Mike Lee out as Barren Cross' singer

kethdredd

Booooooooo! That sucks. :(

Checked out Barren Cross' MySpace page and found a long rambling rant from Mike Lee/Michael Drive (whatever he's calling himself this week) about his split from BC... I'm not going to copy/paste the whole thing because it was incredibly lengthy but here's a brief excerpt:

OPEN LETTER TO ALL BARREN CROSS FANS

This is Michael Drive, formerly Mike Lee, lead singer/writer for Barren Cross.

It is with regret that I have to inform all you of this.

There is a great problem that has emerged within the band, and because of this, we will no longer be together. I am very sorry about this to all of you, as it had been recently anticipated to re-unite and release a new album. I cannot make this up to you; but as God is willing, I will continue to release similar albums of my own. (For my latest album info: www.michaeldrive.com and www.myspace.com/michaeldrive1).

But concerning the BC plans, perhaps we jumped the gun before dealing with this important issue, and for that, I offer my apology.

I will tell you that Ray Parris, Jim LaVerde, and Steve Whitaker have, with one accord, chosen to separate me from their company. This, they decided over theological differences. After praying about this, I have decided to accept their decision, as I also believe that we do Not represent each other.

Now, I realize that you deserve an account of the situation so as Not to be left in the dark; but because I truly love these guys, I'm going to be very careful here, Not to slander them in any way.

Ray, Jim, and Steve have reproached me for my belief of the scriptures, as they contend that it is "not the same gospel" as they believe.

It goes on for about another million zillion paragraphs but that's pretty much the gist of it. If you want to read the rest of the rant, go to: http://www.myspace.com/barrencross and click on the "OPEN LETTER TO BARREN CROSS FANS" on the page's "blog" section.

Since Mike is apparently using the "old" MySpace page as his own page now, BC's "new" official MySpace is: http://www.myspace.com/barrencrossmusic

Looks like this could get ugly!! :unsure:

Wonder how much of this was just the usual rift of not getting along and less about 'spiritual matters'?

I dunno, Mike Lee has seemed to be rather Froot Loopy for quite a while now, maybe they just couldn't deal with his oddness any longer...

so now the tees from world tour 90 will become collectible? :lol: was believe ever released on cd? i have it only on 3 vinyl versions: blue cover/black vinyl(first version), white cover/blue vinyl, blue cover/blue vinyl(home made version :P )....it was the ep that turned me into white metal....

Wonder how much of this was just the usual rift of not getting along and less about 'spiritual matters'?

Backed...

It was easier when bands would kick someone out or split up due to the time honored "musical differences" excuse, or mundane reasons like "We got sick of him eating all the green M&M's from the backstage catering" or "He f*cked our lead singer's girlfriend so he was asked to leave"... now in the Christian metal realm they've got an added element of Spiritual warfare. :lol:

I dunno, Mike Lee has seemed to be rather Froot Loopy for quite a while now, maybe they just couldn't deal with his oddness any longer...

I read a good bit of what Mike posted on the different sites. It seems to me that he has had a very real spiritual renewal with God, and that he has developed some very strong convictions as a result of this. Reading his posts was quite convicting, actually, although I may not totally agree with his views.

I read a good bit of what Mike posted on the different sites. It seems to me that he has had a very real spiritual renewal with God, and that he has developed some very strong convictions as a result of this. Reading his posts was quite convicting, actually, although I may not totally agree with his views.

From what I've been able to gather, over the years Mike's become a little more hardcore in his interpretation of the Gospel than the other three Barren Cross members, which is what caused the friction...

I wasn't so much referring to that when I called him "Froot Loopy" by the way, I was referring more to the still-unexplained name change to "Michael Drive" and his rather, er, unusual wardrobe choices I've seen photos of lately...

I mean, c'mon... just look at THIS:

cd_one-direction_front_small.jpg

If that outfit ain't Froot Loopy I don't know what is. :lol:

From what I've been able to gather, over the years Mike's become a little more hardcore in his interpretation of the Gospel than the other three Barren Cross members, which is what caused the friction...

I wasn't so much referring to that when I called him "Froot Loopy" by the way, I was referring more to the still-unexplained name change to "Michael Drive" and his rather, er, unusual wardrobe choices I've seen photos of lately...

I mean, c'mon... just look at THIS:

cd_one-direction_front_small.jpg

If that outfit ain't Froot Loopy I don't know what is. :lol:

Hardcore is probably a good term to use to describe his beliefs.

Oh yeah, his outfits have been wild the past few years! :whistle:

After praying about this, I have decided to accept their decision

I wonder if God listens to the prayers of musicians before us regular folks. If so, that's just not fair.

:rolleyes::whistle:

• 9 years later...

It was not at all about musical differences.

I was at Michaels 50th bday party a few years back (I was once on their road crew) and he brought some lady who is strange and cultish in her appraoch to faith. When I announced our departure from the party she became very combative with me. She is definitely not biblical in her "expression of faith". One of the the other band members shared a lot of information as to the sway this strange self professed prophet lady has on Michael. 

He still affirms this same radical belief system, but is back "in the fold" of BC. I guess the sound was more important than the truth.
I had an extended "debate" with Mike over his theology once via email. When I did not respond to his efforts to turn me to his thinking he severed our relationship.

Michael's beliefs are aberrant at the very best. 

As a little legal nod to this sight, these views are my own and do not express the experience or opinions of this site (Which I am new to)

• 4 years later...

Michael's beliefs are aberrant at the very best. 

Can you provide more context?

I heard he started believing Christians should live lives that are set apart from this world unto, the Lord as in 2 Corinthians 6:17 - come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.

Many who claim to be Christians these days act just like lost sinners out in the world and don't resemble what the New Testament teaches hardly at all.

I'd be interested in hearing what specific beliefs he has that you think is not right.