Which album is most over-rated hard rock release?

rob62972

Van Halen with Roth = Godhead. Van Halen with Hagar = crapola.

Ne'er have truer words been spoken.

Notice that I didn't even MENTION Van Halen with Cherone? That's because I'm trying to forget that it ever happened.

I know not what thou speakest of. Cease thy pratlling and lies heathen!

I gotta stop hanging out in the D&D thread... :blink:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought you were practicing Anglo-speak for your trip to England...

I thought you were practicing Anglo-speak for your trip to England...

Well colour me anglicised. ;)

I had completely wiped Van Halen III from my memory.....thanx Keith for putting it back in brother......real friend you are!!!! :doh:

Didn't like Extreme and damn sure didn't like Gary trying to sound like Sammy!!!!! :loser:

Chris

Everything by Guns N' Roses.

Guns n' Roses are one of my fav bands of all time.

Appetite for Destruction is the greatest Hard Rock album ever imo.

While I'll admit that Use Your Illusion should of been one cd instead of two, I can't see GnR being over-rated in any way.

Yeah, for me most of G N'R's material is so-so, but there's no way even I can overlook 'Appetite for destruction'. The rest I never listen to, but that album really kicks ass.

Appetite For Destruction is one of those "must have" albums. It's up there with AC/DC's BACK IN BLACK in my opinion... i.e. if you don't have it, there is a mighty big hole in your collection. That said, I can take or leave just about everything G&R did after "Appetite."

Now I'm probably going to make a few enemies, but I have to get this off my chest: I've always thought Dream Theater was OVERRATED as HELL. I have tried, and tried, and TRIED, but I have yet to understand what all the whoop-de-doo is about that band. They bore me to tears.

(Going to hide in my bomb shelter now.... :gone:)

Now I'm probably going to make a few enemies, but I have to get this off my chest: I've always thought Dream Theater was OVERRATED as HELL. I have tried, and tried, and TRIED, but I have yet to understand what all the whoop-de-doo is about that band. They bore me to tears.

I'm comin' with ya then.....I don't "get" them either. I personally can't stand the vocals.......and there's only one song I like....."As I Am" or something like that?

And another one.........Queensryche.

:anon:

I'm with ya both there too! Make room for me in the shelter! :lol:

I have about 3 Dream Theatre albums and could not tell you a single song name. IMO, boring, overly complex and yeah... I just don't get it. Songs do nothing for me. Refer to my comments on Leverage, about not being able to connect with lyrics... except with Dream Theatre I cannot connect on any level. They hit a good groove, throw in a cool riff and then the tempo does a complete 180 and you're lost... man I hate prog (sorry fans!). Not a fan at all... even though I do love LaBrie's voice on Winter Rose.

And Queensryche... I'll take 'Hand on heart', 'Best I can' and 'Another rainy night'... okay, and 'The lady wore red' and leave the rest of the collection thanks. :) I'm one of these posers who only likes 'Empire'... but I can't help it! I just didn't like the rest of their stuff at all...

Thanks for the backup, Geoff and MJ... gonna be cozy in that bomb shelter... :) I expect fireballs to start falling from the sky any minute now... .

Appetite For Destruction is one of those "must have" albums. It's up there with AC/DC's BACK IN BLACK in my opinion... i.e. if you don't have it, there is a mighty big hole in your collection. That said, I can take or leave just about everything G&R did after "Appetite."

It's hard for me to understand Keith that you like Queensryche and Maiden but you don't like Dream Theater.

Not that DT sounds exactly like those bands, it's just that they are so influenced by them.

I guess DT is just one of those bands that you either love or hate, and I've always loved them, but even I can admit sometimes they go over the top. My favorite release of theirs is "Falling into Infinity" because they simplified things quite a bit and just wrote really great songs but it still had great playing.

Thanks for the backup, Geoff and MJ... gonna be cozy in that bomb shelter... :) I expect fireballs to start falling from the sky any minute now... .

You guys cool with me not wearing pants?

It's hard for me to understand Keith that you like Queensryche and Maiden but you don't like Dream Theater.

Not that DT sounds exactly like those bands, it's just that they are so influenced by them.

I guess DT is just one of those bands that you either love or hate, and I've always loved them, but even I can admit sometimes they go over the top. My favorite release of theirs is "Falling into Infinity" because they simplified things quite a bit and just wrote really great songs but it still had great playing.

I dunno man, like I said, I tried to get on the DT bandwagon but they just never did a thing for me. I liked "Pull Me Under" when that was getting a lot of radio play years ago so I bought the CD it was on (was that "Images & Words?" I forget) but the rest of the album put me to sleep. I eventually traded that one away, but I've given them a few more chances since then and each time came away feeling like I just don't "get" them. I've borrowed some other DT albums from friends, with the same results...total boredom. I will admit that they're amazing players and considering my usual musical tastes you'd think that I really SHOULD like them, but they just leave me cold. What can I say, I can't like EVERYTHING eh?

I don't have a problem with it but MJ might. :)

Are you ever wearing pants? <_<

Not since '79.

I'm gonna join you guys in the bomb shelter, not a Queensryche fan at all although I do like there Queen of the Ryche song just for the funny video with it. Never did get Dream Theater either but man do I love Maiden. Maybe I should give Empire a listen.....I can't take hearing Silent Lucidity anymore (God I hate that song).

I'm gonna join you guys in the bomb shelter, not a Queensryche fan at all although I do like there Queen of the Ryche song just for the funny video with it. Never did get Dream Theater either but man do I love Maiden. Maybe I should give Empire a listen.....I can't take hearing Silent Lucidity anymore (God I hate that song).

Haha, oh hell yes, the "Queen of the Reich" video is a classic slice of early 80s cheese... I taped that one off of VH1 Classic a while ago after not seeing it for many years and I just laughed and laughed... the best part is at the very end when it sez "TO BE CONTINUED!", which of course it never was... a while back a reporter buddy of mine interviewed Geoff Tate for the newspaper (for the release of "Mindcrime II") and he asked me if there were any questions I'd like to ask him... so I sez "Yea, ask him when we're finally going to see the sequel to the Queen of the Reich video, I've been waiting 22 years!" hahaha.

WOW..........there's gonna be a party in the bomb shelter!!! :woot:

:lol:

WOW..........there's gonna be a party in the bomb shelter!!! :woot:

:lol:

We'll put a big sign on the door: "NO DREAM THEATER ALLOWED"

I would have to argue for *some* Queensryche though. Come on, "Operation Mindcrime" is a classic. Yea, they released nothin' but turd for most of the last fifteen years (till "Mindcrime II") but their early stuff is essential...

I have that video from VH1 Classic too Keith.......hilarious and yeah I do remember the part at the end, thanx I didn't know they didn't continue it LOL I wonder why?

Haven't heard Mindcrime II yet will have to get it and give it spin maybe.

Blasphemers all of you... <_<

Uh-oh...Dream Theater fan in the house!

Blasphemers all of you... <_<

Uh-oh...Dream Theater fan in the house!

<_< Yeah.....but he's one of those bastid "Hysteria" haters.

Oh wait..........so are YOU~!!

Aghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... :axe:

I'll let you bring "Hysteria" into the bomb shelter as long as you let me bring some vintage Queensryche, MJ :lol:

I'll let you bring "Hysteria" into the bomb shelter as long as you let me bring some vintage Queensryche, MJ :lol:

"To be continued..."

:lol: That cracks me up, I almost forgot about that little piece of absurdity...