CONTEST TIME!

And no, it doesn't involve any expenditure of money on your part. :lol:

Even though the HH database has continued to grow, there's still a lot of obscure (and not so obscure) CD releases, as well as EPs, etc., that have not yet been added. Even some of the larger discographies are incomplete. So it's time to rummage through your CD collections, find those releases, and submit them for inclusion the HH database! Or you don't even have to own the CDs if you can scrounge up the complete information somewhere else online...

[update: I've decided to also include submissions to the brutalmetal.com and heavensmetal.com databases in the contest; same rules apply.]

Rules (subject to modification in the event I screwed up) :whistle:

1. Contest will run through midnight central time on August 30.
  2. Every CD submission that is approved for addition to Heavy Harmonies, Brutal Metal, or Heaven's Metal will garner you a point (maximum 1 point per CD title submitted, i.e., you don't get an extra point for submitting the same CD to both HH and HM).
  3. PLEASE submit all discs through the their respective site submission pages, i.e., heavy metal over at brutalmetal.com, Christian hard rock and metal at heavensmetal.com, etc. We have the capability to route and forward discs from one site to the other, but some of the artist classification settings are different from site to site.
  4. You must put your board username, preceded by CONTEST: in the email field. If you forget, too bad...
  5. No vinyl, no cassettes, no bootlegs. Official releases only.
  6. Singles and EPs are fine as long as they are at least 4 tracks (preferably 5) in length. There may be some discretion on the part of the processor as to whether a particular single qualifies (e.g., a single that is 4 remixes of the same song is likely not to be added, but one that has 4 different tracks with 2 of them not being available on a full-length release is likely to make it). Hint: Japan-only singles and EPs tend to be chock full of tracks not released elsewhere.
  7. Submissions must be complete: year, label name, spine number (if there isn't any, please put "NONE"), members performing, track listings (if possible with the running time of each song).
  8. Do NOT resubmit CDs that are already in the HH database just because they were reissued somewhere else with a bonus track; those won't count... we add that information to the existing listings. (this also holds true for remastered reissues, different cover art, etc... the release has to be substantially different from what is already in the database...)
  9. PLEASE pay attention to the instructions on the submission form as to the formatting of the members and tracks sections; it makes our processing work so much easier if they are formatted correctly to begin with.
  10. First come, first served. If someone submits the same CD before you did, too bad. :lol:
  11. There may be some lag in processing these submissions. Don't sweat it.

There will be a "CONTEST UPDATE" thread in this forum that the other mods and I will update as we process submissions, so you can keep track of whether a submission was counted or shitcanned.

URL to add CDs: http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/submission87.cgi

Alrighty, and thanks for partici...

Oh... prizes... right!

Two sets of prizes:

1. Whomever submits the most accepted discs will win a pair of Royal Box Seat tickets to the MelodicRock.Com 10th Anniversary Concert.

2. The remaining entries will go into the hat for a drawing for a pair of Mezzanine Front Row tickets to the same event.

I will mail the tickets to the winner on or about September 7, so if it turns out you cannot go, you can always give them away, sell them, donate them to charity, dowhatchalike... of course with the impending demise of Harem Scarem, I'm not sure I'd pass up the opportunity to see them live...

Ready?... Set?... Submit!

-Dan

Damn, I take it this contest submission starts now going forward not for what we've already done so far this year?

Correctamundo.

Also, please bear with me as I'm redoing the rating system on the main site. Should be back up later today...

-Dan

I must still be missing something because I see too many glaring omissions. For example, Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Therion, Epica and Iced Earth all seem to be missing. Is metal excluded?

European-style "power metal", thrash, death metal, gothic metal, etc. are NOT included at Heavy Harmonies. Too heavy. They are perfect for inclusion at www.brutalmetal.com, but submissions to that site and HeavensMetal.com are not included in this contest... although I suppose I could add them to the mix... it would open up the contest to more people and give more options for submissions, since there are WAY more holes at BM and HM. Let me run it by the other moderators and see what they think.

-Dan

Once you've been here a while you'll figure out where the lines are :) They're pretty gray for newbies, but they get clearer

Well, there's a link on every page of the main site, entitled "Music Genres at HH" that goes a bit more in depth as to what is included and what is not:

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/genre.cgi

Hopefully that makes it clearer...

-Dan

Thanks, that genre link helps some. I'm still puzzled why that sentence says "heavy metal" though.

Click on a flag icon to see a list of all of the hard rock, AOR, and heavy metal bands and musicians here at Heavy Harmonies from that country.

Well, there's a link on every page of the main site, entitled "Music Genres at HH" that goes a bit more in depth as to what is included and what is not:

http://www.heavyharmonies.com/cgi-bin/genre.cgi

Hopefully that makes it clearer...

-Dan

I think what he was referring to was personal opinions as to what genra a band is. You may say it's glam, the next guy says sleaze and I may say just plain hard rock, etc... Heavy metal often crosses with melodic metal, which some people deem power or thrash metal... :angry: I had a decent description typed out one time, but I'll be damed if I could find it

HA! Finally Found it.....

Here's the thread:

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1942

Here was my opinion on the matter

You can usually tell by how prominant the keyboards are. AOR has ALOT of keyboard usage and very well thought out harmonies as where Hard Rock concentrates more on guitars. It can still have somewhat an AOR sound to it, but the guitar work is more prominant than the keys. Metal sounds more aggressive and has faster guitars and very little if any keyboard usage.

Many bands will cross over into other styles once in a while, but by the majority of their music is what they're catagorized by.

Judas Priest and Accept would be considered Metal, sometimes even Melodic Metal by the way the vocalist sings, but on some of the later 80's albums such as Judas Priest's Turbo, they had a few keyboards and somewhat crossed into the hard rock catagory.

Journey has always had alot of keyboard usage and they are the classic AOR band. They could also be put into Hard Rock by a few of their tunes because the keys get buried in the guitar mix.

Bon Jovi is a classic example of an AOR/Hard Rock band that started going more mainstream Hard rock by the end of the 80's. They keys were big on the early tunes, but then faded and the guitar was more emphasized.

Bands like Poison, Pretty Boy Floyd, Hanoi Rocks and Warrant were typical Glam or "Hair Band" because of the pretty boy "image" and the fact that they had more make up on than most of the women at their shows. Image was more important than the way they played music and itcan sound a little sloppy at times, but at least they looked good. Warrant and Poison later went into more of the Hard Rock catagory where as Hanoi Rocks and Pretty Boy Floyd still stayed in the Glam or Sleaze Glam area. Guns N Roses may also be in the Sleaze Galm catagory as well as the Hard Rock catagory.

Bands such as Ratt, Motley Crue, Dokken, Ozzy Osbourne, and Keel were straight forward Hard Rock because even though Image was a big part, they also made sure the music sounded good.

Bands like Queensryche would be considered Melodic rock or Melodic Metal because of their more complex approach to the hard rock style of music.

Bands such as Dream Theater, Symphony X and Rush are pure Progressive because of the intricate guitar work and bass lines. Most progressive artists concentrate on their technique and perfection of the instrument as well as the vocalist.

One band that I find it hard to catagorize is Wasp. They are Shock Rock by their stage show, and somewhere between Melodic Metal, Heavy Metal and Hard Rock by music style. ;)

Lite AOR is basically regular AOR minus the guitar work. It's more keyboard driven music and are smoother sounding songs. I'd put bands such as Air Supply, Steve Perry's solo material, Michael Bolton and 10CC into this catagory.

Then there's your basic Hard Rock/Rock N Rollers that pull out the bullshit and just play. Bands such as AC/DC, Jackyl and London Quiorboys fit here well.

Take it as you will. Hope this helps :)

Thanks, that genre link helps some. I'm still puzzled why that sentence says "heavy metal" though.

Click on a flag icon to see a list of all of the hard rock, AOR, and heavy metal bands and musicians here at Heavy Harmonies from that country.

Ok, I've changed it to "hard rock, AOR, and melodic metal bands and..."

Better?

Also, submissions to all 3 sites will count towards the contest (only 1 point per CD title though... if you submit a Christian hard rock to heavyharmonies.com you don't then also get a point for it being added to heavensmetal.com).

For the "heavier-inclined" folks, this now opens the doors to plenty of points, as there's LOTS of stuff lacking in the brutalmetal.com database...

-Dan

Ok, I've changed it to "hard rock, AOR, and melodic metal bands and..."

Better?

Also, submissions to all 3 sites will count towards the contest (only 1 point per CD title though... if you submit a Christian hard rock to heavyharmonies.com you don't then also get a point for it being added to heavensmetal.com).

For the "heavier-inclined" folks, this now opens the doors to plenty of points, as there's LOTS of stuff lacking in the brutalmetal.com database...

-Dan

Cool...Thanks Dan!!!!

One thing I forgot to mention, and I'll also update the original post:

PLEASE submit all discs through the their respective site submission pages, i.e., heavy metal over at brutalmetal.com, Christian hard rock and metal at heavensmetal.com, etc. We have the capability to route and forward discs from one site to the other, but some of the artist classification settings are different from site to site.

Thanks!

-Dan

Should we wait to submit covers until we know what we have submitted as been accepted ?

Yeah, that's what I'd recommend. Unless of course it's a new entry for an artist that already exists on the site; ..those pics. will always be accepted.

...Tim

Should we wait to submit covers until we know what we have submitted as been accepted ?

Yeah, that's what I'd recommend. Unless of course it's a new entry for an artist that already exists on the site; ..those pics. will always be accepted.

...Tim

Okay...Thanks for the Info..

A stupid question here but how do you tell who/whom has submitted a CD...

Here is the answer:

[*]You must put your board username, preceded by CONTEST: in the email field. If you forget, too bad...