Gunshine - Checkmate EP

tts42572

These guys have a new EP coming out on 4/28 for anyone interested in checking it out.  I've been digging what these guys have been doing so curious to check this out.

image.jpeg.6cd0c15a254fdea68a8fa1bc64946cec.jpeg

Here was the first song released from it:

Edited by tts42572
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lettard said:

Debut album was excellent..more of the same please

Agree.  It was one I was turned onto here very late last year and have found myself going back.

I just dig the whole early Dangerous Toys mixed with Tora Tora type thing they have going and they sound a bit unique to me at least compared to the other stuff I'm usually listening to.

They definitely still feel like a band that's flying under the radar.  Well, I know most of the bands we talk about are flying under the radar lol but they're flying even lower than most :lol:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, tts42572 said:

They definitely still feel like a band that's flying under the radar.  Well, I know most of the bands we talk about are flying under the radar lol but they're flying even lower than most :lol:

Yeah considering the quality of their material

4 hours ago, lettard said:

Yeah considering the quality of their material

EP isn't too bad.  90 Proof is a solid start then the Swing Away and Checkmate are probably my early favorites.  I like the groove of Checkmate.

The last couple songs lose me a little bit...the last song is just too long at nearly 9 minutes.

Few tunes I'll be adding into my playlist though ;)

Love what these guys do! Gunshine's self titled debut was my number 3 disc of 2022

Heavy Harmonies - The Best of 2022!

They've posted the EP on YouTube; I'll be listening after work later...

I still need to pick up their album, but that bullshit with their site not delivering to me and the price it would cost with postage has put paid to that. Sure I could do what Lettard did with getting hold of it, but gotta be able to justify buying anything from the USA these days as postage is always more than the CDs themselves.

While "Checkmate" is currently only available via download, per the band themselves, physical CDs are coming...

image.png

Don't think I would go through the same system to pick an E.P up from them as I did for the debut album for what it would cost...even though I'd like to :( 

4 hours ago, lettard said:

Don't think I would go through the same system to pick an E.P up from them as I did for the debut album for what it would cost...even though I'd like to :( 

I just ordered the lastest album by The Warning as it's a tough one to get on CD (was only digital for ages, then initial CDs were only available in North America, then when worldwide delivery was sorted it was either too much or out of stock) .. really hated paying what they charged but really wanted it. Ended up paying £17 for the CD and £21 for postage (from Mexico I assume). Still £38 is a drop in the ocean considering how much sellers on Discogs and eBay charge for it. Usually £100+ without postage.

Only reason I have stumped up that money other than i could afford it right now, is that I fully expect it to become impossible to find down the line unless they get a bigger record deal.

1 hour ago, Captain Howdy said:

Only reason I have stumped up that money other than i could afford it right now, is that I fully expect it to become impossible to find down the line unless they get a bigger record deal.

Totally agree,thats why I went for the Gunshine debut...i'll probably end up going for the E.P also(I'll contact them for details first) because at the end of the day where else will I get it? apart from as you've pointed out Discogs...but things there aren't cheap as sellers know the value of what they have the majority of times and they know that someone/somewhere will eventually stump up for it :( 

6 hours ago, lettard said:

Totally agree,thats why I went for the Gunshine debut...i'll probably end up going for the E.P also(I'll contact them for details first) because at the end of the day where else will I get it? apart from as you've pointed out Discogs...but things there aren't cheap as sellers know the value of what they have the majority of times and they know that someone/somewhere will eventually stump up for it :( 

Only option we could have to make postage affordable is to ask them if they do combined postage and work out a plan between us to order stuff. I mean if you want the EP when its on CD, and I want the EP and the album, surely if we got all three sent together then posted to the other person (and do some kind of money transfer obviously) that might be the only way to make this affordable.

6 hours ago, lettard said:

Oh and as for Discogs, the price of postage even from countries in Europe is getting ridiculous as I am sure they are pretending Brexit has raised the postage costs. That is why I was so surprised when I ordered the two Ghost CDs from Record Shop X in Finland and only got charged 5 euros in postage for both.

6 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Only option we could have to make postage affordable is to ask them if they do combined postage and work out a plan between us to order stuff. I mean if you want the EP when its on CD, and I want the EP and the album, surely if we got all three sent together then posted to the other person (and do some kind of money transfer obviously) that might be the only way to make this affordable.

No problem,I'll message them for a total price the let you know before I order from them? Would that be ok with you? 

Just messaged,will let you know when they get back to me :drink: it took just over two weeks the last time for the cd to arrive which wasn't bad but the E.P won't be available for a week or so.

Edited by lettard