A rant on bootlegs sold by legit vendors

[crossposted elsewhere, so my apologies for some redundant content]

I don't have anything against bootlegs or CDRs per se. They can be an excellent way to obtain out-of-print material (emphasis on "out-of-print") without breaking the bank. I've bought, sold, and traded countless boots and CDRs over the years.

What I do object to is Ebay sellers, and more importantly, supposedly legitimate vendors passing off boots/CDRs as original and legitimate pressings. That's just wrong no matter how you slice it. If a buyer is informed that a disc is a boot or CDR and then knowingly still wants to purchase it because they want the music, that's great for all concerned.

Why am I bitching about this? In the last week I received packages from two well-established online vendors, and BOTH orders contained bootlegs. The discs in question had been listed as regular releases in the catalogs. None of the usual giveaway phrases like "unofficial release", "fanclub release", "limiited promo", "reissue", etc.

I'm not going to name names. I'm just surprised, since both vendors were ones that I had purchased from numerous times over the years.

The discs in question:

1. BB Steal - On the Edge

2. Alien - S/T (1988 version)

These were packaged identically, clearly from the same source. I have owned legitimate pressings of both in the past, so I knew right away these were phoney. Each has a slipcase mirroring the front cover and tray card, with full track listings on the edge. No barcodes. The print quality is subpar, with the graphics being overly dark and the colors dull. The manufacture of the pressed discs is subpar as well, with pressing anomalies throughout. I noticed that between the time I originally ordered the discs and when I received them and complained, that the vendor changed their website to call these "reissues".

3. Airkraft - Best of

This one just pissed me off. This has got to be the absolutely WORST bootleg I've ever seen. I can make better in my living room. Cover is a single 2-sided sheet using low-resolution 72-dpi images, then run off on a Xerox copier. The disc itself is a computer-burned CDR, with text printed using a Primera Inscripta thermal CD printer.

The vendor for the first two is making good on them, including my return shipping costs. I'm still waiting to hear back from the vendor for the third disc.

I dont't mind bootlegs, but DAMNIT tell me beforehand so I can make an informed purchasing decision!!!

-Dan

P.S. I expect shit like this on Ebay, not from respected vendors.

Dan - The Airkraft best of... was done by Mitch Viegut from the band and is an official CD-R. I got mine knowing that it was an Official CD-R copy (better than not having it at all). Everywhere I have seen it advertised (Destiny, Aor Heaven etc) it states that it is a CD-R from th band. He also has done the first 2 Airkraft albums the same.

Dan - The Airkraft best of... was done by Mitch Viegut from the band and is an official CD-R. I got mine knowing that it was an Official CD-R copy (better than not having it at all). Everywhere I have seen it advertised (Destiny, Aor Heaven etc) it states that it is a CD-R from th band. He also has done the first 2 Airkraft albums the same.

"11 track compilation from the superb US AORsters out of their 4 albums ´Let´s Take Off´, ´Proximity´, ´Airkraft´ and ´In The Red´ plus the unreleased track ´Broken Ship´ - as with their other releases the packaging is pretty cheap, again"

Where does it say that this is a CD-R? Is "packaging is pretty cheap" now a euphemism for CD-R? I certainly didn't read it this way. Having owned the S/T and In the Red, the packaging certainly wasn't cheap on those... they must be referring to the CDRs the band is now selling... :(

Now that I'm stuck with this festering piece of dung, I'm sorely tempted to redo both the artwork and the disc, send a copy to Mr. Viegut and say "This how you do it!". This artwork is just crap; as a member of the band I'd be embarrassed to have it out there...

:doh:

Have to agree Dan - thought about re doing the Lets Take off CD myself. When I got mine from Destiny in the uk it did state they were cd-r's so i knew what i was getting. i agree that sellers should inform you what you're getting. I am always wary when getting stuff that are self released cd's from the band themselves, as they often turn out to be cd-r's. Saying that - I don't think the Best Of.. is that bad, as at the end of the day it's the music contained that matters, and this is a good compi of their stuff. Would have been nice to have them properly done, but as i said before better than nothing at all.

Hey Jez

I buy a lot from Destiny-They will always be honest and upfront!!

Rockhead - Totally swear by them mate. Have always delivered a great service since i have been using them - good competative prices aswell, and Simon is a top bloke and knows his stuff!!

Christ,is Destiny still going?

I havent heard from Simon in years!

I used to use him a lot but he stopped sending me catalogues after a small problem we had,and I never bothered contacting him again as I couldnt understand why he took that step!

I always liked Destiny,and will still say they offered great service even though they decided that they didnt want my business anymore!

Basically I ordered three CDs (Ace Frehley,Poison & White Lion) & sent a cheque!

A few days later I realised the cheque would bounce,so I phoned Simon & said not to send the items as I knew the cheque would not clear,to which he said "Ok,no problem!"

I then got a letter from him a week or so later saying that I owed him the money!

I phoned him & he said that when I phoned him to say the cheque wouldnt clear,he had got confused & had forgotten that he had sent the items already as I was a regular customer!

Now,I had not actually recieved these items but later discovered that the post man had either delivered the CDs to the wrong address or stolen them as all three turned up in the second hand section of my local record shop.

I phoned Simon again & told him about this & said that despite the fact I never actually recieved them,I was still quite willing to send him the money for them as it wasnt his fault,but he said not to bother as he would claim the money back from the post office!

I dont want that to sound like Simon is the 100% guilty party in the problem we had as obviously the initial error was all my fault,but I thought the matter resolved & that we would carry on business as usual,sadly Simon obviously felt otherwise!

The discs in question:

1. BB Steal - On the Edge

2. Alien - S/T (1988 version)

Those are recent Greek booties from the same guys that release Hot Metal and all "collectible" series. They released a huge batch of 80es metal recently, including MORGANA, CORTINA DE FERRO, ASTAROTH / LORDS OF CRIMSON ALIANCE, CROM, EXCESS, GOLIATH, OLIVER MAGNUM, ATHEIST, etc, etc.

They even booted AMULANCE and it is a very low-grade LP (or even tape) rip - you can hear huge distortion on song 2, bleh!

I wonder what trigerred this huge recent activity...

• 2 weeks later...

I've just been looking for some info on Tori Amos's first album (Y kant Tori Read). Outer edge of HH stuff but a very good album all the same.

It's a bootleg! I bought it from WOM (World of Music) in the Centre of Munich. I guess the german equivelent of HMV or Virgin. I must admit I was surprised to find the CD but I had always assumed it was a re-release. I've now found it's a very good, but known, German booty.

How often do major record chains sell bootlegs? Who can you trust?

I've just been looking for some info on Tori Amos's first album (Y kant Tori Read). Outer edge of HH stuff but a very good album all the same.

It's a bootleg! I bought it from WOM (World of Music) in the Centre of Munich. I guess the german equivelent of HMV or Virgin. I must admit I was surprised to find the CD but I had always assumed it was a re-release. I've now found it's a very good, but known, German booty.

CD printing and replication technology has gotten so good and so inexpensive, that sometimes it's hard for the vendors themselves to be able to tell what is legit and what isn't. Especially if it's a disc that you only physically see once every several years.

Y Kant Tori Read was released as a legitimate pressing at one time, but very scarce.

-Dan

Thanks Dan....I'm wanting to buy BB Steal - Over The Edge, and now you got me all paranoid...lol. Anyone know who to trust as far as getting an original of this album? :unsure:

Thanks Dan....I'm wanting to buy BB Steal - Over The Edge, and now you got me all paranoid...lol. Anyone know who to trust as far as getting an original of this album? :unsure:

Noone,

I just received trade in with 3 copies the other day from a trader I previously trusted, but nevertheless, I got the bootlegs too :2up:

Those things are elsewhere and no matter what you do you always end up gathering some...

CD printing and replication technology has gotten so good and so inexpensive, that sometimes it's hard for the vendors themselves to be able to tell what is legit and what isn't. Especially if it's a disc that you only physically see once every several years.

Y Kant Tori Read was released as a legitimate pressing at one time, but very scarce.

-Dan

Bad Engish on my part. I meant to say my copy is a bootleg, my first sentance looks like I was looking to buy it.

I love my rock but Tori is my first love.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest ChrisSlade

I hunted for the Y KANT TORI READ cd for years and couldnt find it. Then low and behold about 11 years ago I popped into a pawn shop and found a mint copy of it for $2.00!!! :shocked:

I collect a lot of import/bootleg Tori Cd`s. I once saw YKTR go for over $5000.00 on Ebay a few years ago.

I would never part with my original, but if it anyone every bids that high for an original again, i`d definitely let it go for that!

Chris

I've only been able to find silver-pressed bootleg copies of the "Y Kant Tori Read" CD, with "Unreadable Tori" imprinted on the disc itself. One is on the Pacific (instead of Atlantic) label. I believe my second copy is on the Dragon label. Both have bonus tracks, one being "Happy Workers" from the Robin Williams film TOYS. Anyway, it's an awesome album for 80s buffs. Favorite song has to be "Pirates" with its Motels-style keyboards and buccaneer imagery a la Adam Ant.

'There is a light that

Shines on the frontier

And baby someday

We're gonna be there

Pirates, yeah'

Also watch out for the first Mydra album. Which many sells as a limited re-issue. The sound is rubbish since many of the songs are ripped from a vinyl source.

The Kuni album with both Masque and Looking for action. Avoid since you hear glitches from badly ripped mp3:s.

I don't mind buying a boot really cheap, say around $5, but the sound must be good and it must have nice booklet and stuff.

Best

Ali