Nickleback - 'Dark Horse' (Produced by Mutt Lange!)

Geoff

Okay, usually I'd be the last person to get excited about this band, even though I admit to liking their last album a lot. But, I just went for a drive to the bank with someone here and the new song 'Gotta be somebody' was on that radio... and all I have to say is wowser! Pure melodic/commercial hard rock bliss. Absolutely loved it, and was delighted to see them start off with a single that is not a ballad.

Very promising for the new album, 'Dark Horse', due on November 18th.

Sounds pretty good and should be another HUGE hit.

• 1 month later...

I just have to say it again before radio absolutely slaughters this song with mindless overkill, but while it's still fresh goddamn I love this song!! Almost sounds prime Bon Jovi-ish!!!

Nickelback - Something In Your Mouth

The new single, sounds dirty good to me! :headbanger:

Oh yea I am digging this!!!!!!!!!! :headbanger:

Just randomly looking on their myspace site for the new song (don't have access to sound here at work unfortuntely) and I glanced at their "myspace friends" and wondered if she likes putting things in her mouth...

s_0d3a5c0b80458f313d17e651a70444d4.jpg

Just randomly looking on their myspace site for the new song (don't have access to sound here at work unfortuntely) and I glanced at their "myspace friends" and wondered if she likes putting things in her mouth...

Oh I got something she can put in her mouth...... :whistle:

Oh I got something she can put in her mouth...... :whistle:

Onions?

Maybe we can open up a topic for this one at Hard Rock as well? Just finished listening to the entire album and my calculations turned out to be just about right. The album's downright 80's Hard Rock heaven! :D

Anywhere near as good as Hinder?

Right on if you ask me, the typical Mutt sound is all over this. In comparison to Hinder, this one has a little harder edge at times. It's by far my favorite Nickelback album and some of the guitar work including solos are just insane for today's standards. :headbanger:

Thanks mate, I'll spin this tonight. The funny thing about Nickelback is that people fob them off as a ballad band after their success with lighter singles, but some of the stuff on 'All the right reasons' was pretty f*cking heavy for a popular hard rock band. I will never like this guy's voice but if they can keep producing the goods like the last album it's just silly to ignore them.

Right on if you ask me, the typical Mutt sound is all over this. In comparison to Hinder, this one has a little harder edge at times. It's by far my favorite Nickelback album and some of the guitar work including solos are just insane for today's standards. :headbanger:

Thanks mate, I'll spin this tonight. The funny thing about Nickelback is that people fob them off as a ballad band after their success with lighter singles, but some of the stuff on 'All the right reasons' was pretty f*cking heavy for a popular hard rock band. I will never like this guy's voice but if they can keep producing the goods like the last album it's just silly to ignore them.

My thoughts exactly. Was never too big on the voice either but I must say Chad's handling it pretty well on this new record, it does fit. And next to it you get some killer tunes right back to the mainstream of course.

I've spun this one a few times, and it's pretty good. Nothing special, and not as good as the last album IMO, but it does have some strong tunes and the production is amazing. I do think that first single "Gotta Be Somebody" is the highlight here, and there aren't quite as many melodic tunes as I'd have liked, but a decent listen....

I've spun this one a few times, and it's pretty good. Nothing special, and not as good as the last album IMO, but it does have some strong tunes and the production is amazing. I do think that first single "Gotta Be Somebody" is the highlight here, and there aren't quite as many melodic tunes as I'd have liked, but a decent listen....

I've only given it one spin but I didn't like it at all. Maybe I need to play it again.

I just really don't like Chad Kroeger's voice so maybe that's the problem.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This is a good one. The Deluxe Edition from MelodicRock Classics looks interesting. See below:  
    • New songs. From Frontiers: Frontiers Music Srl is thrilled to announce the upcoming release of Perfect Plan's third studio album, "Brace For Impact". Over the course of their first two albums, "All Rise" and "Time For A Miracle", the Swedes have quickly established themselves as a new gold standard in not only the Scandinavian melodic rock genre, but the melodic rock genre as a whole. "Brace For Impact" does nothing to slow that momentum and fans should do exactly as the album's title says in preparation for their latest opus.  Produced by the band, songwriting started in August 2021 for "Brace For Impact" and was wrapped up by the end of the year. The band then spent January of this year working on arrangements and pre-production work before starting the process of recording in the first week of February. Asked about the musical direction of the album, vocalist Kent Hilli says, "Well, hard question...we didn’t think too much about that when we started writing as we want everything to come naturally to us. All we focused on and wanted to do was to write really great melodic rock songs with great riffs and melodies. But I think we have more ”rockers” on this album than before. I would say that it's melodic rock in general, but maybe slightly harder than our previous albums. But much like our second album, ”Time For A Miracle” we have a great mixture between hard rock, melodic rock, and AOR in there...and some songs even have some elements of progressive rock and some bluesier elements mixed in also. And we have just one ballad on this album. Our goal when writing an album is that it should feel like playing songs on a jukebox and I think we have succeeded with that on this album. Everything sounds like PERFECT PLAN 3.0, really! I think we have definitely pushed everything up a notch from songwriting and lyrics to arrangements and overall performance and sound. With the addition of the great Tobias Lindell who does the mixing…everything sounds really big and majestic I think!" Sometimes the stars align and create a perfect balance of talent within a group. A band like Perfect Plan is the “perfect" (pun intended) example of that: a superb singer, a well-oiled band of experienced players, and a great songwriting talent with a knack for unforgettable melodies and driving rhythms. Add to that the right single released at the right time and Perfect Plan’s emergence as immediate rising stars on the melodic rock scene is no surprise. The song that “built” their reputation is of course the awesome “In and Out of Love,” the first single/video that kicked off the promotion of the band’s 2018 debut album “All Rise,” released on Frontiers in April of that year. The band followed their debut album with the sophomore release "Time For A Miracle" in 2020. Hyperbole aside, it was a major step forward across the board. Opting for a slightly heavier and more “in your face” sound, Perfect Plan matured and created an outstanding balance of melodies and energy, with the obvious references to the sound of the classics (think Foreigner, Survivor, The Storm, Giant, etc.) and Scandinavian AOR with a recognizable and personal feel. So, after a stunning debut and sticking the landing with their second album, what does Perfect Plan have up their sleeve for an encore? Well, all we can say is..."Brace For Impact”! Tracklisting: 1. Surrender 2. If Love Walks In 3. Can’t Let You Win 4. Gotta Slow Me Down 5. Stop The Bleed 6. My Angel 7. Devil’s Got The Blues 8. Bring Me A Doctor 9. Still Undefeated 10. Emelie 11. Walk Through Fire Line-Up: Kent Hilli - Lead vocals Rolf Nordström - Guitar Leif Ehlin - Keyboards Fredrik Forsberg - Drums Mats Byström - Bass   https://perfectplan.se facebook        
    • Baton Rogue Morgue - Massacre of St. Valentine's Day. Great track despite the clunky chorus. Solid album.    
    • I've just posted this "Grim Reaper" retrospective in another thread, but it should be here as well.    
    • "Grim Reaper" features this time. I don't know if he had this one in the works, but it's a nice tribute.    
    • I would have put Animalize as the middle feature piece as the album cover looks the most "blanketty"
    • My favorite guitarist of all time Rock In Peace  Eddie 🎸 
    • The full album's on YouTube. 
    • I just listened to the album for the first time. Wow. Can't believe it took me so long to get to it. I think what happened was Andrew signed these guys and Degreed right around the same time, and I was just vibing with the Degreed sound so much more. Might have to track down the reissue. I wonder if he still has some copies. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.