KISS

chocularok

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I've stated before, Paul Stanley is more about pleasing the fans (those of of who have stood by him and the band since the mid 70's and made him / them what they are) than trying to explore new musical horizons (ugg-hmmm Bon Jovi) by turning KISS into one of the 10,000 other bands out there who ALL sound the same now-a-days.

No wonder KISS has kept me as a fan for more than 30 years now! LOVE THESE GUYS!

i have a question.....is a sellout someone who plays the music that they know will sell because it has in the past or the band that tries something new without any solid idea of if anyone will buy it because its such a departure?

that's why KISS did a disco and a grunge album

while that does conflict with Gener8tors statement i wasnt really aiming at Kiss or Bon Jovi (specially since i like both)

its just that alot of people are calling certain bands sellouts and certain other bands sellouts.....seems to me any band can be spun to look like a sellout :s

Everyone has their own opinion on what makes someone a sell out, but its certainly not sticking with the same sound for the whole of their career, as sell out means they are either selling out their artistic integrity or selling out their fans.

Changing styles can be seen as selling out if its to whatever is the current big thing, but you will also hear some fans shouting "sell out" when a band goes from an indy label to big label.

In my opinion, adapting and changing styles does not necessarily make an artist a sell out, but giving in to label pressure and changing is somewhat of a sell out.

Surely at the end of the day a sellout is someone who makes music purely for money?

so we have no way of knowing whos selling out and whos not, unless we're there when the decision is made to stick to their old sound, change their sound etc....i guess its just down to their reasoning, do you cant really call any band a sell out unless they actually say theymade whatever move they made for more money.......right? :unsure:

I completely disagree that making music solely for money, is selling out.

If that was the case, then pretty much any session musician would be regarded as such, as they dont usually write with the bands they work with, and are just guns for hire.

Doesnt mean that they have sold out, just that they know its the best way for them to earn a crust.

I dont think their is anyone out their who learns to play music that doesnt like playing music.

Going to work selling items over a counter is what people do just for money, as very few people have the desire to do that for a living, but professional musicians do it because they love music, and if they can earn some money out of that, then more power to them.

I completely disagree that making music solely for money, is selling out.

If that was the case, then pretty much any session musician would be regarded as such, as they dont usually write with the bands they work with, and are just guns for hire.

Doesnt mean that they have sold out, just that they know its the best way for them to earn a crust.

I dont think their is anyone out their who learns to play music that doesnt like playing music.

Going to work selling items over a counter is what people do just for money, as very few people have the desire to do that for a living, but professional musicians do it because they love music, and if they can earn some money out of that, then more power to them.

what i meant by "making music for money" was "writing music 'a certain way' for money" would be considered selling out (assuming you're an originals band rather than a songwriter by trade obviously).....obviously i dont believe that making music period is selling out as ill play anything if theres money involved!

besides, as long as the "sell-out" music is good i dont really care :P

You can hear samples of all songs here -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gudQpZ-JJg0

sounds pretty damned classic to me.....well looking forward to hearing this disc.

fuck just listened to those samples about 6 times through....bloody excellent stuff. I love it. :headbanger:

First sample - average Simmons, second sample is good quality Stanley, third sounds pretty good for Simmons, 'Stand by my side' sounds a little too corny... then we have more from Simmons. Pretty average. The next tune from Stanley's another pretty cool one. Based on the first few samples, sounds like there will be a large contribution from Simmons on this thing. Which is a shame for me as I always preferred Stanley's tunes.

Sounds like it may be pretty decent, not sure it'll be much better than just good, though. Looking forward to a proper spin.

sounds pretty damned classic to me.....well looking forward to hearing this disc.

fuck just listened to those samples about 6 times through....bloody excellent stuff. I love it. :headbanger:

First sample - average Simmons, second sample is good quality Stanley, third sounds pretty good for Simmons, 'Stand by my side' sounds a little too corny... then we have more from Simmons. Pretty average. The next tune from Stanley's another pretty cool one. Based on the first few samples, sounds like there will be a large contribution from Simmons on this thing. Which is a shame for me as I always preferred Stanley's tunes.

Sounds like it may be pretty decent, not sure it'll be much better than just good, though. Looking forward to a proper spin.

Youre obviously not a Kiss fan...........sounds like 1977 all over again to me which = bliss.

I'll take Kiss 77, but would prefer Kiss 87.

:agree:

no thanks i'll keep 76/77 era.

Crazy Nights era is good but cant compare to the classics.

Crazy Nights is piece of shit IMO when compared to the first 6 classic studio albums and other 80's albums like Creatures, Lick it Up and Animalize.

While I'll admit there's some good tunes on CN for me it was just way to polished and poppy in places and to this day is my least fav album from Kiss along with Unmasked.

Youre obviously not a Kiss fan...........sounds like 1977 all over again to me which = bliss.

I like plenty of KISS stuff. I just start from 1982 and my enjoyment spans until 1992. 'Psycho Circus' is half decent-ish too. 1977? I didn't even know they had invented music back then. ;)

I like plenty of KISS stuff. I just start from 1982 and my enjoyment spans until 1992. 'Psycho Circus' is half decent-ish too. 1977? I didn't even know they had invented music back then. ;)

Kiss Alive II has always been and will always be the album which defines Kiss...both musically and in terms of attitude.

ALIVE II is what got me into rock 'n roll when I was 10 years old in 1978.

I remember like it was yesterday (well, almost) my mother buying the double album for me at Jantzen Beach Mall in Portland, Oregon... me taking the record set home, looking at all the neat interior paperwork, applying the tattoos to my arms and spinning the vinyl on my father's Sansui system (which I still own, by the way).

I was singing Detroit Rock City, Love Gun, Cold Gin, Beth and Shock Me on the playgrounds at Sacajawea Elementary School that entire fall / winter :)

I didn't keep my hopes up for this release on purpose. I didn't want another let down, although I liked 50% of Psycho Circus. I must say this CD is pretty damn good aside from a few corny lyrics in one particular song. :headbanger:

I didn't keep my hopes up for this release on purpose. I didn't want another let down, although I liked 50% of Psycho Circus. I must say this CD is pretty damn good aside from a few corny lyrics in one particular song. :headbanger:

its frickin ace

Having listened to this a few times I have to say that I bloody love it.....classic Kiss.

There are going to be a few on here who slag this off because it sounds like the 70s stuff, but it just rocks throughout. Dirty riffs, some great Kiss styled lyrics and stanley and even Simmons sound just great. And those solos....well some of them just smoke.

Great stuff.