RIP Billy Powell

66 mustang

Lynyrd Skynyrd keyboardist dies at Florida home

Jan. 28, 2009, 12:53 PM EST

ORANGE PARK, Fla. (AP) -- A keyboardist for the southern rock band Lynyrd Skynyrd has died at his northeast Florida home.

Orange Park Police Lt. Mark Cornett says 56-year-old keyboard player Billy Powell called 911 about 12:55 a.m. Wednesday saying he was having trouble breathing. Rescue crews performed CPR, but he was pronounced dead at 1:52 a.m.

Cornett says no foul play is suspected and an autopsy will not be performed.

He says Powell missed a Tuesday appointment with his doctor for a cardiac evaluation. A heart attack is suspected.

Powell was one of two surviving band members who were with the group before a 1977 plane crash that killed three of its members.

Copyright 2009 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Horrible news, RIP Billy.

I saw these guys live in '98 and they were nothing short of excellent live.

But now from that lineup Hughie Thomason, Leon Wilkinson and now Billy Powell are dead and gone.

Those 3 along with Ronnie VanZant, Allen Collins and Steve Gaines makes in 6 Skynyrd members that have passed. I've always thought that Def Leppard and Riot were two of the most cursed bands but I'm starting to think that Lynyrd Skynyrd are by far the most cursed band in Rock N Roll history.

I heard the news earlier. I am very saddened.

RIP

I'm with you as well.....another legend from a legend band leaves us :bowdown: .....very sad news

Really really sad news. Only 56 years old which is shocking. His musical input made Skynyrd what they are, a legendary band and he will definitley be missed. I am glad I had the pleasure of seeing him live on a 2 occassions.

R.I.P Billy

this may just be the last straw for Skynyrd as a band. maybe it is time to hang up the name and call themselves something else

As much as they probably should call it a day I would be suprised to see them not continue with a replacement since Rossington and VanZant run the band.

If I understand this correct, Ronnie's widow controlls the name Lynyrd Skynyrd. I remember stories when Leon passed away that it would be up to her if they could carry on as Skynyrd because there would be less than 3 original members in the band.

I believe your right but I also thought that Rossington also had a share in the name.