Jeff Scott Soto - Beautiful Mess

JC_AOR

The new JSS album 'Beautiful Mess' is out now as a download from I-tunes. I'm not sure when the actual CD release is but I'm sure keen to own one.

I'm a huge fan of JSS and in particular his previous solo albums 'Prism' and 'Lost In Translation'. Whilst the new album has its differences from past JSS works, I think anyone who enjoys his previous solo albums will find a lot to like about 'Beautiful Mess'. One of the big differences, I think is that this new album doesn't have many ballads like his previous solo albums had. However, his voice is as strong as ever and I just love the way he mixes up hints of styles like funk, soul, blues and R&B (the classic kind) into his songs while still keeping them very much in the rock vein.

There are some brilliant songs on this album and overall it has a great solid sound. The best track for me is the modern sounding rocker 'Our Song'. I also really like 'Gin & Tonic Sky', 'Cry Me A River' and 'Broken Man'.

Overall an excellent album.

Your thoughts?

Havent heard it yet, but am very interested - is it only available as a download?

At the moment yes from I-Tunes but there are a few blogs around where you can get it from as well. I refuse to pay for a download as I'm definately going to purchase the CD when it comes out.

he mixes up hints of styles like funk, soul, blues and R&B (the classic kind) into his songs

It's a few comments like this that I have read which is why it's still sitting on my computer unheard. I will get around to putting it to disc, but I'd be lying if I said I was in any hurry.

That said, I always like his solo discs (the last 2 anyway) so this should be good... I guess?

he mixes up hints of styles like funk, soul, blues and R&B (the classic kind) into his songs

It's a few comments like this that I have read which is why it's still sitting on my computer unheard. I will get around to putting it to disc, but I'd be lying if I said I was in any hurry.

That said, I always like his solo discs (the last 2 anyway) so this should be good... I guess?

You know if I heard comparisons to funk, R&B etc being made about any other artist I'd stay well clear but I know from his past works that JSS can mix these styles with melodic rock music with amazing results. Geoff I imagine you won't be fan of every song on the album but do yourself a huge favour and listen to track 7 'Our Song'.

I love this guys work, the last TALISMAN album was bloody great. So were his two solo dics.

This needs a CD release ASAP, downloading is for EMO's. :lol:

Havent heard it yet, but am very interested - is it only available as a download?

At the moment yes from I-Tunes but there are a few blogs around where you can get it from as well. I refuse to pay for a download as I'm definately going to purchase the CD when it comes out.

I cant even see it on itunes :unsure:

I cant even see it on itunes :unsure:

Hmm can't help you there...I've never had anything to do with I-Tunes and don't ever plan too either. But I can tell you that CD Baby has the tracks for download as well - here's the link.

Ok, I love this thing.

Man, I was listening to this on the way to work this morning and ive never been so chilled out! These songs are ultra cool.

JSS also sounds absolutely fantastic on this album.

I agree that this wont be for everyone as he mixes up rock, funk, soul, just about everything...but bugger me if it doesnt work. What's more there are at least 5 or 6 KILLER songs on here.

My pics are 'Gin & Tonic Sky', 'Hey', 'Our Song' (killer - might be in my top 10 songs come year end), 'Testify' and oh my God 'Wherever You Wanna Go'...I just simply love this ballad so much it hurts.

Cheers

Ok, I love this thing.

Man, I was listening to this on the way to work this morning and ive never been so chilled out! These songs are ultra cool.

I agree that this wont be for everyone as he mixes up rock, funk, soul, just about everything...but bugger me if it doesnt work. What's more there are at least 5 or 6 KILLER songs on here.

My pics are 'Gin & Tonic Sky', 'Hey', 'Our Song' (killer - might be in my top 10 songs come year end), 'Testify' and oh my God 'Wherever You Wanna Go'...I just simply love this ballad so much it hurts.

Cheers

That's great news. How does it compare to Talisman and his last solo disc?

Ok, I love this thing.

Cheers

If youre talking LITT...completely different.

This is not a hard rock/melodic rock album.

This is a cross of rock/funk/soul. I just cant describe how well it all works tho - you have to hear really. JSS is just brill on all tracks - his voice is so versatile.

Ok, I love this thing.

Cheers

Yeah, I think "chilled out" is a pretty accurate description of this album. There's something really relaxing about listening to it. I agree 'Our Song' is absolutely killer and will rate very highly in my fav songs of this year too along with 'Gin & Tonic Sky'. I'm also starting to enjoy the tracks like 'Eye' and 'Hey' which didn't grab me on first listen.

As far as JSS solo albums go, my fav is still Prism, however, this one has a different style from his past 2 solo efforts. Superb music!

Ok, I love this thing.

Cheers

This is a cross of rock/funk/soul. I just cant describe how well it all works tho - you have to hear really. JSS is just brill on all tracks - his voice is so versatile.

Haven't heard anything off this yet, but from the descriptionsd I have read, it sounds like it is along the lines of his debut solo disc 'Love Parade' which I quite liked in places. Hopefully this will get a proper CD release.

Ok, I love this thing.

Cheers

Haven't heard anything off this yet, but from the descriptionsd I have read, it sounds like it is along the lines of his debut solo disc 'Love Parade' which I quite liked in places. Hopefully this will get a proper CD release.

Mmm not really mate. Love Parade had almost an Extreme vibe going on.

This is mostly much more laid back and much better IMO.

& as stated above there are a couple of real killers.

Cheers

Jeez, the dude just can't really fail, can he?

I wasn't so much into the first song at all but I've enjoyed all 3 of the next ones. 'Cry me a river' is very nice. As noted above, the CD is just a mellow ride of relaxation. Few could pull it off, but JSS can and does. The 4th and 5th songs are fillers, but 'Our song' is then easily the highlight of the album. Wonderful track.

The rest is mellow and solid. This isn't going to be in heavy rotation in my CD player - I admit that - but it will please JSS fans.

Ive lived with this for a week now, whilst on holiday, and I think it's a totally killer album.

Disagree that 4 & 5 are fillers. 'Hey' is so damned addictive it keeps coming back into my head every few hours! - great song. & 'Broken Man' is a great heart felt ballad.

I do agree that one of the highlights is 'Our Song', but there are at leat 5 or 6 other tracks which are just as good on repeated listens.

Top 10 album for me easily.

Just read that the hard copy should be available in Jan 09 and is being packaged with a DVD of his upcoming FF performance

Dont quote me tho.

Great news if true.

:tumbsup:

Great news if that wasn't 4 months away.... :(

sounds like its got a Stevie Salas kinda feel to it......does it?

yeah a bit of Salas maybe....even Kravitz at times.

Better than those tho for me.

Quality all the way.

Got Gin & Tonic Sky going round my head now!