Which album is most over-rated hard rock release?

rob62972

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hear me out here I'm goin' with Def Leppard's Hysteria.....I mean I love that album and its their most popular yes I know all this. I'm mainly putting it up here for what it caused after this album(the boys lost their edge) and every album since has just been softer than the next one. Now sayin' all this I own every Def Leppard album except the last greatest hits comp and their new covers album(haven't gotten around to picking this one up). Guess that is just one my observations.

Hear me out here I'm goin' with Def Leppard's Hysteria.....I mean I love that album and its their most popular yes I know all this. I'm mainly putting it up here for what it caused after this album(the boys lost their edge) and every album since has just been softer than the next one. Now sayin' all this I own every Def Leppard album except the last greatest hits comp and their new covers album(haven't gotten around to picking this one up). Guess that is just one my observations.

I would agree with that observation. I thought maybe losing Steve Clark had something to do with it. Then they went out and got Viv Campbell and they sucked worse. Wish the old Def Lep would come back. :blink:

Another way over-rated album:

The Darkness - Permission To Land

I would agree with that observation. I thought maybe losing Steve Clark had something to do with it. Then they went out and got Viv Campbell and they sucked worse. Wish the old Def Lep would come back. :blink:

Another way over-rated album:

The Darkness - Permission To Land

I agree.....

HELL Yea on Hysteria... they used to be such a good hard rockin' band but then from Hysteria on down it's been a downhill slide...

I would vote for Metallica's Black Album for similar reasons. Another fantastic band, but that CD signaled rough seas ahead for the next fifteen years...

You know I was thinkin' the exact same thing about Metallica, man once that hit and everyone had it they just Blew Up and then shortly after imploded. Sad really...........but as Jerry Cantrell puts it when he said something to Lars and James about selling out "hell yeah we're selling out arena after arena"

Thinkin' of some other over-rated albums.

Well any Poison album could definately be considered over-rated with the exception of IMO Flesh & Blood now that was just all around solid album.

Totally on board with ya there. :agree:

....Except I really don't even like the album that much... probably if someone else had put it out, but I was expecting so much more, after such a long time... :(

Don't want to offense fans, but for me all the Poison's albums are over-rated IMHO...

I would think that MJ would be used to all the Hysteria Hatin' around here from me, BC, AMetalhead1966, and so on and so on....

But we love you anyway, MJ :lol:

Ozzy Osbourne- "Ozzmosis".

Agreed, "OzzMosis" sucked sour frog ass. I think that disc set a record for the shortest time spent in my CD player before it went to the trade pile. Ozzy hasn't made a decent record since "No More Tears" in my book.

I would think that MJ would be used to all the Hysteria Hatin' around here from me, BC, AMetalhead1966, and so on and so on....

Ya'd think, wouldn't ya? :lol: But I'm a stubborn lil bitch..... ;)

Well, let me say this in Hysteria's defense: (this is sort of a back handed compliment so I have a feeling that I run a risk of getting :pound: by MJ here):

If I could've looked into the future in 1987 and seen where Def Leppard would have gone from there, then HYSTERIA would probably go up a few notches in my book... when I heard the "X" album a few years back I was like "Good god, they've turned into the Backstreet Boys with guitar solos!" Gimme HYSTERIA over that piece of doo-doo any day...

Same with Metallica... yea, I didn't like the Black Album much but if I could've foreseen LOAD, RELOAD and especially ST. ANGER, well, hell, compared to those CDs the Black Album is a thrash masterpiece!

Well, let me say this in Hysteria's defense: (this is sort of a back handed compliment so I have a feeling that I run a risk of getting :pound: by MJ here):

If I could've looked into the future in 1987 and seen where Def Leppard would have gone from there, then HYSTERIA would probably go up a few notches in my book... when I heard the "X" album a few years back I was like "Good god, they've turned into the Backstreet Boys with guitar solos!" Gimme HYSTERIA over that piece of doo-doo any day...

Same with Metallica... yea, I didn't like the Black Album much but if I could've foreseen LOAD, RELOAD and especially ST. ANGER, well, hell, compared to those CDs the Black Album is a thrash masterpiece!

:agree: Good points, all.

Ozzy Osbourne- "Ozzmosis".

Agreed, "OzzMosis" sucked sour frog ass. I think that disc set a record for the shortest time spent in my CD player before it went to the trade pile. Ozzy hasn't made a decent record since "No More Tears" in my book.

Sour frog ass? That doesn't sound to appealing.

Just my 2 cents :) :

I think the Darkness' over-ratedness depends on which circles of people you look at it from. I think generally only non-rock fans like them (sorry to the exceptions here - Nick and Jez :D) but most rock fans actually detest them with most fibres of their being... so yeah, over-rated by the public, but not by the general rock fan... IMO. :)

Velvet Revolver - I agree. I tried to convince myself the album was okay... but seriously, it pretty much sucks.

Def Leppard - I have to admit I still love 'Hysteria' and whilst not a bench-mark for metal albums, it is a brilliant peice of melodic rock/AOR. As for being soft every release after... remember, IMO, their finest album chaps - 'Retroactive'. Some of the tracks on that own 10-tonne balls. :)

Metallica - :lol: being the soft-cock I am, the black album is the one one I like. :)

Poison - Love them all. Don't really think they're over-rated because they were only ever rated as a good commercial rock band, who wrote fun, catchy commercial anthems... which is exactly what they did. No one ever said they were great musicians. :)

The ones that always get me in trouble, but I have to add to every poll of this type (I've done one here myself before):

Van Halen ; sorry guys, I just think there were a thousand better bands who wrote a million better songs than these guys. IMO, most albums were crammed with filler and was Eddie really that good that this band deserved their fame?

Toto ; Sorry again, just can't get into them and their style of song-writing is hard for me to cope with.

Journey ; Again, a thousand better bands and a thousand better songs. I don't hate these guys, just think they are SO over-rated and never understood why most AOR fans think to really appreciate AOR you must like these guys.

Led Zepplin ; I cannot see it at all... these guys bore me to death.

Just my 2 cents :) :

I think the Darkness' over-ratedness depends on which circles of people you look at it from. I think generally only non-rock fans like them (sorry to the exceptions here - Nick and Jez :D) but most rock fans actually detest them with most fibres of their being... so yeah, over-rated by the public, but not by the general rock fan... IMO. :)

Velvet Revolver - I agree. I tried to convince myself the album was okay... but seriously, it pretty much sucks.

Def Leppard - I have to admit I still love 'Hysteria' and whilst not a bench-mark for metal albums, it is a brilliant peice of melodic rock/AOR. As for being soft every release after... remember, IMO, their finest album chaps - 'Retroactive'. Some of the tracks on that own 10-tonne balls. :)

Metallica - :lol: being the soft-cock I am, the black album is the one one I like. :)

Poison - Love them all. Don't really think they're over-rated because they were only ever rated as a good commercial rock band, who wrote fun, catchy commercial anthems... which is exactly what they did. No one ever said they were great musicians. :)

The ones that always get me in trouble, but I have to add to every poll of this type (I've done one here myself before):

Van Halen ; sorry guys, I just think there were a thousand better bands who wrote a million better songs than these guys. IMO, most albums were crammed with filler and was Eddie really that good that this band deserved their fame?

Toto ; Sorry again, just can't get into them and their style of song-writing is hard for me to cope with.

Journey ; Again, a thousand better bands and a thousand better songs. I don't hate these guys, just think they are SO over-rated and never understood why most AOR fans think to really appreciate AOR you must like these guys.

Led Zepplin ; I cannot see it at all... these guys bore me to death.

Wow Geoff I used to like you man!!!!!! J/K will have to disagree with Van Halen....absolutely love these guys and definately do not have filler albums IMO. And yes Eddie WAS that damn good!!!!!!!!!

Love Led Zeppelin as well and Journey(getting into them more now)

But to each his own that's why were are all here for our different tastes in ROCK but still we ALL love ROCK.

I'll conditionally agree with Geoff's comments on Van Halen, except I want to make clear that Van Halen with Roth = Godhead. Van Halen with Hagar = crapola.

And I never really got into Zeppelin either... hope you don't hate me too now, Chris! :)

haha Don't hate anyone here.........well except Mr. PLEASE REPLY NOW boy :ahole:

I love both VH eras although Dave just owned back then, listen to him in concert he is f'n hilarious and can sing his ass off.

I will admit some Zeppelin if I'm listening to at work can make me kinda sleepy. Mostly try to keep the LOUD rock on all night.

PLEASE REPLY NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

what a :lame::ahole::whistle:

Everything by Guns N' Roses.

Oh yes, I totally agree !

Van Halen with Roth = Godhead. Van Halen with Hagar = crapola.

Ne'er have truer words been spoken.

Notice that I didn't even MENTION Van Halen with Cherone? That's because I'm trying to forget that it ever happened.