Poll - Favorite Retrospect Release so far....

Favorite Retrospect Release so far....  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If Craig feels like he's been 'shafted' by Retrospect then why hasn't he contacted us?

It's a bit hard to feel shafted when he never actually knew.

And please note, I haven't mentioned any names... and although Dan has mentioned Craig in this discussion, you should not assume that any of these opinions are his. I know where he stands on the matter but it is not my role to put forward his opinion, i was just responding to the statement you put forward as I believed it was incorrect.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dan has someone just turned a light on?

Hasn't this been the story since day one?

And you just didn't want to believe it?

Plese go back and read all the threads from the past year. This IS how this busness works. It doesn't have to be Sam it's the nature of the beast. This is what I have posted in the past and I am glad (VERY HAPPY) you can see it as truth

THANK YOU AGAIN. You all really made my day!

It's a bit hard to feel shafted when he never actually knew.

And please note, I haven't mentioned any names... and although Dan has mentioned Craig in this discussion, you should not assume that any of these opinions are his. I know where he stands on the matter but it is not my role to put forward his opinion, i was just responding to the statement you put forward as I believed it was incorrect.

And also to clarify, I never said nor implied that "Craig felt shafted", those were Sam's words.

I only said that Craig was not being paid.

-Dan

If Craig feels like he's been 'shafted' by Retrospect then why hasn't he contacted us?

Sam, if you cannot see how utterly twisted this logic is, any further discussion is fruitless.

You're implying that as long as whomever owns the legal rights to the material you're "reissuing" doesn't contact you, everything is fine and dandy. In other words, release whatever you want whenever you want, and *IF* anyone complains, then you'll worry about paying people their fair share... as opposed to getting a legal contract in advance from the parties who own the rights. It's somehow THEIR obligation to come find you rather than YOU contacting them to legally reissue material.

It's a play on the old adage "it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission" but completely and utterly warped.

-Dan

The only thing I am implying Dan is if Craig isn't getting his fair share of the royalties then he should contact us. How simple can that be?

I didn't see you going off on MTM ( a real 'respected' label right?) when Mark Gendel hadn't been contacted about the RPM re-issue.

If you don't like the way we do business , tough.

It works for us and it works for the artists.

That's what matters.

The only thing I am implying Dan is if Craig isn't getting his fair share of the royalties then he should contact us. How simple can that be?

I didn't see you going off on MTM ( a real 'respected' label right?) when Mark Gendel hadn't been contacted about the RPM re-issue.

If you don't like the way we do business , tough.

It works for us and it works for the artists.

That's what matters.

But your missing my point:

*AFTER* your CD-R merchandise is out on the market and is being sold, he should contact you for his fair share? (forget about his right to approve or deny the reissue to begin with!)

What if he doesn't like the quality of your reissue?

What if he wanted to reissue it himself or through another label?

Too late, it's already been bootlegged!

-Dan

P.S. Purely hypotheticals here. I don't want anyone to assume I'm speaking for them...

"*AFTER* your CD-R merchandise is out on the market and is being sold, he should contact you for his fair share? (forget about his right to approve or deny the reissue to begin with!)"

If he isn't getting paid then yes he should contact us.

"What if he doesn't like the quality of your reissue?"

Then we will stop selling and re-print a new one.

"What if he wanted to reissue it himself or through another label?"

Then he can.

Maybe this should be another thread

HOW THE RE-ISSUE BUSNESS WORKS (rock, metal,psych, prog) Vinyl or CD's

1) Find a band you want to put out (Something you think you can make money from$$$)

2) Spend a small amount of time trying to find out who owns the rights.

3) Try and work out a deal the CORRECT PARTY.

4) If the CORRECT PARTY is not found but you do find someone in the band then make a deal with them (this always makes you feel like your doing the right thing)

5) If you cant find anyone but think you can sell then PUT IT OUT ANYWAY(50 - 100 copies).

6) If the CORRECT PARTY shows up after the release, try and work out a deal.

7) If no deal can be made stop selling the CD to the public and SAY your done.

8) Then dump the copies overseas to another BOOTLEGGER in trade.

9) Sell the newly obtained CDR's to make up whatever money you have in the first CDR's

10) IF the CD sells very well AND the CORRECT PARTY contacts you then sign a deal to put it out LEGIT (silver press 1000 copies) you have already made enough money from the first 100 that you have no new investment.

"it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission"

And when you only did 50-100 in the first place and the COPRRECT PARTY REFUSES

"you cant get blood from a stone" what are they going to do. Real BMI royalties are pennies

Well over 50 posts, nearly 800 views, and yet only 16 votes. I guess many HH members aren't to interested in those bands.

Well over 50 posts, nearly 800 views, and yet only 16 votes. I guess many HH members aren't to interested in those bands.

Gosh Zac , I wonder how we have sold thousands of units and yet the HH crowd doesn't buy them?

How can that be?

I mean , the HH crowd is the pinnacle of the AOR community!!

How can we possibly be successful without HH support? :anon:

Might as well just pack it in now.... :rofl2:

The majority of HH members own a Retrospect release.....let's face it.

Guest cerebus

A few comments:

(1) So basically, if no "shafted" band members come forward for their share, you keep it? Sounds like your hoping no one comes forward... What are you doing to find these people out?

(2) Why aren't some of the "other" retrospect released on the website? For instance, you sell London's Don't Cry Wolf in each auction, but haven't carried it on your website. Also, your auction does not list it as a Retrospect Records release as it does other CDs, but the CD does indeed indicate it is a Retrospect Records release... (I know, I got screwed when I bought it)

(3) Why was the Terra cd pulled?

(4) Why are you the only seller that has "new reissue" versions of Hurricane Take What You Want and Trash Broadway on your auctions.

(5) Bootlegging hurts the industry. You may see it as getting the music to the fans, but lets be honest here, your preventing those bands whom youve stolen from issuing the cds themselves or in the manner they see fit. Some cds may not see proper reissue because youve essentially stolen their product for your own profit.

(6) Some of your RR cds sell for under 5 dollars on auction. Some less than 3 bucks. How are band members making money on those?

(7) How do bands feel about getting a whopping 600 bucks for a one time reissue of 100 copies? Split four ways, your giving each band member 150 dollars?

Gosh Zac , I wonder how we have sold thousands of units and yet the HH crowd doesn't buy them?

How can that be?

If HH members are of so little importance to you or to RR, why haven't left the board for more than 5 minutes in the past week. You are brutal at covering up your worries, If we mean nothing to you, than take a hike and ignore our opinions. If you never showed up again on HH, I probably would never mention the words RR, CD-R, bootleg and knock off again.

I can feel the tension building and the name calling about to burst out of my computer screen. I'll save you the work, ''I'm just a jealous prick, who wants to be big like you and I should lick my own balls''...blah!, blah!, blah! Sounds about right from what I've read in the past threads.

How can that be?

If HH members are of so little importance to you or to RR, why haven't left the board for more than 5 minutes in the past week. You are brutal at covering up your worries, If we mean nothing to you, than take a hike and ignore our opinions. If you never showed up again on HH, I probably would never mention the words RR, CD-R, bootleg and knock off again.

I can feel the tension building and the name calling about to burst out of my computer screen. I'll save you the work, ''I'm just a jealous prick, who wants to be big like you and I should lick my own balls''...blah!, blah!, blah! Sounds about right from what I've read in the past threads.

This is the RR forum so if I want to advertise new releases here then I will do it.

It's only HH members like you that are of little importance to me.

You are an extremely minor seller on ebay and you have no brains when it comes to business.

That's what I think about you Zac.

Accept it.

So if I start selling CD-R's and selling Russian boots then will I graduate from the Vegascd's School of Business. I need that diploma.

More proof (like you need it) that Sam sells BOOTLEGS.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BRIAN-MCDONALD-GROUP-C...1QQcmdZViewItem

Apparently, the words Import and Bootleg are interchangeable in Sammy's twisted universe. The REAL deal was the Sony Rewind pressing. I don't see that here. I will be contacting eBay's VERO program shortly.

I wouldn't be calling Dave an "extremely minor seller" when 1. you don't see half the CDs Dave sells (because many are private transactions, off eBay) and 2. the original indie CDs he finds this year will be the Retrospect titles that wind up on green-coated CDRs in 2007.

We're one step ahead of you, Sam. Always have been, always will be.

(1) So basically, if no "shafted" band members come forward for their share, you keep it? Sounds like your hoping no one comes forward... What are you doing to find these people out?

I don't keep it. The band member who has the contract with us keeps it.

(2) Why aren't some of the "other" retrospect released on the website? For instance, you sell London's Don't Cry Wolf in each auction, but haven't carried it on your website. Also, your auction does not list it as a Retrospect Records release as it does other CDs, but the CD does indeed indicate it is a Retrospect Records release... (I know, I got screwed when I bought it)

If you got 'screwed' why not ask for a refund? London is doing much better at auction than it would on the site.

(3) Why was the Terra cd pulled?

I guess if that was your business I'd tell you.

(4) Why are you the only seller that has "new reissue" versions of Hurricane Take What You Want and Trash Broadway on your auctions.

They are original cd's , not re-issues.

(5) Bootlegging hurts the industry. You may see it as getting the music to the fans, but lets be honest here, your preventing those bands whom youve stolen from issuing the cds themselves or in the manner they see fit. Some cds may not see proper reissue because youve essentially stolen their product for your own profit.

I disagree. I work FOR the bands , not against them.

(6) Some of your RR cds sell for under 5 dollars on auction. Some less than 3 bucks. How are band members making money on those?

They still get their percentage , again, how RR does its business is certainly no concern of yours - and if it is....tough shit.

(7) How do bands feel about getting a whopping 600 bucks for a one time reissue of 100 copies? Split four ways, your giving each band member 150 dollars?

Well , it's more than they had before the re-issue , isn't it? The bands care more for the music being out in the world again , rather than the money they are going to get. Amazing isn't it? How THE MUSIC matters. What a concept.

Ask Mark Gendel from RPM how he felt about getting ZIPPO from MTM when they sold 2500 copies of their debut album. Want his email address?

Ask Ron Keel how he feels right now about Ryan not paying him ANY royalties for The Right To Rock , Ironhorse or that girl band he put together in 1990 with him singing.

Ask Terry Ilous how he feels about not getting ANY royalties out of MTM for "Letter To God"

Ask Riot how they feel about not getting ANY royalties for the last 5 Riot albums from Metal Blade.

Ask Steve Plocicca how he feels about not seeing ANY royalties from Mike Varney for ANY of the 3 Apocrypha albums EVER. They have sold over 100,000 copies worldwide.

Shall I continue?

If a re-issue sells well they get a second pressing (e.g. Defcon)

If you think I am going to blow $1000+ on a band that about 50 people have heard of from 1988 then you're just plain ignorant , not to mention you would be terrible at running a business.

Things are going just fine here at RR. Thanks.

Maybe this should be another thread

HOW THE RE-ISSUE BUSNESS WORKS (rock, metal,psych, prog) Vinyl or CD's

1) Find a band you want to put out (Something you think you can make money from$$$)

2) Spend a small amount of time trying to find out who owns the rights.

3) Try and work out a deal the CORRECT PARTY.

4) If the CORRECT PARTY is not found but you do find someone in the band then make a deal with them (this always makes you feel like your doing the right thing)

5) If you cant find anyone but think you can sell then PUT IT OUT ANYWAY(50 - 100 copies).

6) If the CORRECT PARTY shows up after the release, try and work out a deal.

7) If no deal can be made stop selling the CD to the public and SAY your done.

8) Then dump the copies overseas to another BOOTLEGGER in trade.

9) Sell the newly obtained CDR's to make up whatever money you have in the first CDR's

10) IF the CD sells very well AND the CORRECT PARTY contacts you then sign a deal to put it out LEGIT (silver press 1000 copies) you have already made enough money from the first 100 that you have no new investment.

"it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission"

And when you only did 50-100 in the first place and the COPRRECT PARTY REFUSES

"you cant get blood from a stone" what are they going to do. Real BMI royalties are pennies

Sad thing is, I would bet my next paycheck that this is *EXACTLY* what happens in many instances... :whistle:

I was wondering when Tony's ugly jealous head would appear. Another insignificant seller from the great white north. Since vegascds and Retrospect Records are 2 separate entities you can take his post down Dan and move it elsewhere.

Tony , you'll never be able to compete with the big boys.

Take a hike.

Guest cerebus

If you think I am going to blow $1000+ on a band that about 50 people have heard of from 1988 then you're just plain ignorant , not to mention you would be terrible at running a business.

So... your 100 limited edition cd pressings arent really limited to 100? You'll just keep pressing cds and misslead your buyers into thinking that they are buying a 1 out of 100 limited pressed cd?

I beg to differ on your Hurricane and Trash Broadway issues. I have seen the originals, and I have seen the ones you sell, and they are clearly bootlegs.

Guest cerebus

So... your 100 limited edition cd pressings arent really limited to 100? You'll just keep pressing cds and misslead your buyers into thinking that they are buying a 1 out of 100 limited pressed cd?

I beg to differ on your Hurricane and Trash Broadway issues. I have seen the originals, and I have seen the ones you sell, and they are clearly bootlegs.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.