Celtic Frost

rob62972

I know there has to be some Celtic Frost fans here. I just came across Celtic Frost's "Vanity/Nemesis". I was blown away. This kicks some serious ass!! :banger:

What else in this bands catalog I should go get?!

I'm not a huge C.F. fan but I think I can tell ya it's pretty much all good except for COLD LAKE. Start with MORBID TALES and go from there...

I have heard one track off the new CF album "MONOTHEIST" called "Ground" and it sounds quite good, just haven't gotten around to buying the CD yet....

I'm not a huge C.F. fan but I think I can tell ya it's pretty much all good except for COLD LAKE. Start with MORBID TALES and go from there...

I have heard one track off the new CF album "MONOTHEIST" called "Ground" and it sounds quite good, just haven't gotten around to buying the CD yet....

Hmmm... a new CF cd? I know I'll have to go get that! Thanks for the info. :drink:

I started with "Cold Lake" so the other stuff in their catalogue I've bought has been a pleasant surprise. IMO "Vanity/Nemesis" is their best work, but I don't have the newie yet...

I love COLD LAKE, it is the most sincere piece of music Tom Fischer wrote, ever. They rejected it later of course, which is very epithome of what CF really was - an poseur image.

The new album is horrible, I'd pass on it, unless you're a Rob Zombie fan.

I love COLD LAKE, it is the most sincere piece of music Tom Fischer wrote, ever. They rejected it later of course, which is very epithome of what CF really was - an poseur image.

The new album is horrible, I'd pass on it, unless you're a Rob Zombie fan.

I agree. I like Cold Lake. Shame they disowned it.

If anyone's interested, I have the Morbid Tales/Emperor's Return 17-track digipack (tough to find; includes Hellhammer's Apocalyptic Raids EP) on my sale list.

-Dan

Ages ago, when I started listening to hard rock I bought both 'Cold lake' and 'Vanity/Nemesis'... it was so long agao I barely remember, because I sold both, but I definately didn't like either. I thought 'Cold lake' sounded really week and forced, and the vocals didn't match the mood... plus I didn't dig it musically either. I remember the 'Vanity/Nemesis' one being ballsier and a heavier listen, but it just wasn't my thing. Probably a cool band for what they are, but definately not my kinda thing. :)

new album is horrible, I'd pass on it, unless you're a Rob Zombie fan.

I didn't detect much Rob Z. in the one Monotheist track I heard ("Ground") but I will confess that when I heard Tom's track on the PROBOT CD in 2004 I thought "Damn, he sounds like a Rob Zombie imitator." I was hoping to hear some of his classic old-school "death grunts" (cuz nobody could go "UNNNGGGGHH!" like Tom Gabriel Warrior Fischer) but that track was a big disappointment. It's the only song on the Probot disc that I don't like.

To give the uninitiated an idea of how out-of-left field the COLD LAKE album was, here are two C.F. videos from YouTube (yea, I know, we're all going nuts with the YouTube links lately, and there's a whole thread for these, but I am posting them here for demonstration's sake.)

This first one is for their thrash classic "Circle of The Tyrants" off of one of their early '80s albums (I'm not sure which one and I'm too lazy to go look it up right now)

Now here is the video for 1988's "Cherry Orchards" off of COLD LAKE. You can see how fans of the old C.F. stuff didn't exactly welcome this material with open arms: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAdiTFst9-w

I leave it up to each individual viewer to decide which version of C.F. they like better. I guess the average Heavy Harmonies visitor would probably prefer the "Cherry Orchards" material and the Brutal Metal crowd would rather hear "Circle of the Tyrants," although truthfully I kinda like'em both... :crazy:

My brother, who's an old school Celtic Frost fan from back in the old days, picked up their new MONOTHEIST CD over the weekend, and his review to me was short and sweet: "IT SUCKS"

Make of that what you will

My brother, who's an old school Celtic Frost fan from back in the old days, picked up their new MONOTHEIST CD over the weekend, and his review to me was short and sweet: "IT SUCKS"

Yep, I picked up a copy in my local HMV store yesterday lunchtime and took it to the listening post & it sounds bloody awful. I know you should never judge an album from the first flick-through, but it sounded a mess....

Yep, I picked up a copy in my local HMV store yesterday lunchtime and took it to the listening post & it sounds bloody awful. I know you should never judge an album from the first flick-through, but it sounded a mess....

I've only heard one song ("Ground") via an MP3 on Century Media's web site and it sounded OK, but then my bro was always the bigger C.F. fan in the family so I'd take his word for it. On the other hand, if he hates the CD so much, maybe he'll give me his copy and I can make up my own mind. :)

Into the Pandemonium is my fave...Mexican Radio..gotta love it!!

Arrrgh, "Mexican Radio!" Now I'm gonna have that damn song stuck in my head for the rest of the day... thanks a LOT Metalhead!

I have ,To mega therion and Into the Pandemonium,in my collection an a love them both,but i'd have to admit that u need to be in the right mood to listen to Celtic Frost. :headbanger:

Arrrgh, "Mexican Radio!" Now I'm gonna have that damn song stuck in my head for the rest of the day... thanks a LOT Metalhead!

ahahaha I'm sorry...I was listening to it this weekend and it has been stuck in my

ear since then...cool song though!! :headbanger:

ahahaha I'm sorry...I was listening to it this weekend and it has been stuck in my

ear since then...cool song though!! :headbanger:

I always liked the video for the original song (by Wall Of Voodoo) where the guy's head pops out of the pot of beans on the stove... "I'm on-a Mexican radiooooo...."

Damn, I'm gonna have to YouTube that frickin' video now ain't I? Maybe that'll get the song outta my head

• 3 years later...