Harpers Island - New show on CBS

heaven&hell

Is anyone else planning on watching this murder/mystery series when it debuts this thursday?

It looks like it could be a good show but hopefully it's not another overhyped show and turns into a let down.

I think the concept looks interesting. But is it a drama or a "reality" show?

I'm going to give it a chance along with the other 2 new shows starting up this week......Southland & The Unusuals.....

Both of those look good too especially 'Southland' with Michael Cudlitz.

He's been a guest star on every show but besides a half a season on Fox's 'Standoff' a few years ago he's never had a starring role. Hopefully the show catches on.

'The Unusuals' looks good too and it's nice to see Adam Goldberg get a lead role.

He did have some jewish spoof show on Comedy Central about years ago but it was canceled very quickly.

I will be watching this as well as "Southland"...Both look awesome.

I had every intention of watching the Harper's Island thing. The TV gods did not see it in the cards and I had wildfire coverage in it's place here in OKC. I will watch it online and go from there. I did see a pretty funny ass show that premiered on Comedy Central last night called Krod Mandoon. I was in stitches. Funny shit!

I really enjoyed Harper's Island. I'm hooked for sure. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Wes, I'm glad to tell you you've finally delivered again. It's been a long time since 'Lost' and this, but this show premiered in Australia last night and I freakin' loved it. I will sure as f*ck be tuning in every week for this one. It doesn't hurt that the 2 leading brunettes are both completely delicious either.

Well, Wes, I'm glad to tell you you've finally delivered again. It's been a long time since 'Lost' and this, but this show premiered in Australia last night and I freakin' loved it. I will sure as f*ck be tuning in every week for this one. It doesn't hurt that the 2 leading brunettes are both completely delicious either.

Yup great show and I've watched every episode so far.

Although they moved it to Saturday night from Thursday night for some reason.

Thank God for the invention of the DVR!

Does that move mean it's losing popularity? Putting a show on Saturday over here means no one cares anymore. I'd hate for this to be one of those awesome shows I really dig that gets cancelled halfway through the season.

I know the new '90210' was trash, but it was trash I was enjoying. But they canned it about halfway through the season and that really, really pisses me off.

Does that move mean it's losing popularity? Putting a show on Saturday over here means no one cares anymore. I'd hate for this to be one of those awesome shows I really dig that gets cancelled halfway through the season.

I know the new '90210' was trash, but it was trash I was enjoying. But they canned it about halfway through the season and that really, really pisses me off.

The 90210 is still going here but it was moved from 7pm to 9pm but my wife always dvr's it and watches it later.

As for Harpers Island I don't know if moving it had anything to do with ratings or not.

They might of just put it on Saturday since it was a murder mystery thinking maybe families would have a better chance of watching at 8 instead of a weeknight at 9. But I could be wrong.

I heard from a friend that the show was in danger of being canceled but since all the episodes were already filmed the network dumped it into the worst time slot of the week. I have nothing to back that up, but it's probably true.

Yeah, the ratings were pretty abysmal, so CBS dumped it on Saturday nights:

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/04/29/harpe...w-ratings/17713

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2009/04/27/cbs-e...-saturday/17476

BTW... TV By The Numbers = EXCELLENT site if you like to keep up with how your favorite TV shows are doing. :tumbsup:

Man, that's disappointing. But with regard to Jim's post and also to a vibe I get from that 2nd article, is this only a one season show? The promo here says "Each week one person will die" so one assumes that it's only one season's worth of death, mayhem and joy and then it's all over? Were there originally plans (before the poor ratings) for further episodes after the first season?

I think I originally thought 'Lost' might be a one season show... but look at that now. :lol:

Man, that's disappointing. But with regard to Jim's post and also to a vibe I get from that 2nd article, is this only a one season show? The promo here says "Each week one person will die" so one assumes that it's only one season's worth of death, mayhem and joy and then it's all over? Were there originally plans (before the poor ratings) for further episodes after the first season?

I think I originally thought 'Lost' might be a one season show... but look at that now. :lol:

I think Harper's Island was always intended to be just a one season event, which makes it better IMO. Twin Peaks was one of my favorite shows back in the day, but the way they dragged that out it just faded into a silly, unsatisfying conclusion. With Harper's Island you get the feeling that the writer's know exactly where the story is going and how to get there with maximum impact.

Does anyone else think the acting in H.I. is kind of cheesy, but in a good way?

I think Harper's Island was always intended to be just a one season event, which makes it better IMO. Twin Peaks was one of my favorite shows back in the day, but the way they dragged that out it just faded into a silly, unsatisfying conclusion. With Harper's Island you get the feeling that the writer's know exactly where the story is going and how to get there with maximum impact.

I'm only one episode in, but yeah, definite cheese. One of the very first scenes, with the bride-to-be blowing her groom-to-be a kiss while his friends were around claiming the kiss etc. Cheese, cheese, cheese! But still an awesome show.

Yeah, I think having a one season show is a great idea. Just like so many films that don't need a sequel.

I'm surprised this isn't a little more popular. I guess people are more content with carbon copy 'CSI' and 'Law And Order' crime shows opposed to something a little spicier. :)

I'm only one episode in, but yeah, definite cheese. One of the very first scenes, with the bride-to-be blowing her groom-to-be a kiss while his friends were around claiming the kiss etc. Cheese, cheese, cheese! But still an awesome show.

Yeah, I think having a one season show is a great idea. Just like so many films that don't need a sequel.

I'm surprised this isn't a little more popular. I guess people are more content with carbon copy 'CSI' and 'Law And Order' crime shows opposed to something a little spicier. :)

The public's taste in television shows always amazes me. Last year there was a show on in the States called "Fear Itself". It was a weekly, one hour show. Each episode was a self-contained mini-movie dealing with some form of fear or horror. They were mostly fun and clever. (The gore was kept to a minimum since it was on network tv.) I thought it was great. But no one watched it and now it's gone.

Hopefully, Harper's Island isn't the next "The Nine" and doesn't get canceled before it's run is over.

The public's taste in television shows always amazes me. Last year there was a show on in the States called "Fear Itself". It was a weekly, one hour show. Each episode was a self-contained mini-movie dealing with some form of fear or horror. They were mostly fun and clever. (The gore was kept to a minimum since it was on network tv.) I thought it was great. But no one watched it and now it's gone.

Hopefully, Harper's Island isn't the next "The Nine" and doesn't get canceled before it's run is over.

Yeah, don't get me started on the current state of TV. Absolutely pathetic.

That 'Fear Itself' show sounds awesome. Wish we'd got it here. I admit I missed 'The Nine' but I believe it did air all of 2 or 3 episodes here before it was canned. It was one of those shows I wanted to watch but missed, and then was glad I didn't get sucked into being disappointed.

Sad to hear about the ratings and as said above I'm not suprised with the great shows that seemed to get cancelled every year.

The promoted the hell out of this show but I guess your average tv watcher just doesn't want to watch a show that makes you think.

• 2 weeks later...

Last nights episode was great IMO.

So am I right to assume that the man in the cabin that JD went to see at the end was in fact John Wakefield?

Also they've never mentioned anything about JD and Henry's Dad.

Could Wakefield be their Dad?

I love this show. :headbanger:

Plus how f#@king hot is the chick that plays Trish? :bowdown: