Yngwie Malmsteen v. Axel Rudi Pell

Yngwie Malmsteen v. Axel Rudi Pell  

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Killer guitarists who bring in hired guns to handle the vocal duties...let the battle commence!

I haven't heard all of the old ARP but I love the old Yngwie stuff up through Facing the Animal.

As for the new ones Tales of the Crown is way better than Perpetual Flamer.

The covers disc that Yngwie did Inspiration is one of my fav covers disc ever it's just incredible IMO with outstanding vocal performaces from JLT, JSS and Mark Boals.

My picks are split:

Trilogy - My fave out of Yngwie's early work!

Odyssey

Eclipse

Fire & Ice

The Seventh Sign

Magnum Opus

Facing the Animal

The Masquerade Ball

Shadow Zone

Kings & Queens

Tales of the Crown

Diamonds Unlocked

While Yngwie is definitely the better guitarist IMO, it still comes down to the songs, and unfortunately, he seems to have forgotten how to write a catchy, memorable song in recent years. Facing the Animal was his last really good effort IMO, and I've much preferred ARP's output in recent years.

is this pole a joke? :lol: axel is a great composer etc etc, deeply influenced from baroque stuff in terms of compositions and other arrangements...of course he suffers from the "yngwie" syndrome...he would never admit that he's influenced from yngwie,like many other ones i know, simply coz they have approximately the same age as yngwie....time to spin crucify , one not so memorable and easily forgettable yngwie scorcher.....

edit: did i see it right? axel's best release isn't listed there....

is this pole a joke? :lol: axel is a great composer etc etc, deeply influenced from baroque stuff in terms of compositions and other arrangements...of course he suffers from the "yngwie" syndrome...he would never admit that he's influenced from yngwie,like many other ones i know, simply coz they have approximately the same age as yngwie....time to spin crucify , one not so memorable and easily forgettable yngwie scorcher.....

Georg, I gotta ask, what the hell does anything you said here have to do with which releases you actually prefer? I've read and re-read your post, and still have no clue... :cartman:

Surely you can not be referring to the utterly forgettable "Magic"?

Like 'em both equally. They've given me hours of listening pleasure, so I'd never choose one over the other.

Georg, I gotta ask, what the hell does anything you said here have to do with which releases you actually prefer? I've read and re-read your post, and still have no clue... :cartman:

Surely you can not be referring to the utterly forgettable "Magic"?

okey, lets say that my best axel is magic! :tumbsup: (for the poll's requirements). simply out of this world. the clown is dead now.

All Yngwie, all the way... ARP's okay in my book, and has some good songs and has had some good bands, but his playing isn't anywhere near the caliber of YJM IMHO.

Backed. Yngwie is the better technician by a mile, and pretty much all of his albums (even the recent rubbish) has been better than ARP....

All Yngwie, all the way... ARP's okay in my book, and has some good songs and has had some good bands, but his playing isn't anywhere near the caliber of YJM IMHO.

Backed. Yngwie is the better technician by a mile, and pretty much all of his albums (even the recent rubbish) has been better than ARP....

Thrice I say. Yngwie all the way, even though as TIM(2) (and many others say) that his recent out put has been far from exceptional.

I agree with everyone! Yngwie is a billion times the guitarist ARP is, but like Mike says, for me it's all about the songs. And although ARP may only be on par with CC Deville as a guitarist (lol) he has written some really cool riff-monster tracks. Here's how I split it:

Trilogy ; by far the best of his early work.

Wild Obsession ; majority fillers on the Yngwie disc wheras this is mostly simple but killer riff-heavy hard rock... with Huhn on vocals too, I believe? Very basic choice for me.

Nasty Reputation ; again, 'Eclipse' has some great moments (about 3) but the rest is pure filler. This is another collection of great riff-heavy hard rock from start to finish. Another very simple choice.

Eternal Prisoner ; 'Fire and Ice' is arguably Yngwie's worst wheras this is arguably ARP's best. With JSS on vocals, this absolutely kills 'Fire and Ice'. To each their own, but I kind of wonder if everyone who voted on these 2 has heard both, 'cause this choice leaves me mind-blown. ARP by miles. :)

Between the Walls ; I went with ARP, even though I actually really dig this Yngwie release. Toughest choice yet. 'Between the walls' just has a few better songs on it. Love 'Hairtrigger' though.

Magnum Opus ; I f*cked up. I was meant to choose ARP but I got albums confused. I confused this one for 'Magic', which is one of the worst albums ever. My apologies. I like this Yngwie album too, but the ARP is miles better, imo.

Facing the Animal ; another really easy choice. Yngwie's best disc by far compared to a standard ARP one.

The Masqeurade Ball ; very simple choice. Yngwie's disc is a mess, this is solid again.

Shadow Zone ; more nonsense from Yngwie, more predictable but solid work from ARP.

ARP - Kings & Queens ; it was always going to by ARP, but this is the better one, imo.

Tales of the crown ; same ol' story. Poor Yngwie, solid ARP.

Diamonds Unlocked ; I've heard neither and never desire to, but I assumed ARP.

Difficult choice, both are great axemen, but with different styles. For me, Yngwie has a more a "virtuoso" classical-inspired style, while ARP is a straight-forward hard rocker.

I haven't heard all the Yngwie stuff, so I can't post a complete vote, but as I have listened so far, I'll choose ARP because or the songs. Great riffs, great solos and catchy choruses. "Wild Obsession", "Between The Walls", "Black Moon Pyramid" and "Oceans Of Time" are really killer albums

• 5 months later...