds like the 70s stuff, but it just rocks throughout. Dirty riffs, some great Kiss styled lyrics and stanley and even Simmons sound just great. And those solos....well some of them just smoke.

Great stuff.

Backed 100% Glen - Kick ass diisc. :tumbsup:

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a damn good disc and a return to form for sure although not all the songs sound like they came from the 70's as promised with a few tunes sounding like they came from the 80's, not that there's anything wrong with that. The only tune I don't love is "Stand", which has good verses and music but the chorus is not very good IMO and reminds me of "Great Expectations". My favs so far are "Modern Day Delilah", "Russian Roulette", "Danger Us", "All for the Glory"(Eric sounds great here), "When Lightning Strikes"(Tommy doing his best Ace), "Nobody's Perfect" and "Say Yeah". I also really like "Never Enough" although to me it sounds 70-ish in musically but the chorus sounds like it almost could come off of 'Crazy Nights', but I won't hold that against it. All in all a good album and will probably be in my top 5 for the year and to be honest after being let down by come back albums by older bands this actually exceeded my expectations. I will mention for those that do like this album to be sure to check out the new Ace Frehley disc 'Anomaly' as it's pure 70's Kiss/Ace and is probably just as good as the Kiss disc is IMO.

Stand is one of the tunes I didn't care for... I thought it was kinda cheezy when Paul says "just look over your shoulder" in his best Jackson 5/Michael Jackson impersonation :whistle:

This is a damn good disc and a return to form for sure although not all the songs sound like they came from the 70's as promised with a few tunes sounding like they came from the 80's, not that there's anything wrong with that. The only tune I don't love is "Stand", which has good verses and music but the chorus is not very good IMO and reminds me of "Great Expectations". My favs so far are "Modern Day Delilah", "Russian Roulette", "Danger Us", "All for the Glory"(Eric sounds great here), "When Lightning Strikes"(Tommy doing his best Ace), "Nobody's Perfect" and "Say Yeah". I also really like "Never Enough" although to me it sounds 70-ish in musically but the chorus sounds like it almost could come off of 'Crazy Nights', but I won't hold that against it. All in all a good album and will probably be in my top 5 for the year and to be honest after being let down by come back albums by older bands this actually exceeded my expectations. I will mention for those that do like this album to be sure to check out the new Ace Frehley disc 'Anomaly' as it's pure 70's Kiss/Ace and is probably just as good as the Kiss disc is IMO.

:banger:

"Never Enough" although to me it sounds 70-ish in musically but the chorus sounds like it almost could come off of 'Crazy Nights',

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Simply superb...

Of course I'll pick it up, especially if it's gonna be the 2-CD/1 DVD pack described here. That sounds sweet as hell. Glad I didn't lay out big import $$ for that "Jigoku-Retsuden" set of re-recorded hits from Japan now. I had a feeling it'd surface on this side of the ocean eventually. Gene wouldn't be satisfied with just sucking the $ out of Japanese fans. :lol:

On another KISS related note, has anyone seen the KISS M&M's advertisement yet?

kissmm.jpg

:rofl2: How freaking COOL is that??

Supposedly there will be limited edition KISS M&M candies available in October to coincide with the album release... can't wait to see those. :lol:

"Never Enough" although to me it sounds 70-ish in musically but the chorus sounds like it almost could come off of 'Crazy Nights',

dont worry its a great song!

Sorry, sorry... couldn't help it... any time I hear the words "Crazy Nights" I break out in hives. (shudder, tremble)... hate...that album... SO MUCH.... :explode:

Sorry, sorry... couldn't help it... any time I hear the words "Crazy Nights" I break out in hives. (shudder, tremble)... hate...that album... SO MUCH.... :explode:

Sorry Keef, it doesn't sound like Crazy Nights exactly but the chorus just reminded me of the bigger sounding commercial hard rock chorus' that were all over that disc. It's not that it's a bad song and actually it's quite good but was just using that disc as a reference point and yeah I hate that cd to. Well hate might be a strong word, more like strongly dislike.

Crazy nights is the best kiss album. Sonic boom is for sure not as good as that cd.

If the new one could sound a bit like c.n. it would be a masterpiece,but It's not the way it goes.

Pula Stanley in 1987 could sing much better than now, in modern day delilah sometimes it seems he couldn't reach that high.

Crazy nights is the best kiss album. Sonic boom is for sure not as good as that cd.

yeah some people love CN era, some love the late 70s era.

If you love the late 70s era, this album kicks arse. period.

yeah some people love CN era, some love the late 70s era.

I wouldn't say late 70's since that would include the disco-ish 'Dynasty' and 'Peter Criss' solo disc' but I'd say more like mid 70's, like 75-77. :headbanger:

Having listened to this a few times I have to say that I bloody love it.....classic Kiss.

There are going to be a few on here who slag this off because it sounds like the 70s stuff, but it just rocks throughout. Dirty riffs, some great Kiss styled lyrics and stanley and even Simmons sound just great. And those solos....well some of them just smoke.

Great stuff.

Backed...I'll say it is a real return to several Klassic KISS sounds..

Most noticeably is Tommy Thayer's brilliant but obvious "Ace-isms"

In his solos.. which at times are direct rip offs...but he does it so damn well...

so I'll forgive him...LOL :guitbannana::headbanger:

Great stuff.

Backed...I'll say it is a real return to several Klassic KISS sounds..

Most noticeably is Tommy Thayer's brilliant but obvious "Ace-isms"

In his solos.. which at times are direct rip offs...but he does it so damn well...

so I'll forgive him...LOL :guitbannana::headbanger:

Hey, that's not Ace? :lol:

Booya. :banana:

Well, cuddle my balls and hang them from my ears, but I actually really dig this. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting too much, despite liking the band, but I am very pleasantly surprised. And it's not just Stanley - I actually quite enjoy Simmons' songs too. The whole thing just has a nice, basic, simple but effective "party" rock kind of feel. A few down-tuned riffs (more 70's than late 90s?) that I don't love, but they're few and far between enough to be overlooked. Yeah, definite big thumbs up from me. I like it a lot.

Well, cuddle my balls and hang them from my ears, but I actually really dig this. I don't know why, but I wasn't expecting too much, despite liking the band, but I am very pleasantly surprised. And it's not just Stanley - I actually quite enjoy Simmons' songs too. The whole thing just has a nice, basic, simple but effective "party" rock kind of feel. A few down-tuned riffs (more 70's than late 90s?) that I don't love, but they're few and far between enough to be overlooked. Yeah, definite big thumbs up from me. I like it a lot.

and that my friends must mean its a killer Kiss album LOL!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, been listening to SONIC BOOM on a near constant loop for a couple of days now so I can finally weigh in...and I'm diggin' it!!

Fave tracks are "Modern Day Delilah" (they were wise to release this as the first single), "Russian Roulette" and "All For The Glory" (Eric Singer has a pretty decent singing voice! Who knew?)

The "KISS Klassics" disc of re-recorded oldies is a nice bonus, even tho the retreads don't sound radically different from the originals. I'd say that the mid-to-late 80s songs (i.e. "Lick It Up," "Heaven's On Fire" and "Forever) benefit the most from having the cheesy high-gloss '80s production scraped off of'em. It sounds to me like Paul is having trouble hitting those high notes on "Forever" though. Or is it just me? :unsure:

Screw PSYCHO CIRCUS -- this is the real KISS comeback CD that we were promised a dozen years ago :beerbang:

The only thing I can say I'm not crazy about is the packaging. Why is it that the actual album disc gets to rest in a proper CD tray, but the bonus CD and the DVD just slide into little pockets in the fold-out cardboard flaps? I suggest y'all treat those bonus discs with kid gloves when you slide'em in and out of the package, otherwise they're gonna get scratched to sh*t after a while.

Thumbs up all around!! :banger:

• 3 weeks later...

I noticed my local Walmart has many of the Kiss discs from the 70's remastered versions for only $5.

That's a hell of a deal IMO and I thought long and hard about buying some I didn't have but I couldn't remember which ones I was missing so maybe next time I'll grab a few.