Compact Disc World R.I.P.

After work today, I drove across the highway to browse through a record store I've been going to for years. Just to look around before I meet with a friend for lunch (Which was next to C.D. world).

I looked over and noticed a huge empty store. At first I thought it was that SUZANNE store (A store from SUZANNE SUMMERS). As i got closer I noticed it was the place I've been going to for 17 years.

Stripped to the bone and the outside sign was already took down and showed a faded empty space where the c.d. world sign was.

With only a note on the door which read TO OUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS, THE PAST 17 YEARS WAS GREAT AND WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

I nearly fell to my knees and cried. I was just there 2 weeks ago and no sign of going out of business. The girl that worked there told me a few months ago that they are not going out of business.

This chain at one time bosted 10 stores throughout New Jersey. Now! I don't think they have anymore. They did have one in TOTOWA, but it's too far for me to travel to find out if they're there or not.

I now go to about 4 stores in new jersey and for everyone that goes, another piece of me dies. I just hope most of them hold out, but I do know 2 of them are in big trouble as well. :crying:

I hear ya. Last week I went to stop by the Cheapo disc store in Blaine, MN and they were doing construction work on the outside and the inside was empty.

I thought to myself :cartman: "WTF!"

After work today, I drove across the highway to browse through a record store I've been going to for years. Just to look around before I meet with a friend for lunch (Which was next to C.D. world).

I looked over and noticed a huge empty store. At first I thought it was that SUZANNE store (A store from SUZANNE SUMMERS). As i got closer I noticed it was the place I've been going to for 17 years.

Stripped to the bone and the outside sign was already took down and showed a faded empty space where the c.d. world sign was.

With only a note on the door which read TO OUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS, THE PAST 17 YEARS WAS GREAT AND WE THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.

I nearly fell to my knees and cried. I was just there 2 weeks ago and no sign of going out of business. The girl that worked there told me a few months ago that they are not going out of business.

This chain at one time bosted 10 stores throughout New Jersey. Now! I don't think they have anymore. They did have one in TOTOWA, but it's too far for me to travel to find out if they're there or not.

I now go to about 4 stores in new jersey and for everyone that goes, another piece of me dies. I just hope most of them hold out, but I do know 2 of them are in big trouble as well. :crying:

any photo of that girl?

That sucks bro, but I feel your pain. There was a Compact Disc World in my home town (Paramus) for many years but they gave up the ghost about ten years ago.

I felt the same way when Tower Records went outta business in Paramus too. :crying:

I've spent many a great day over many years hitting, first the record stores, then later they became CD stores. As most all of you know, CD stores are now becoming a thing of the past......pawn shops no longer accept CDs on consignments or even buy them so they are drying up there as well.........this is a sign of the "download" and "MP3" times my friends......our beloved stores are disappearing quickly all over America. The stores that were once loaded with CDs and that are still in business seem to have shifted their business to DVD and video games.......

:spchewie:

I hear ya. Last week I went to stop by the Cheapo disc store in Blaine, MN and they were doing construction work on the outside and the inside was empty.

I have to wonder if all the Cheapo stores went under. I was looking forward to stopping at the one in Moorhead, MN only to find that one too was shut down. Such a pity because I found so many goodies the last time I was in there. :(

The thing that pissed me off the most is, I was there 2 weeks ago. No 50% off, store fully packed and no sign whats so ever about closing. Where did the stuff go? Did they ship it to the store in TOTOWA? (Is that store still there?).

I see in 10 years, everyone will be shopping online to get their c.d.'s. If they still make them.

Think about it!

Will we ever see KIVEL, STORMSPELL, RETROSPECT, SENTINEL STEEL,ROCKADROME and all the other great labels in BEST BUY?

Did they ship it to the store in TOTOWA? (Is that store still there?).

I hope so! I haven't been to the Totowa store in ages though, so I don't know for sure. I used to work about five minutes from there so I used to take a quick trip on my lunch break once or twice a week to browse thru the used stuff. Found a LOT of great sh*t in that store.

...then three years ago they transferred me to a different office in an area completely barren of CD stores :crying:

Did they ship it to the store in TOTOWA? (Is that store still there?).

I hope so! I haven't been to the Totowa store in ages though, so I don't know for sure. I used to work about five minutes from there so I used to take a quick trip on my lunch break once or twice a week to browse thru the used stuff. Found a LOT of great sh*t in that store.

...then three years ago they transferred me to a different office in an area completely barren of CD stores :crying:

Damn Keef!

I feel your pain!!!

Damn Keef!

I feel your pain!!!

Doesn't really matter... I don't have any $ to piss away on CDs anymore anyway. Damn economic crisis :crying:

The thing that pissed me off the most is, I was there 2 weeks ago. No 50% off, store fully packed and no sign whats so ever about closing. Where did the stuff go? Did they ship it to the store in TOTOWA? (Is that store still there?).

I see in 10 years, everyone will be shopping online to get their c.d.'s. If they still make them.

Think about it!

Will we ever see KIVEL, STORMSPELL, RETROSPECT, SENTINEL STEEL,ROCKADROME and all the other great labels in BEST BUY?

i would care the less if they stopped making cds.... :christmas:

I've spent many a great day over many years hitting, first the record stores, then later they became CD stores. As most all of you know, CD stores are now becoming a thing of the past......pawn shops no longer accept CDs on consignments or even buy them so they are drying up there as well.........this is a sign of the "download" and "MP3" times my friends......our beloved stores are disappearing quickly all over America. The stores that were once loaded with CDs and that are still in business seem to have shifted their business to DVD and video games.......

:spchewie:

The highlighted line is just a load of nonsense. None of the huge major record companies in their right mind would totally force fans to go out and buy an mp3 player just to listen to their music artists. They would lose millions and millions of £$€¥ and would cause total backlash. Also, not everyone wants digital songs. Yes it may be the in thing to download music quickly but also many, including myself, want a physical product in their hand to have a spy through and read whenever they want and not have to be on a computer to do it or fuck on with an mp3 player that has a short battery life.

I have to wonder if all the Cheapo stores went under. I was looking forward to stopping at the one in Moorhead, MN only to find that one too was shut down. Such a pity because I found so many goodies the last time I was in there. :(

I think I'll make a trip to the St. Paul store location and see if that one is still open. I would think the Minneapolis one is still there considering the location and any time I am there the place has quite a few people. Then again, people like us live for the used cd and cannot figure out how a used cd store would close...meanwhile my buddies 18 year old boy probably doesn't know what a used CD store is.

Think about it!

Be nice George.

Think about it!

Be nice George.

ha, i was teasing mr. dom! actually it's difficulty to stop right now. i've been doing this for many years and life would be even more boring without this. but still vinyls>cds.

I think I'll make a trip to the St. Paul store location and see if that one is still open. I would think the Minneapolis one is still there considering the location and any time I am there the place has quite a few people. Then again, people like us live for the used cd and cannot figure out how a used cd store would close...meanwhile my buddies 18 year old boy probably doesn't know what a used CD store is.

The last time I was in the Moorhead store it was packed. That's why I was surprised to see it was closed. Fargo has a Disc-Go-Round but that store has always sucked for some reason and I've never found anything good there. Plus, if they do find something they consider a "gem" they try to jack up the price to some unreasonable amount and I end up arguing with some snot nosed 17 yr old about their "policy", yet they keep plugging along. My brother lives in St. Paul, I should have him run me over to that store the next time I'm up there (if that one hasn't closed also that is).

The last time I was in the Moorhead store it was packed. That's why I was surprised to see it was closed. Fargo has a Disc-Go-Round but that store has always sucked for some reason and I've never found anything good there. Plus, if they do find something they consider a "gem" they try to jack up the price to some unreasonable amount and I end up arguing with some snot nosed 17 yr old about their "policy", yet they keep plugging along. My brother lives in St. Paul, I should have him run me over to that store the next time I'm up there (if that one hasn't closed also that is).

My work is only 5 minutes from the St. Paul store so I headed over there over lunch today.

Thankfully it was alive and kicking with quite a few people.

I took a gander through the New Arrivals and found a copy of UFO's Walk On Water.

I noticed Rob Halford's Crucible for $3 but it looked beat up. They actually had copy of Dirty Looks Turn Of The Screw but it was $15 and a Columbia House issue. So nothing special found today but at least the store is still open.

Think about it!

Be nice George.

ha, i was teasing mr. dom! actually it's difficulty to stop right now. i've been doing this for many years and life would be even more boring without this. but still vinyls>cds.

:D

I actually asked the guys the last time I was in Cheapo (before today) if they knew the local band Katella but it did not ring a bell. But I'll keep an eye out.

My work is only 5 minutes from the St. Paul store so I headed over there over lunch today.

Thankfully it was alive and kicking with quite a few people.

I took a gander through the New Arrivals and found a copy of UFO's Walk On Water.

I noticed Rob Halford's Crucible for $3 but it looked beat up. They actually had copy of Dirty Looks Turn Of The Screw but it was $15 and a Columbia House issue. So nothing special found today but at least the store is still open.

They had a DL Turn Of The Screw marked at $15? Are they trying to pull that crap now also where they try to price a cd at what they consider "market value"? What's the fun in going to used cd stores if they are going to do things like that?

They had a DL Turn Of The Screw marked at $15? Are they trying to pull that crap now also where they try to price a cd at what they consider "market value"? What's the fun in going to used cd stores if they are going to do things like that?

Yep, they are now one of those stores that looks out at Amazon to see what they think the value is. They had a Helix "Deep Cuts" cd but they wanted $15 for that and it was scratched up pretty good.

Yeah.... a lot of stores are going under.

The Record & Tape Traders flagship location in Catonsville, MD moved into a new location and then closed up completely over the last few months. Also noticed the CD Warehouse in Glen Burnie, MD is gone.

Guess it doesn't pay to be in the cd selling business these days. :(

• 2 months later...

As I said before in the What did you buy Thread..

I went to F.Y.E. which was a mile down the road from where C.D. World was located. The girl who used to work at C.D. World was there. She told me that they lost the lease and they moved everything in 2 days.. F.Y.E. bought out C.D. World a couple of years ago (They also own SUNCOAST video).

While I was there, she became a little pushy on buying stuff or trying to sell me shit I didn't need.

Even though I picked up the SPRINGFIELD c.d., I couldn't find anything else saying "BUY ME!!".

As I got to the register, she looked at me and said "IS THAT IT?

I felt like saying "Hey Bitch! Times are tough!! If you had a better selection, I might have spent a little more. If you didn't try and sell me everything under the sun, I may have picked a few more out."

In all honesty, The F.Y.E. in the FREEHOLD mall has a better selection and all for $10.00 each..

I hate going to a store and feeling obligated in buying something.

Anyway!

Thanks for letting me vent..