Pioneering Album Ever

All Time Most Influential Metal Album  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Of course I went with Venom, just because without them, half this list wouldn't exist, but I know Ive left some deserving off, so please post whatever Ive forgotten!

Went with Sepultura but Slayer was so close.

Should've been "Beneath The Remains" not "Arise" - but even then I'd say "Reign In Blood"... The No.1 most pioneering (not necessarily influencial) disc in Metal IMO....

Without a doubt "Kill Em All" gets my vote as it was technically the first thrash metal album and influenced all the major players such as Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus and Overkill.

I will say that Slayer's "Reign in Blood" is probably more influential on todays scene and Megadeth's "Killing is My Business" influenced a whole new breed of musicians by showing that could not only play fast but also play good at the same time by adding hints of Jazz fusion and other influences in to the mix.

Without a doubt "Kill Em All" gets my vote as it was technically the first thrash metal album and influenced all the major players such as Slayer, Megadeth, Anthrax, Exodus and Overkill.

I will say that Slayer's "Reign in Blood" is probably more influential on todays scene and Megadeth's "Killing is My Business" influenced a whole new breed of musicians by showing that could not only play fast but also play good at the same time by adding hints of Jazz fusion and other influences in to the mix.

Word for word backed.

Other bands such as Venom and maybe even Raven came before, but Metallica was the first band to put thrash metal into focus as an art form as opposed to just noise and speed. And truthfully, Kill 'Em All was great, but Ride the Lightning was really the most pioneering album of their catalog, followed closely by Master of Puppets. Recognize. ;)

Everyone of the albums mentioned are classics in their own right. I did have to choose KILL 'EM ALL.

Just for the simple fact is that when it did come out, It didn't matter if you were into hair bands, harcore, punk, you purchased that album.

Everyone of the albums mentioned are classics in their own right. I did have to choose KILL 'EM ALL.

I totally agree...KILL 'EM ALL was definitely something special in those days! Anyway VENOM's "Welcome To Hell" in 1981 was a totally braincrusher...never heard anything like this before :shocked:

Yes, and Welcome To Hell was a headcrushing, vein popping ear bleeding masterpiece, but can you kind of see the way I was going with this? Why I put Arise instead of Beneath, Reign In Blood instead of Show No Mercy, Black Metal instead of Welcome To Hell! I was trying to get at something, maybe i'll do best albums of all time and put the debuts of all the thrash/speed metal bands, I also avoided Overkill for this reason, he'll I couldve put Cowboys From Hell and womped them all!

I don't think anyone has a chance with Metallica - Kill Em All in this list. I remember when Master Of Puppets was like the album of the year in Circus Magazine (which mostly covered hair metal bands at the time). I wasn't a big thrash fan at all at that time but I bought it shortly after that and was blown away and went out and bought Kill Em All and Ride The Lightning the very next day. Those are the 3 greatest thrash CDs of all time IMO.

If I had to pick a 2nd it would be Armored Saint, but like I said, I'm not a huge thrash fan and I would consider Armored Saint more of a Heavy Metal band than Thrash like most of these other bands.

Where is Testament in this list!

Where is Testament in this list!

I thought the same thing as their my favorite thrash band but I'll admit that they did come much later and didn't break as much new ground as some of the other artists/albums but they were still better.

I totally agree...KILL 'EM ALL was definitely something special in those days! Anyway VENOM's "Welcome To Hell" in 1981 was a totally braincrusher...never heard anything like this before :shocked:

I Think BLACK METAL was a better polished album. I also had BLACK METAL before I ever heard WELCOME TO HELL.

I Think BLACK METAL was a better polished album. I also had BLACK METAL before I ever heard WELCOME TO HELL.

I guess im a little biased, I think anybody that doesnt vote for Black Metal is a retard! Venom took unknown Slayer & Metallica as their supporting acts on their Welcome To Hell Tour, I wonder if it werent for that, if they would get where they did, when they did? who knows, but Venom has remained my favorite band, as I stated earlier on another thread, since I sat in my frontroom in my underoos, at 5 years old as my dad and uncle would put Black Metal on the turntable, and crank up the home system so loud that fucker would just skip away, and they would open up all the windows in the house, so they could be good neighboors and share Black Metal! this is another reason I believe Black Metal is a pioneering album! but as heavily biased as I am, one might stake a real claim that Show No Mercy and Killem All couldve been done jointly, Killem All was the album everybody had, but Reign In Blood was the album the real thrashers had! somebody mentioned Raven earlier, and you can dock me a point for forgetting Raven, I just don't know if the pioneered all that much, as they had more of just a cult following! much the same way Candlemass had a cult following! Quite frankly my favorite 2 Metallica albums(Gulp! Or so im told) were Master and Garage Days, but anyway you wanna argue it, Slayer and Metallica (and I thought Megadeth) were the norm, and the mainstream Pioneers of thrash!

went with Venom(be it Welcome to Hell or Black Metal).

By the way, i don't get how an album such as Arise can be considered "vital to thrash metal". This album came in 91, and by 92 the thrash metal scene was pretty much dead.In which way was it vital, then?

I guess im a little biased, I think anybody that doesnt vote for Black Metal is a retard! Venom took unknown Slayer & Metallica as their supporting acts on their Welcome To Hell Tour, I wonder if it werent for that, if they would get where they did, when they did? who knows, but Venom has remained my favorite band, as I stated earlier on another thread, since I sat in my frontroom in my underoos, at 5 years old as my dad and uncle would put Black Metal on the turntable, and crank up the home system so loud that fucker would just skip away, and they would open up all the windows in the house, so they could be good neighboors and share Black Metal! this is another reason I believe Black Metal is a pioneering album! but as heavily biased as I am, one might stake a real claim that Show No Mercy and Killem All couldve been done jointly, Killem All was the album everybody had, but Reign In Blood was the album the real thrashers had! somebody mentioned Raven earlier, and you can dock me a point for forgetting Raven, I just don't know if the pioneered all that much, as they had more of just a cult following! much the same way Candlemass had a cult following! Quite frankly my favorite 2 Metallica albums(Gulp! Or so im told) were Master and Garage Days, but anyway you wanna argue it, Slayer and Metallica (and I thought Megadeth) were the norm, and the mainstream Pioneers of thrash!

Wanna talk about Biased?

Where the fuck is CARNIVORE'S-RETALIATION album?

I.M.O., CARNIVORE made SLAYER sound like the BACKSTREET BOYS. Their song topics were more disturbing. The album is truely the soundtrack for the apocalypse.

Just my opinion.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Black magic rites on this black evil night begin with the slice of the blade... :whistle: To me Metallica and Slayer opened up the door but Exodus just freakin' kicked it in! Although predated by alot of albums where's the love for Testament's "The Legacy" and Forbidden's "Forbidden Evil"? -Two absolute bay-area gems and from a technical standpoint very much pioneer albums in the speed/thrash scene.

Black magic rites on this black evil night begin with the slice of the blade... :whistle: To me Metallica and Slayer opened up the door but Exodus just freakin' kicked it in! Although predated by alot of albums where's the love for Testament's "The Legacy" and Forbidden's "Forbidden Evil"? -Two absolute bay-area gems and from a technical standpoint very much pioneer albums in the speed/thrash scene.

Testament "The Legacy" = :bowdown:

Sepultura imo released Arise, and it was the first time I had really heard hook laden thrash metal, that's just imo, fromArise to the last note Cavellera and co. managed to come up with hook after catchy hook on that albume, and Carnivore was kind of the extreme, like Sabat, they opened the doors to todays extreme Black Metal, more then thrash, that's what I think!

Sepultura imo released Arise, and it was the first time I had really heard hook laden thrash metal, that's just imo, fromArise to the last note Cavellera and co. managed to come up with hook after catchy hook on that albume, and Carnivore was kind of the extreme, like Sabat, they opened the doors to todays extreme Black Metal, more then thrash, that's what I think!

i actually think Arise is just a more laid down version of Beneath the Remains, also less technical, less interesting and with more mainstream mass appeal. Really not my favorite Sepultura album, but still much better than what came after, imo.

i actually think Arise is just a more laid down version of Beneath the Remains, also less technical, less interesting and with more mainstream mass appeal. Really not my favorite Sepultura album, but still much better than what came after, imo.

Beneath was the first Sepultura tape I ever heard, a new guy that moved to Arizona from Germany was listening to it in his walkman the first day of 6th grade, he is also the one who introduced me to The Accused, Possessed, Agent Orange, E-X-E, Sadus, Hexx, and Hard On's! he had so many thrash tapes Id never even heard of, It was great.

Beneath was the first Sepultura tape I ever heard, a new guy that moved to Arizona from Germany was listening to it in his walkman the first day of 6th grade, he is also the one who introduced me to The Accused, Possessed, Agent Orange, E-X-E, Sadus, Hexx, and Hard On's!

He introduced you to Hard-ons?

I thought that just came naturally :nyanya:

Beneath was the first Sepultura tape I ever heard, a new guy that moved to Arizona from Germany was listening to it in his walkman the first day of 6th grade, he is also the one who introduced me to The Accused, Possessed, Agent Orange, E-X-E, Sadus, Hexx, and Hard On's!

Yeah! but i didnt know it was cool to sport them around the elementary! but we made it cool!

Yeah! but i didnt know it was cool to sport them around the elementary! but we made it cool!

:rofl2:

They were a good band. They were from OZ weren't they?

I am not a thrash fan by any stretch of the imagination. As a matter of fact, I hated Metallica when these albums were released. Now I love them.I went with "Kill Em All" because if not for that, most of this list probably wouldn't exist, or at least exist as we now know them...

Yes they are from Oz, and I thought they kicked ass!I always thought Killem All and Show No Mercy sounded alike, any of u guys hear the comparisons?