Yikes!

Fat Freddy

Last night my wife and I narrowly avoided a catastrophe involving our CD storage tower. The tower we have is a tall, four sided rotating shelf unit that holds all of our CDs (well, mostly "my" CDs cuz I'm the bigtime music collector/geek in this house, my wife hardly has any), all of our DVDs and a good hunk of our VHS tape collection. When we were childless newlyweds, this rack seemed like it would be perfect for all of our entertainment storage needs for a very long time. If it were packed solid with CDs it would hold about 1000 discs, and since I only had about half that many at the time I figured I was set for the rest of my life. But since our son is almost four years old now and he tends to run around like a maniac a lot we'd already begun to think about replacing it with another cabinet. The rack we have is about six feet tall and if you walk past it too quickly or stomp too hard (two things that small children do a lot) we'd noticed it would wobble slightly so of course our main concern was "Geez, what if he grabs hold of that thing and pulls it the wrong way..."

Anyway, last night my son was upstairs playing with our dog (a big, dumb lovable Golden Retriever who weighs about 90 lbs.) and the dog got excited and started racing up and down the stairs (as dogs will sometimes do for no apparent reason). When he hit the bottom of the stairs on his third or fourth pass, he decided to go running into the living room and jump on my wife, who was sitting watching TV. He lost his balance and -- you guessed it -- barrelled right into the CD tower, which suddenly leaned over like the Tower of Pisa. My wife ran to grab it before it fell all the way over, and by the time I made it downstairs there were CDs, videos, and DVDs literally all over the room. My wife saved it from falling all the way over (and thus saved my dog from getting squished) but the look in her eyes told me "That's it, this thing's time has come."

Long story short, it took me over an hour to get all the CDs and videos picked up, re-alphabetized and put back on their shelves, and we ordered a new, smaller, less intimidating storage cabinet for the CDs within fifteen minutes of the incident.

Those of you with dogs and/or small children may want to take a closer look at whatever storage unit you're using for your collections and make sure it's stable enough to survive such a collision!!

Here ends my Public Service Announcement for today.... :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe it was intentional ? Maybe your dog don't like your CDs....

Must have seen the Faster Pussycat cds huh? I know it was the Cats in Boots that drove him to it.

Last night my wife and I narrowly avoided a catastrophe involving our CD storage tower. The tower we have is a tall, four sided rotating shelf unit that holds all of our CDs (well, mostly "my" CDs cuz I'm the bigtime music collector/geek in this house, my wife hardly has any), all of our DVDs and a good hunk of our VHS tape collection. When we were childless newlyweds, this rack seemed like it would be perfect for all of our entertainment storage needs for a very long time. If it were packed solid with CDs it would hold about 1000 discs, and since I only had about half that many at the time I figured I was set for the rest of my life. But since our son is almost four years old now and he tends to run around like a maniac a lot we'd already begun to think about replacing it with another cabinet. The rack we have is about six feet tall and if you walk past it too quickly or stomp too hard (two things that small children do a lot) we'd noticed it would wobble slightly so of course our main concern was "Geez, what if he grabs hold of that thing and pulls it the wrong way..."

Anyway, last night my son was upstairs playing with our dog (a big, dumb lovable Golden Retriever who weighs about 90 lbs.) and the dog got excited and started racing up and down the stairs (as dogs will sometimes do for no apparent reason). When he hit the bottom of the stairs on his third or fourth pass, he decided to go running into the living room and jump on my wife, who was sitting watching TV. He lost his balance and -- you guessed it -- barrelled right into the CD tower, which suddenly leaned over like the Tower of Pisa. My wife ran to grab it before it fell all the way over, and by the time I made it downstairs there were CDs, videos, and DVDs literally all over the room. My wife saved it from falling all the way over (and thus saved my dog from getting squished) but the look in her eyes told me "That's it, this thing's time has come."

Long story short, it took me over an hour to get all the CDs and videos picked up, re-alphabetized and put back on their shelves, and we ordered a new, smaller, less intimidating storage cabinet for the CDs within fifteen minutes of the incident.

Those of you with dogs and/or small children may want to take a closer look at whatever storage unit you're using for your collections and make sure it's stable enough to survive such a collision!!

Sorry about your almost castatrophe! Good luck with the new cabinet! :christmas:

oh, nice avatar there rob

Yes very nice ! Who's this lovely Madame ?

@ Fat Freddy : Use this kind of storage for your CDs and DVDs and your dog don't causes anymore trouble in your collection :

image118291153836185830cu3.jpg

Maybe it was intentional ? Maybe your dog don't like your CDs....

Hahaha, I hardly ever play CDs around the house so that couldn't be it.. unless the dog is jealous of all the love and attention I lavish on my CD collection instead of on him? :)

@ Fat Freddy : Use this kind of storage for your CDs and DVDs and your dog don't causes anymore trouble in your collection :

Looks great but it also looks like I would need to take up one entire wall of my house to use this kind of set up, and somehow I think my wife would object just a little... wouldn't exactly fit into her design scheme...

Is that your collection in the photo, Faust? If so...WOW! I'm impressed. :tumbsup:

Is that your collection in the photo, Faust? If so...WOW! I'm impressed. :tumbsup:

Yes it's a part of my collection... It take an entire wall. It's my "treasure room" where's is located my computer, Hi-fi gear, and DVD/CDs haha ! I'm the only one to have the key ! :)

Yes it's a part of my collection... It take an entire wall. It's my "treasure room" where's is located my computer and DVD/CDs haha ! I'm the only one to have the key ! :)

Great idea. Looks like I need to add a new room onto my house so I can do the same!! :tumbsup:

Great idea. Looks like I need to add a new room onto my house so I can do the same!! :tumbsup:

Yes mate, it's great to make his own room ! No pets allowed, no kids, sometimes my girlfriend if she don't touch CDs and Hi-fi !!!! hahahaha !!!

Yes mate, it's great to make his own room ! No pets allowed, no kids, sometimes my girlfriend if she don't touch CDs and Hi-fi !!!! hahahaha !!!

Sounds great... all you need is a mini-fridge to store your beer (or other favorite alcohol beverage)! I'd never want to leave that room! :)

Sounds great... all you need is a mini-fridge to store your beer (or other favorite alcohol beverage)! I'd never want to leave that room! :)

Yeah mate you need a mini-fridge for sure... It's a kind of bunker !

Unfortunately for me, I just re-modeled my house last year and a "guy room" like that didn't make it past the planning/daydreaming phase. :( Sigh. Oh well...

Unfortunately for me, I just re-modeled my house last year and a "guy room" like that didn't make it past the planning/daydreaming phase. :( Sigh. Oh well...

I know, for me it's possible because I'm not married and don't have kids yet...

yeah ..very nice

Im sure that setup wasnt cheap either ... but i'm sure it is well worth the money .

It's a very useful purchase to store its CDs... Especially if you are a CD maniac (and I guess all of HH boarders are CDs maniacs :) )

Very nice! Man how cool would that be to walk into my computer room and have my cd collection make up an entire wall! I wish I was good at...carpentering...carpentry...cd wall building.

• 2023 Gold Donors

It's nice to know that ya didn't relocate 'em (the dog, of course) to the 'doghouse' ;) or that ya didn't shave his head, either (like a mohawk or somethin, not to give ya any idea's)! Did ya give the wife a HUGE huggy, FF? She made an almost olympic effort (a possible 8 out of 10?) to save those golden music/video memories from a possible uncertain amount of damage. I would say she deserves, um, like a great dinner, maybe some excellent wine & a BIG rose, IMO! :) Even tho "the time as come" hopefully there won't be a repeat. I know I woud be freakin' out a little if somethin' like that happened to some of my music/video collections, although I don't have a dog. :drink:

Hopefully my replacement CD storage unit will be arriving today or tomorrow. Not looking forward to taking the old one down and re-organizing everything into the new one however. Unfortunately, my new set up will not be anywhere as cool as Faust's ... but at least it should be dog-and-child safe! :)

Aaaaaand nope, no new CD storage unit was delivered today. :( That's just the way this week has gone for me. Hopefully the friendly UPS man will visit me tomorrow so I can get this chore over with!!

Badoink! The new CD cabinet arrived yesterday. The wife and I put it together last night, which was a comedy of errors, because of course the instructions were about as useful as tits on a bull. I know they make these things in China but can't SOMEBODY write out the assembly instructions in plain English instead of using confusing pictographs? Jeez. Anyway, right now it's sitting in a corner till the wife and I figure out where to place it in the room, after which the old tower will be emptied out & removed and all the CDs will be re-stocked in the new cabinet. I'm not exactly looking forward to that chore, but it's all in the name of safety and family harmony....

Yes very nice ! Who's this lovely Madame ?

Wow great collection. I'm kind of jealous.

Wow great collection. I'm kind of jealous.

Thank you

:drink:

• 2023 Gold Donors
Badoink! The new CD cabinet arrived yesterday. The wife and I put it together last night, which was a comedy of errors, because of course the instructions were about as useful as tits on a bull. I know they make these things in China but can't SOMEBODY write out the assembly instructions in plain English instead of using confusing pictographs? Jeez. Anyway, right now it's sitting in a corner till the wife and I figure out where to place it in the room, after which the old tower will be emptied out & removed and all the CDs will be re-stocked in the new cabinet. I'm not exactly looking forward to that chore, but it's all in the name of safety and family harmony....

Cool! Tis true with most instructions these days. Reminds me of some of the 'headlines' on the Tonight Show that are done by foreign companies where something or more gets lost in the translation...some of them are quite funny/weird. Does the dog get the old tower? Is he allowed in the room with the new one & what are the new(?) ground rules for all nearest the 'new' tower? ;):drink::whistle: