CRASH THE SYSTEM - "The Crowning"

TIM (2)

http://www.myspace.com/crashthesystemproject

Surprised no-one's talking about this one, is a big album for Scandi Melodic Rock fans. Daniel Flores (Minds Eye) is the man behind this one, but it's another multi-vocalist project for Frontiers and it's pretty damn killer stuff IMO. It's largely AOR here, but there are orchestral/metal sounding elements to this, but it's always ultra melodic with plenty of keys. It's also a really consistent disc, barely any filler on here so kudos to the songwriters.

My only issue is the main selling point of this album - the vocalists. Vikstrom has a mighty vocal range, but here he sounds flat and workmanlike and his songs are in too high a key for him. Mats Leven's voice just doesn't work with this material, and his voice is buried in the mix anyway. Bjorn Jansson (Talisman/Snakes In Paradise) sounds okay, and Edman sounds great, but I'd have preferred Edman to have sung this whole disc.

Still, pretty essential stuff for fans of Scandi Melodic Rock....

http://www.myspace.com/crashthesystemproject

Surprised no-one's talking about this one, is a big album for Scandi Melodic Rock fans. Daniel Flores (Minds Eye) is the man behind this one, but it's another multi-vocalist project for Frontiers and it's pretty damn killer stuff IMO. It's largely AOR here, but there are orchestral/metal sounding elements to this, but it's always ultra melodic with plenty of keys. It's also a really consistent disc, barely any filler on here so kudos to the songwriters.

My only issue is the main selling point of this album - the vocalists. Vikstrom has a mighty vocal range, but here he sounds flat and workmanlike and his songs are in too high a key for him. Mats Leven's voice just doesn't work with this material, and his voice is buried in the mix anyway ("Without Chances" is killer - but Leven is the wrong man on vocs). Bjorn Jansson (Talisman/Snakes In Paradise) sounds okay, and Edman sounds great, but I'd have preferred Edman to have sung this whole disc.

Still, pretty essential stuff for fans of Scandi Melodic Rock....

Yeh im liking this one after my first spin.... maybe tails off a bit, but ill definately be giving it more time. Aor with an updated sound..

Here's my review:-

1. FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Powerful orchestral opener (almost like Primal Fear), great keys though. Cool song

2. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU (Lead vocals: Mats Levén) - Orchestral heavier song, killer chorus. Raspy vocals are ill-suited here

3. I STILL BELIEVE IN LOVE (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Decent mid-tempo song, but better verses than chorus. Just okay

4. LOVE IS IN YOUR EYES (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Laid-back lush AOR song. Nicely sung, chorus is just OTT. Brilliant

5. TAKE A CHANCE (Lead vocals: Mats Levén) - Strong verses & stunning AOR chorus. Great keys,wrong vocalist though. Absolute MONSTER

6. ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVIN' (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Good up-tempo AOR. Key is too high for Vikstrom though, who struggles

7. MYSTERIOUS (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Seriously lush AOR tune. Great vocals, big big chorus with cool melodies. Great song

8. ANGEL OF MY HEART (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Nice song with awesome verses. Finally Vikstrom lets loose a little. Good AOR here

9. ROLLING STONE (Lead vocals: Björn Jansson) - More mid-tempo AOR with another big chorus. Love the vocal hooks in the verses. Great

10. DON'T TELL ME NO LIES (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Layers of keys all over this one. Strong tune, missing a big hook IMO.

11. BROKEN GLASS (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Poppy AOR with up-beat chorus and a big melody. More strong Scandi AOR

12. HIGHER AND HIGHER (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Needed big song here, and gets one. Stunning. Biggest hook on the album. Killer

13. WITHOUT CHANCES (Lead vocals: Björn Jansson) - Powerful orchestral tune. Should've replaced this with a big ballad to close though

There are no fillers here IMO, but the album does need a big ballad - plus the choice of vocalists doesn't always work ("Take A Chance" is the best song but Leven can't sing it). Some truly sensational songs though, "Take A Chance"/"Mysterious"/"Higher & Higher" are all utterly flawless and are as good as any AOR song this year. If you like Scandi Melodic Rock (Treat/Alien/Skagarack/Dalton etc) then you need this disc....

There are no fillers here IMO, but the album does need a big ballad - plus the choice of vocalists doesn't always work ("Take A Chance" is the best song but Leven can't sing it). Some truly sensational songs though, "Take A Chance"/"Mysterious"/"Higher & Higher" are all utterly flawless and are as good as any AOR song this year. If you like Scandi Melodic Rock (Treat/Alien/Skagarack/Dalton etc) then you need this disc....

You kno what... im an idiot. I was wondering why the guy had a different vocal style each song... never occurred to me it was idfferent singers!

I know I've been pretty harsh on the vocalists here, but these are the best vocalists in the whole Scandi scene and they should be better than this. In fact Vikstrom is - IMHO - in the top 5 AOR/MHR vocalists (even though his higher profile work has been in metal bands), his range is incredible. Considering English isn't his first language it's pretty incredible how well he sings in English. However the only time he really sounds great here is on "Higher & Higher", where he simply blows the roof off with his power/range. The rest sounds flat. In fact "Higher & Higher" is currently my fave AOR tune of 2009....

1. FIGHT FIRE WITH FIRE (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Powerful orchestral opener (almost like Primal Fear), great keys though. Cool song

2. ALL BECAUSE OF YOU (Lead vocals: Mats Levén) - Orchestral heavier song, killer chorus. Raspy vocals are ill-suited here

3. I STILL BELIEVE IN LOVE (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Decent mid-tempo song, but better verses than chorus. Just okay

4. LOVE IS IN YOUR EYES (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Laid-back lush AOR song. Nicely sung, chorus is just OTT. Brilliant

5. TAKE A CHANCE (Lead vocals: Mats Levén) - Strong verses & stunning AOR chorus. Great keys,wrong vocalist though. Absolute MONSTER

6. ENOUGH OF YOUR LOVIN' (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Good up-tempo AOR. Key is too high for Vikstrom though, who struggles

7. MYSTERIOUS (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Seriously lush AOR tune. Great vocals, big big chorus with cool melodies. Great song

8. ANGEL OF MY HEART (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Nice song with awesome verses. Finally Vikstrom lets loose a little. Good AOR here

9. ROLLING STONE (Lead vocals: Björn Jansson) - More mid-tempo AOR with another big chorus. Love the vocal hooks in the verses. Great

10. DON'T TELL ME NO LIES (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Layers of keys all over this one. Strong tune, missing a big hook IMO.

11. BROKEN GLASS (Lead vocals: Göran Edman) - Poppy AOR with up-beat chorus and a big melody. More strong Scandi AOR

12. HIGHER AND HIGHER (Lead vocals: Thomas Vikström) - Needed big song here, and gets one. Stunning. Biggest hook on the album. Killer

13. WITHOUT CHANCES (Lead vocals: Björn Jansson) - Powerful orchestral tune. Should've replaced this with a big ballad to close though

Mmm interesting, I do recall having a quick listen at their Myspace. perhaps I dismissed this too quickly....may need another look into. Cheers

I know I've been pretty harsh on the vocalists here, but these are the best vocalists in the whole Scandi scene and they should be better than this. In fact Vikstrom is - IMHO - in the top 5 AOR/MHR vocalists (even though his higher profile work has been in metal bands), his range is incredible. Considering English isn't his first language it's pretty incredible how well he sings in English. However the only time he really sounds great here is on "Higher & Higher", where he simply blows the roof off with his power/range. The rest sounds flat. In fact "Higher & Higher" is currently my fave AOR tune of 2009....

I have heard the Edman and Vikstrom tracks, but am looking forward to hearing the rest (The keys on here sound lush aswell). Your right in Vikstrom being a killer vocalist though, one of the top in his field. I can't wait for this to drop through the letterbox in a few days (if amazon pull their finger out) and I will let you know my thoughts on the rest of it when it does.

Mmm interesting, I do recall having a quick listen at their Myspace. perhaps I dismissed this too quickly....may need another look into. Cheers

You seem to dismiss alot of stuff after a 'quick listen' mate. I keep banging on about never dismissing anything until you have heard the full thing, you will discover alot more great stuff if you don't mate. ;)

You seem to dismiss alot of stuff after a 'quick listen' mate. I keep banging on about never dismissing anything until you have heard the full thing, you will discover alot more great stuff if you don't mate. ;)

The best songs aren't on the Myspace page anyway, plus the sound quality on the disc is far better. Honestly, if you like any Scandi AOR (Glen I know you like the Jim Jidhed - this is similar) then you're guaranteed to find at least 3 or 4 killer songs. This slaughters the last BAD HABIT, and I'd be prepared to bet that come year-end it beats the TREAT album too.

Yeah yeah I know.....but I must listen to literally tens of myspace pages every week and as I said before if it doesnt grab me from the start I generally let it go. Also kids = no money, so cant buy everything LOL!

Anyways, Im always happy for you guys to point out where Im going wrong. Youre nearly always spot on. nearly ;-))

Yeah yeah I know.....but I must listen to literally tens of myspace pages every week and as I said before if it doesnt grab me from the start I generally let it go. Also kids = no money, so cant buy everything LOL!

Anyways, Im always happy for you guys to point out where Im going wrong. Youre nearly always spot on. nearly ;-))

Not right or wrong mate, just saying that it is a shame if you miss some stuff, just because a few little 30 second sounbytes don't always hit home on first go. I would have missed loads of stuff if I stuck to that rule.

Anything you want to try out first mate (if I have it) don't hesitate to ask and it is done!

• 2 weeks later...

Been listening to this a lot of late and think this is excellent quality scandi AOR. To be honest I like all the tracks and if anything Tim, I think you were a little harsh on the vocals....nothing too shabby sounding at all to these ears.

Definitely one of the highlights of 2009 on the HH front.

By the way...do you really think 'Take A Chance' is one of the strongest tracks?? One of the weakest for me..the few tracks that follow it are much better IMO. Also I love that last track....im glad they didnt put a sappy ballad there like so many bands do these days....good to hear a nice rocking end.

Glad you like it mate - yeah I do like "Take A Chance" a lot. Love the pre-chorus, then the chorus has unusual pacing for an AOR-song. I just hate Leven's vocals on it - he was the wrong choice for sure. "Higher & Higher" is my fave track (stunning vocals in the last half of it), but to be honest I really don't skip any tracks. A great Vikstrom-sung power-ballad would've been a nice additional track, maybe in the middle....

Still waiting for my copy of this to arrive.

Same here.

This disc sounds good.

I still haven't had the time to fully lose myself in this, but I definitely like it a lot and it's one of the best I've heard this year. I think 'All because of you' is my early fave.

A very good Aor album with great performers. I agree Take a chance is the best song.

I disagree about the singers.

Mats Leven is the best singer involved here, I would like to have more songs performed by this god of hard rock, two aren't enough.

He can transofrm an average song in a masterpiece.

I agree Take a chance is the best song.

:screwy:

I still dont get what you guys see in that song. IMO virtually every song which follows it is better.

& for the record, 'Higher & Higher' is easily the best song for me....that's a monster AOR tune. :tumbsup:

A very good Aor album with great performers. I agree Take a chance is the best song.

I disagree about the singers.

Mats Leven is the best singer involved here, I would like to have more songs performed by this god of hard rock, two aren't enough.

He can transofrm an average song in a masterpiece.

Leven better than Vikstrom? You being serious? Obviously technically there's no comparison, Vikstrom went to music school and is obviously trained, plus can sing a huge variety of music with his tenor voice (from Opera to Doom & Symphonic Metal) - whereas Leven is a bit of a journeyman who hit fame with two great performances (Swedish Erotica and Treat) and did nothing else you are likely to have ever heard of.

But I honestly think the guy sings like a dying dog on this record. His usual rasp sounds like a whine and he should never be allowed to sing AOR ever again. Vikstrom's (and Edman's too) power just blows him away IMHO. I would give my right arm to hear either of them sing "Take A Chance" instead of Leven....

Without getting into technicalities, I also personally prefer Leven over Vikstrom. Nothing against Vikstrom; he's fine. To be honest, though, I'd be lying if I said I thought he was better than any of your standard Swedish melodic rock / AOR vocalists, though. For me, Leven's unique sound kind of set himself aside from the rest of the pack and I guess his voice is either a yes or a no, but for me it's a delightful yes. Love it.

Without getting into technicalities, I also personally prefer Leven over Vikstrom. Nothing against Vikstrom; he's fine. To be honest, though, I'd be lying if I said I thought he was better than any of your standard Swedish melodic rock / AOR vocalists, though. For me, Leven's unique sound kind of set himself aside from the rest of the pack and I guess his voice is either a yes or a no, but for me it's a delightful yes. Love it.

Would rather you did get into technicalities mate. Then - at least - you might end up being right.

P.s. Am just kidding. I think it's about personal taste which vocalists you prefer. Personally I could image Vikstrom being able to sing pretty much any song. Wheres Leven just doesn't have the range for that.

I definetly agree, Leven is so particular, Vikstrom sounds average to me, like many other singers, sure he has a clear high voice, but it doesn't grab me.

Mats Leven has also sing for Malmsteen,Therion and other projects that range from power metal, to doom, to AOR.

I believe that he gets more consideration than Vikstrom in the hard rock world.