Compact Disc World R.I.P.

Its a pity but it's a world wide thing, the record companies just don't support smaller stores anymore. All the product they sell to supermarkets at a low low low price because places like Wal Mart can afford to buy tons of stuff and get the discount, or demand the discount as their market share, profile and positioning is so strong. In turn record companies supplying to these stores are cutting their own throats because the product is almost given away to these meglagiant stores...and yet the record industry moans about losing money from downloading, they should look closer to home first as they're losing money hand over fist to them.

The only way smaller shops are going to survive is either by appealing to different niche markets that the superstores don't stock CD's by, or by diversifying slightly maybe by selling clothing (band tees e.t.c.) or musical intruments e.t.c.

Half the time they can't even buy their stock from the supplier as cheap as the supermarket is selling it on the shop floor. Plus Wal-Mart has these deals where artists release special versions in store unavailable anywhere else. Some small stores find it cheaper to buy their stock from supermarkets in some instances.

So next time your in Wal Mart or Asda and see that AC/DC album cheap ... pass it by and help out a local store keep it's head above the water....it might cost a few quid more but it'll help that little shop and help slow down big business taking over the town making it the same as every other town everywhere else and preventing choice and ultimately stifling competition....these business practices are not about a free market or consumer choice.

Having said that I'm a sucker for an on line bargain, but I have never and will never buy a CD from a supermarket - (unless someone in the U.S. gets me that copy of Reveleation by Journey....coff coff ... I forgot about that thanks W !!) ....but I also shop at my local stores (one about 8 miles away the other 17 miles or so!!!) coz all the real local ones have shut. It costs a few quid more but I can hang out for hours if I want, have a chat about music, listen to stuff before I buy and have stuff recommended.

Yes Nick has read a book about record shops and thinks he knows all about it now!! :lol:

Small shops simply can't compete with the behemoths that are Wal-Mart, Best Buy, etc. My local independently-owned music shop had to expand into selling instruments, electronics, stereos, etc. in order to stay afloat. From chatting with the owner, I know when it comes to these major new releases like AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, etc., he just purchases his stock from Wal-Mart, because his cost from his supplier is higher than Wal-Mart's final price.

I don't buy as much as I used to, but when I do, it's usually online; that said, I still try to stop in that local shop at least once a month and buy a CD (or DVD) from him, just to show some support. Somehow, for some reason, it just feels like the right thing to do.

Just tried going to ZIG ZAG Records great little store, R.I.P.

Is that the Zig Zag store on Staten Island? I used to go there quite often back in the day when I went to college out on S.I. ... sorry to hear that it's gone...

Is that the Zig Zag store on Staten Island? I used to go there quite often back in the day when I went to college out on S.I. ... sorry to hear that it's gone...

Yeah they moved to Atlantic highlands. I went buy there the other day and it was empty. Got lots of great stuff from there.

Yeah they moved to Atlantic highlands. I went buy there the other day and it was empty. Got lots of great stuff from there.

Another great one bites the dust...

I used to go there after work on a friday.. He knew his melodic rock!!!!

Here In Spain it´s the same.

A lot of second hand stores in Madrid not exist anymore, and the only one that is resisting is The Metralleta, but it´s not the same than old times (80´s, 90´s). Now there´s only 3 tables with cd´s, and very few rare cd´s of all styles (they only expose most popular items...)

The cause is mp3, of course, and maybe crisis...

bad times for us the collectors...

• 3 months later...
Did they ship it to the store in TOTOWA? (Is that store still there?).

I hope so! I haven't been to the Totowa store in ages though, so I don't know for sure. I used to work about five minutes from there so I used to take a quick trip on my lunch break once or twice a week to browse thru the used stuff. Found a LOT of great sh*t in that store.

...then three years ago they transferred me to a different office in an area completely barren of CD stores :crying:

Bump... been a while since this thread's been active, but I can now confirm that the Compact Disc World store on Rt. 46 in Totowa, NJ, is no more. The wife and I passed by there earlier today (we were on our way to a cemetery in Totowa to place flowers on a family member's grave) -- first time I've been down that way in a few years now -- and I saw the store all locked up with "FOR RENT" signs in the windows. :(

On our way back home I also noticed the Coconuts Music store that was on the same side of Rt. 46 (right before it merges with Rt. 23) is also gone and in the process of becoming a Fortunoff store. Damn! When I was still working in West Paterson (goin' back almost five years ago now) I used to score TONS of good sh*t from the used-CD bins in that Coconuts store. :crying:

... although on a positive note, it looks like the tiny-but-mighty SOUND EXCHANGE RECORDS on 23 North in Wayne is still there! :banana:

Here In Spain it´s the same.

A lot of second hand stores in Madrid not exist anymore, and the only one that is resisting is The Metralleta, but it´s not the same than old times (80´s, 90´s). Now there´s only 3 tables with cd´s, and very few rare cd´s of all styles (they only expose most popular items...)

The cause is mp3, of course, and maybe crisis...

bad times for us the collectors...

ha, i once visited avispa's cellar there and emptied it.

• 1 month later...

I live in a city of over 100,000 people and we have no CD shops ?? Use to be 6 but all gone now all there is are a couple pawn shop that only buy the newer CDS that come in !! Sucks big time !! CDS are going to be a thing of the past all will be downloads !!

I live in a city of over 100,000 people and we have no CD shops ?? Use to be 6 but all gone now all there is are a couple pawn shop that only buy the newer CDS that come in !! Sucks big time !! CDS are going to be a thing of the past all will be downloads !!

I hope not!!! :angry2:

I hope so! I haven't been to the Totowa store in ages though, so I don't know for sure. I used to work about five minutes from there so I used to take a quick trip on my lunch break once or twice a week to browse thru the used stuff. Found a LOT of great sh*t in that store.

...then three years ago they transferred me to a different office in an area completely barren of CD stores :crying:

Bump... been a while since this thread's been active, but I can now confirm that the Compact Disc World store on Rt. 46 in Totowa, NJ, is no more. The wife and I passed by there earlier today (we were on our way to a cemetery in Totowa to place flowers on a family member's grave) -- first time I've been down that way in a few years now -- and I saw the store all locked up with "FOR RENT" signs in the windows. :(

On our way back home I also noticed the Coconuts Music store that was on the same side of Rt. 46 (right before it merges with Rt. 23) is also gone and in the process of becoming a Fortunoff store. Damn! When I was still working in West Paterson (goin' back almost five years ago now) I used to score TONS of good sh*t from the used-CD bins in that Coconuts store. :crying:

... although on a positive note, it looks like the tiny-but-mighty SOUND EXCHANGE RECORDS on 23 North in Wayne is still there! :banana:

How did I miss this?

Thanks for that update Keef!! :tumbsup:

I live way too far to take that ride for nuthin'

How did I miss this?

Thanks for that update Keef!! :tumbsup:

I live way too far to take that ride for nuthin'

remember me if you find any talisman tapes there ..... :headbanger:

http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/search?q=talisman["]http://lockjaw-yappy.blogspot.com/search?q=talisman[[/url]