First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Yoso - Elements

Yoso is Bobby Kimball (Toto), Billy Sherwood (World Trade, Yes) Tony Kaye (Yes) new project. If 90125 era Yes crossed with a little Toto and Hi-tech AOR is your thing, then this is a definite must. There are some really consistently good songs on here, although my one little concern would be that it lacks the one real killer knockout track. It is still a very enjoyable album throughout though and alot better than some of the stuff that is being peddled around under the AOR banner at the moment. Good, crisp production on this one too and Bobby K sounds great aswell to round it all off. The bonus live disc is a nice little present, featuring a few Toto and Yes tracks, aswell as asprinkling of Yoso songs, recorded live by the band last year I think it was. Overall a very nice little package and one I will get plenty of more enjoyment out of.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kottak - 'Rock n' roll forever' ; surprisingly good album. I really expected absolutely nothing from this, assuming it'd be like the Kulick trainwreck from earlier in the year... but it was not to be. What we have instead is a great collection of super catchy modern tinted melodic rock. Thumbs up for sure.

Lizhard - s/t ; not too bad overall, despite some definite hiccups. Another one of those bands that sound pretty bland when they "rock", but the ballads and more commercial numbers really aren't bad at all. A bit of variety on this disc, and not too bad in places.

Lynx - 'Caught in the trap' ; I don't know what year this is from but man it sounds old. Some of it just sounds too dated and 70's-ish, and I'm just not into it. But there were a couple of tunes here that were worth a listen. Certainly not essential, though.

Lynx - s/t (the AOR one) ; very nice, smooth collection of melodic rock/AOR tunes. Good stuff.

Lynx - s/t (the foreign non-AOR one) ; pretty terrible in every aspect. There was maybe one keeper on here, the rest was bad hard rock.

Maxx Dolls - s/t ; not too bad. Decent EP with some worthy tunes on it. Not amazing, but not a write-off either.

Miami Riot - 'Dirty living in the city' ; very cool, loud and brash hair metal EP. Never seen or heard of this before, but it was good stuff.

Nova Rex - 'It ain't easy being cheesy' ; another band I've known of but never heard - this was good. Very good, in places. A lot more slower and balladic than I thought, and the track running order is just plain odd... but I do like it. There is a killer mid-tempo tune on this album, and a few other good listens.

Fierce Heart - s/t ; good, hard rocking CD. Love that ballad too. Might have heard this once before, but I got the CD recently and it's a very worthy addition to the collection. Good vocals, good tunes.

Foxx - s/t and Foxx - 'Stick it out' ; I've heard a lot of these songs before on a CDR I had, but there are also plenty of tunes I hadn't heard before. I like this band. Not as good as the band that would become Smilek, but definitely impressive. Good consistency of quality over the 2 discs, varying from ballads, to "party rockers" to more metallic tracks... yeah, I just like it. Good stuff.

Frontrunner - 'Without Reason' ; again, had a shitty CDR of this once, but without the bonus tracks. The album is patchy but good. For every dud song there is a good one and in the end it is a decent listen. The three bonus tracks are a nice surprise, and sound like out-takes from 'Up-n'cummin', or at least recordings from between the two albums, as the production / sound quality on the three tracks is better than that of 'Without reason'. Overall, very good package from Retrospect.

Michael Furlong - 'Use It Or Lose It' ; this one starts off great. Awesome sound for an '85 release, and good tunes. Reminds me of a more rocking Eddie Money at times. The first half is stronger than the second, and there are a few fillers at the end... but overall I liked this disc.

Michael Furlong - 'Breakaway' ; not as strong as the debut and aside from the ballad early on, this one is failing to deliver the quality tracks. Will need closer attention, but this definitely looks like the weak link of his 2 albums here. And dude, if you look like that you just keep yourself away from album covers. :lol: No wonder I never heard of him if that was his marketing strategy. :lol:

Yea yea ok maybe I DO use the question marks a lil too much.... :whistle:

Oh Keith?? you NEED to pick up Wednesday 13 "Skeletons"!! Excelent CD!!! :beerbang:

ANyways Just listened to Hardcore Superstar "No Regrets" and "Bad Sneakers and a Pina Colada" Both are pretty good, but I think I like Bad Sneakers just THAT Much more.. It has more of a punk edge to it then No Regrets... Both are pretty good though..... :headbanger:

Poul Halberg Power Trio - Strange Brew........Fuckin' sensational from start to finish !!!!!!!!!!!!

Lynzee - 'Lost in America' ; Hmm, what to make of this band? I will make a thread on them when I've spun these albums a few times. My first impression that everything is in place, except the backing vocals and effort in chorus. The vocals are good, musically the band is fine... and the actual songs are good too. It's just that come chorus time there is not much to seperate it from the rest of the song. Backing vocals are barely used, and when they are it is to a bare minimum. And even though the choruses are well written enough, the hooks are maybe just overlooked a bit? I dunno. Will listen more, but I do like them enough to persist. Solid hair metal.

Lynzee - 'Victim of Nirvana' ; Slightly more harder rocking than the first one, with everything sounding a bit better. Choruses are slightly stronger and songs sound a bit better. I'm still not convinced, but again, it's enough to get them over the line for me.

I forgot to put this one up before..

Wednesday 13 "Skeletons" A Brilliant CD!! Supposed to be His most personal album to date and it sounds it.... Still doing the Horror/punk thing and doing it quite well I might add.. Almost NO filler on this one... I give it 4.5/5..... :headbanger:

IN THIS MOMENT - A Star Crossed Wasteland

Great last disc from this band, but they haven't really pushed-on here. The muddy mix turns even the most powerful tune into a sonic mess, and the guitars suffer particularly badly. Some good tunes ("The Road" is their most melodic song to-date, and the closing ballad is pretty special) but the vocals are way too 'breathy' and pitchy and the screaming vocals are horrible - though there aren't many this time around. Singer Maria Brink remains easier on the eye than on the ear. Their more 'Hard Rock' approach may appeal to some, but not me. This is just weak, and despite some great cover art and a couple of killer numbers, any momentum this band built-up will be killed stone-dead with this...

Poul Halberg Power Trio - Strange Brew........Fuckin' sensational from start to finish !!!!!!!!!!!!

Poul Halberg Power Trio - PsychElectric Journey........As above !!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHAT A GREAT FIND THIS HAS TURNED OUT TO BE :tumbsup:

Great last disc from this band, but they haven't really pushed-on here. The muddy mix turns even the most powerful tune into a sonic mess, and the guitars suffer particularly badly. Some good tunes ("The Road" is their most melodic song to-date, and the closing ballad is pretty special) but the vocals are way too 'breathy' and pitchy and the screaming vocals are horrible - though there aren't many this time around. Singer Maria Brink remains easier on the eye than on the ear. Their more 'Hard Rock' approach may appeal to some, but not me. This is just weak, and despite some great cover art and a couple of killer numbers, any momentum this band built-up will be killed stone-dead with this...

Nice... did not know they had a new one out yet. Will check it out, and hope for many nude photos of the lead singer in the CD booklet.

Nice... did not know they had a new one out yet. Will check it out, and hope for many nude photos of the lead singer in the CD booklet.

Check out the new video for "The Gun Show".

Lots of sexy ladies in the video even though I don't enjoy the band or vocals.

Giacomo Castellano - Cutting Bridges....Has one of the worst songs you will ever hear, one other that is is not to good at all, but love the rest !!!!!

Really like it :tumbsup:

Had 2 new CDs playing in the car last night while I was out with friends, so didn't give them my undivided attention, but got a vague first impression on them:

Empire - s/t

Solid, straight up heavy rock. Good songs and some really nice guitar, I even found myself liking one o f the ballads (although there did seem to be too many of these, which is a gripe I have with a lot of albums).

Disturbance - We Come Out At Night

Another good one, when the first track started I wasn't impressed, but listening to a few of the tracks properly (i.e. when I'd dropped my friends home) I really liked this. Good time hard rock, almost sleazy-sounding at times.

Looking forward to playing both CDs again. :beerbang:

I quite liked their last album 'The Dream' and the ballad 'Into The Light' was superb. Will give the new one a listen.

Had 2 new CDs playing in the car last night while I was out with friends, so didn't give them my undivided attention, but got a vague first impression on them:

Empire - s/t

Solid, straight up heavy rock. Good songs and some really nice guitar, I even found myself liking one o f the ballads (although there did seem to be too many of these, which is a gripe I have with a lot of albums).

Aussie band with the brilliant ballad 'Leave this way'?

Lynzee - 'Man of the people' ; Well, this was the last one and I still find it hard to get a grasp on this band. They do definitely have their own style. The opening track was very promising, and the closing track (track 10, before the 2 bonus songs) is probably the best song I've heard from these guys. A good driving melodic rocker. But the stuff inbetween, I just don't know. I don't like the vibe and to be totally honest, I found the songs quite weak and souless. Either way, I won't give up on this band. I'll spin the CDs plenty more times before I raise a thread to discuss the band.

Masquerade - 'One night stand' ; what an awesome surprise. I've briefly heard the Wild August sruff but put buying them on the back burner. Thankfully that time has arrived and I got those two CDs, plus this one. I thought this would be weaker than Wild August to be honest, but in actuality, this blows Wild August away. Great melodic/commercial hard rock disc. I really loved this one. Started off pretty nice, leading into a ballad at track three and then after that the band got gritty, and started throwing some really cool hard rockers out there. Can't wait to hear it again, but probably one of the best I've heard from Retrospect yet!

Messano - s/t ; started out so promising. The first 5/6 tracks are all pretty cool, but 7-11 are so ordinary - pretty much all fillers. Then, funnily enough, I'd scoped it out at the start and said to myself, 'I bet the bonus tracks are the best ones,' purely based on track titles. And what do you know, they pretty much were the best on the album. Some good stuff at the end of this disc, with the highlight being 'Sleepless nights' (same track done flawlessly by Melidian). So, you take the first few tunes - cut out the middle few - and combine them with the last few... then you got something pretty good.

Monro - s/t ; I have a feeling I may have heard these MP3s before, but I'm glad to finally have the disc. This is really good stuff. Good ol' fashioned AOR with mostly very strong songs.

Empire - s/t

Aussie band with the brilliant ballad 'Leave this way'?

That's the fellas. Sounding good so far.

I quite liked their last album 'The Dream' and the ballad 'Into The Light' was superb. Will give the new one a listen.

Yeah the last album was a good one. The closing ballad is very similar to "Into the Light", and "The Road" has a stunning chorus that fans of the last album will love. Listen to soundbytes before you buy though as most of the rest of the album is a mess, and first single "The Gun Show" is total shite.

Yeah the last album was a good one. The closing ballad is very similar to "Into the Light", and "The Road" has a stunning chorus that fans of the last album will love. Listen to soundbytes before you buy though as most of the rest of the album is a mess, and first single "The Gun Show" is total shite.

Thanx mate - will do. :tumbsup:

Wow, I heard their new album over the weekend. It's a bit of a trainwreck to be honest. The ballads and 'The road', and whatever other clean vocal tracks there were were okay. And musically the rest was pretty good (excellent guitarwork) but man, does she think those screaming vocals are impressing anyone? That is awful. Gently moaning as she is penetrated, yes. But those shrill screams? No. No, thanks.

This is a huge step back from the last album and I will really think twice about buying a hard copy of this CD.

Wow, I heard their new album over the weekend. It's a bit of a trainwreck to be honest. The ballads and 'The road', and whatever other clean vocal tracks there were were okay. And musically the rest was pretty good (excellent guitarwork) but man, does she think those screaming vocals are impressing anyone? That is awful. Gently moaning as she is penetrated, yes. But those shrill screams? No. No, thanks.

This is a huge step back from the last album and I will really think twice about buying a hard copy of this CD.

... and that's exactly why this is called the "first spins" thread. I spun it again this afternoon and my above commentary is way too harsh. I thought there were a lot more screaming tracks than there are. There are still about 4, which is too many for me. But there are a lot more ballads than I thought, and also a few tracks that are aggressive without a full screaming assault. It is definitely NOT a trainwreck and I will buy this... but it is not as good as 'The Dream' by any means. I struggled to seperate that CD from a normal female fronted melodic hard rock disc. With this one there is a definite modern feel and a few clear fillers. I think it's a decent disc, but a huge step back from 'The Dream.'

Tuff - What Comes Around Goes Around

Only bought this one recently, but pleased I did. Really good hard rock, similar at times to Crue. Favourites so far would probably be 'Ain't Worth a Dime' and 'Good Guys Wear Black'. I even like the ballad ''I Hate Kissing You Goodbye'. Can't get over the end of Track One where it goes all Red Hot Chili Peppers, very strange and quite rubbish too. Only track I didn't think much of was 'Lonely Lucy'.

... and that's exactly why this is called the "first spins" thread. I spun it again this afternoon and my above commentary is way too harsh. I thought there were a lot more screaming tracks than there are. There are still about 4, which is too many for me. But there are a lot more ballads than I thought, and also a few tracks that are aggressive without a full screaming assault. It is definitely NOT a trainwreck and I will buy this... but it is not as good as 'The Dream' by any means. I struggled to seperate that CD from a normal female fronted melodic hard rock disc. With this one there is a definite modern feel and a few clear fillers. I think it's a decent disc, but a huge step back from 'The Dream.'

I really quite liked the new one, especially 'Blazin', which kicks serious ass and 'World In Flames' which both show the heavy and light sides of the band very well. Not quite as good as 'The Dream' but not far off for me.

SHINING LINE - S/T

Really surprised by this one. Stunning songwriting (especially on the earlier tracks) and some big melodies all over this. Is nice to hear singers like Hess trying their hand at AOR, and is also nice to hear vocalists like Robby LeBlanc and Robin Beck belting-out numbers again - like we haven't heard from them in years. The only problem is the production, which is pretty ropey at best and the vocals are particularly inconsistently produced. Robin Beck sounds amazing and her tune is mixed perfectly. Harry Hess is almost indecipherable and his voice is lost in the mush. Well worth getting though...

SHINING LINE - S/T

Really surprised by this one. Stunning songwriting (especially on the earlier tracks) and some big melodies all over this. Is nice to hear singers like Hess trying their hand at AOR, and is also nice to hear vocalists like Robby LeBlanc and Robin Beck belting-out numbers again - like we haven't heard from them in years. The only problem is the production, which is pretty ropey at best and the vocals are particularly inconsistently produced. Robin Beck sounds amazing and her tune is mixed perfectly. Harry Hess is almost indecipherable and his voice is lost in the mush. Well worth getting though...

Any highlight tracks? I like heavier songs with decent guitar solos - anything that fits the bill?

Joe Elliot's Down 'N' Outz - Re-Generation

How does the Def Leppard singer with The Quireboys, singing Ian Hunter, Mott The Hoople and associated bands songs sound to ya?.Not many takers I'll wager, but dismiss this one at your own peril and if a good old bit of classic rock takes your fancy, then I suggest you give this one a real shot. Ian Hunter has always been a great songwriter in my books (and many others too, aswell as being a big influence on the Lepps early career), so this little disc came as a very pleasant surprise when I heard it. Some really very good covers of some great songs 'England Rocks' and 'Shouting And Pointing' are both excellent, Mott's 'Storm' storms and has some great guitar (which features strongly throughout the whole record) and generally everyones sounds like their having a right old party. Mr. Elliot even puts in some good vox, proving that his voice isn't completely shot as some have made out.

The 10 track version of this is avaliable free with classic rock magazine last month, or you can buy the full 13 track version for about a fiver if you search around t'internet and I suggest strongly that you do so.

AOR - L.A. Ambition: (The Best Of Aor 2000-2010)

A 2 disc compilation of the last 10 years of Frederic Slama's AOR project. This pretty much features all the best tracks from the 7 albums, plus 5 unreleased tracks (which all slot into the mix nicely) remixed and remastered. It made me laugh a little when I saw that one disc was named 'The Hard side' and the other 'The Soft side', as hardly any of it really 'Rocks' or could be described as 'Hard' by any stretch of the imagination. A much better description would have been the 'AOR' side and the 'Westcoast' side, but who am I to argue. Slama has assembled a superb cast of players on all his albums over the years (oh to have friends like this) including the wonderful Steves (Lukather & Overland), Michael Landau, Tommy Denander, Bruce Gaitsch, Fergie Frederiksen, Goran Edman, the list is endless and mighty fine musicians one and all. If you've never tried Frederic Slama & AOR before, this is a perfect starting point, as there are some lovely songs on here 'You're My Obsession','Leave Her To Heaven' 'Like An Open Book' 'Desperate Dreams', 'Never Gonna Let Her Go' and the fantastic 'Never Surrender' for starters. If Light'ish AOR and Westcoast music in general isn't your thing, then avoid, but for the rest of us that do, this is 2 hours of heaven in a little box.