Kooga - Across The Water

JC_AOR

I'm hoping a few of the 80's AOR fans can tell me if this one is worthwhile...

They're an AOR/Pomp/Hard Rock band from Wales who released a single album 'Across The Water' back in 1986 and a 2 track single 'Don't Break My Heart' in 1988.

I've heard some really positive comments and I'm considering buying the CD re-issue from AOR Heaven (released November 11th on the Krescendo label)

So far all I've heard is the title track 'Across The Water' which is really cool.

Kooga---Across-The-Water.jpg

212944.jpg

Across The Water video on YouTube

Kooga Bio @ AOR FM

Kooga Bio @ MusicMight

I'll be picking this up so I can add with my reborn classics cd pressing.

Musically I don't find this to be a classic like many in the aor circle but it's got some pretty cool songs.

You dont find this a classic.. yet youll buy it twice?

If you own the reborn classics cd pressing I can't see how you'd not agree that the sound quality leaves alot to be desired. The source for the cd came from a lp which I believe was not in mint condition. I hope the reissue contains those 2 tracks on their single from 1988. I'm pretty sure the single was pressed on cd but I have never seen it.

• 3 weeks later...
I'll be picking this up so I can add with my reborn classics cd pressing.

Musically I don't find this to be a classic like many in the aor circle but it's got some pretty cool songs.

You dont find this a classic.. yet youll buy it twice?

If you own the reborn classics cd pressing I can't see how you'd not agree that the sound quality leaves alot to be desired. The source for the cd came from a lp which I believe was not in mint condition. I hope the reissue contains those 2 tracks on their single from 1988. I'm pretty sure the single was pressed on cd but I have never seen it.

Unfortunately the re-issue does not contain the two tracks from that single...it's an unchanged track list.

One of my all time favorites here......I had the reborn classics pressing that was acceptable, but full of noise from the LP transfer......typical bootleg. I transfered the LP to CDR myself and had a sweet sounding copy for many moons.....I definitely had to get this release to add to my collection....

Now, I hear there are two tracks from a single that was released.... Oh man, Andy, you're hurtin' me here. I'll have to get my hands on a copy of those someday to hear.

Didnt the singer go on to sing for Skin?

Wonder where he is these days?

Tc

he's apparently a fitness instructor to the stars in london with no interest whatsovere in reforming skin for even 1 gig.........

Thank christ for that. Skin were shit!

Anyway, wouldn't mind hearing this Kooga band you're all talking about. Never even heard of it before...

• 3 months later...
Guest daveprince37
Didnt the singer go on to sing for Skin?

Wonder where he is these days?

Tc

he's apparently a fitness instructor to the stars in london with no interest whatsovere in reforming skin for even 1 gig.........

Thank christ for that. Skin were shit!

Anyway, wouldn't mind hearing this Kooga band you're all talking about. Never even heard of it before...

Myke Gray the Guitarist is the fitness instructor... - Neville is now a School Teacher in the Valleys...

• 8 years later...

Hmm, maybe I don't need to check out Kooga. Sounds okay, but not as though I'm missing anything...

Hmm, maybe I don't need to check out Kooga. Sounds okay, but not as though I'm missing anything...

Wow....Geoff, you can't be serious man??? Don't you get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.....this is different!! I guess it is the leanings of Pomp / progressive style AOR that drives you off? After all, bands such as UK's MAGNUM, PRAYING MANTIS and SARACEN fall into this genre......do they have much appeal to you? I know your ears desire more of an "edge", but this is classical stuff......

Wow....Geoff, you can't be serious man??? Don't you get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over.....this is different!! I guess it is the leanings of Pomp / progressive style AOR that drives you off? After all, bands such as UK's MAGNUM, PRAYING MANTIS and SARACEN fall into this genre......do they have much appeal to you? I know your ears desire more of an "edge", but this is classical stuff......

Ha! Same stuff over and over?! I haven't heard the same album twice in a year for decades! :lol: Not quite, but I'd kill to be able to listen to the same (selected especially) stuff over and over again. I listen to way too much stuff.

I like plenty of different stuff, but yeah, even the mere mention of "progressive AOR" is enough to send me running. I like the AOR side of Magnum and Praying Mantis, but as a whole, don't like either band, and never tried Saracen more than a sample here and there, which I disliked.

Yeah, I think this one's just not up my alley.

but I'd kill to be able to listen to the same (selected especially) stuff over and over again. I listen to way too much stuff.

That is such a weird statement.

And so wrong in a way

but I'd kill to be able to listen to the same (selected especially) stuff over and over again. I listen to way too much stuff.

And so wrong in a way

As I've stated previously, my mission - until it is complete - is to rate my entire collection - CD, CDR and MP3. Once I am finished and it is all rated, I will never have to listen to something I dislike ever again, but I need to finish what I've started.

And so wrong in a way

As I've stated previously, my mission - until it is complete - is to rate my entire collection - CD, CDR and MP3. Once I am finished and it is all rated, I will never have to listen to something I dislike ever again, but I need to finish what I've started.

I know. But you also spin about 300+ new albums a year.....90% of which are not worth more than a sample or 2.

This is my point.

And so wrong in a way

I know. But you also spin about 300+ new albums a year.....90% of which are not worth more than a sample or 2.

This is my point.

How do you find the gems if you don't wade through the pretenders (within reason), though?

And so wrong in a way

This is my point.

How do you find the gems if you don't wade through the pretenders (within reason), though?

Samples.

I must have at least 30 albums this year where I have dismissed on samples alone. Just no time to entertain those albums which have zero chance of breaking 70% cos they NEVER get heard again.

Systematically listening to the whole album and providing a rating is just a complete waste of time and is contributing to your 'issue' of not spending enough time listening to the good stuff.

Up to u tho mate.

And so wrong in a way

This is my point.

Samples.

I must have at least 30 albums this year where I have dismissed on samples alone. Just no time to entertain those albums which have zero chance of breaking 70% cos they NEVER get heard again.

Systematically listening to the whole album and providing a rating is just a complete waste of time and is contributing to your 'issue' of not spending enough time listening to the good stuff.

Up to u tho mate.

Simple fact is, though, that if I wasn't going through rating my entire collection, I always did, and would have heaps of time to listen to all I wanted, plus give the new releases a go too. As it is, I get more than enough time to spin new releases, even rating all my old stuff. Just in the short term, I'm not spinning older albums as much as I'd like to, or will in the very near future.

But I know my goal, and I'm happy to put in the hard yards to get to it. :)

as I said, up to you.

No way would I waste my time listening to 250+ garbage albums every year tho.

Even in a year as strong as 2017 promises to be 70% will be breached before album no 30.

Unless we are very lucky.

as I said, up to you.

No way would I waste my time listening to 250+ garbage albums every year tho.

Even in a year as strong as 2017 promises to be 70% will be breached before album no 30.

Unless we are very lucky.

I know where you're going with it, but it's not anywhere near that black and white. I absolutely love individual songs on some 70% albums. Songs that are a highlight of my year.

And also, are you suggesting that you just - without fail - pick the best 30 albums of the year and thus don't need to hear the rest of them? I'd bet the underside of my ballsack that you miss a few great albums every year that way. Yes, I might listen to a lot of albums as a once off, but that's a minor issue when I get time to listen to 10+ albums per day. ;)