Russia banned from Winter Paralympics

auslander

Seriously, I hate Putin's guts but banning these poor dudes from paralympics is a pretty shitty move. We're talking about amputees and people with disabilities. Haven't they suffered enough? Nope, let's ban them because their president wages a war. Yeah, these amputees could have stopped that war if they tried to, stuff em.

Yeah I already know most people will disagree with me. 

I feel sorry for the athletes - it must be heartbreaking for them.

However as far as I understand, the main issue stems from other athletes or teams etc actually kicking up a stink and potentially refusing to compete against them , therefore threatening to derail competitions or events. 

• Like 1

Same with F1.

FIA came out and cancelled the Russian grand prix, but are allowing Nikita Mazapin to drive.

And then UK came out and said "no Russian drivers on our turf" and others likely to do the came, so the dude is pretty fucked.

I guess he can come out and slam Russia for the invasion, but then he's likely to be shot

Sad, but athletes are collateral damage caused by Russia.

Ironically a big step towards Putin backing off. The more unhappy the Russian population becomes, the less popular he gets and the bigger risk he won't be re-elected.

22 minutes ago, CureTheSane said:

Same with F1.

FIA came out and cancelled the Russian grand prix, but are allowing Nikita Mazapin to drive.

And then UK came out and said "no Russian drivers on our turf" and others likely to do the came, so the dude is pretty fucked.

I guess he can come out and slam Russia for the invasion, but then he's likely to be shot

Sad, but athletes are collateral damage caused by Russia.

Ironically a big step towards Putin backing off. The more unhappy the Russian population becomes, the less popular he gets and the bigger risk he won't be re-elected.

the extent of these sanctions though concern me..... back a frightened mad dog into a corner and who knows what the fuck it will do 😳

6 hours ago, auslander said:

Seriously, I hate Putin's guts but banning these poor dudes from paralympics is a pretty shitty move. We're talking about amputees and people with disabilities. Haven't they suffered enough? Nope, let's ban them because their president wages a war. Yeah, these amputees could have stopped that war if they tried to, stuff em.

Yeah I already know most people will disagree with me. 

I thought the athletes from Russia were being allowed to compete as long as they didn't compete using Russian uniforms, emblems etc....basically competing as independent or neutral....

3 hours ago, Glen said:

the extent of these sanctions though concern me..... back a frightened mad dog into a corner and who knows what the fuck it will do 😳

The sanctions are important to show Russia and the world that this sort of thing will not be tolerated....I am willing to bet that China is having second thoughts about attacking Taiwan today that they did not have before the world's reaction to the Ukraine invasion ....so while Putin is upset I find it hard to believe he and those who support him will want to make the situation worse as the Chinese will drop him like a turd if he loses his shit....

• 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

I am willing to bet that China is having second thoughts about attacking Taiwan today that they did not have before the world's reaction to the Ukraine invasion .

I reckon you'd lose that bet.

China does not give a Fuck about what the rest of the world thinks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I reckon you'd lose that bet.

China does not give a Fuck about what the rest of the world thinks.

China are like the ultimate Beta-male in world politics, always posturing and getting all pissy over perceived slights. They act like bastards and then get upset when people call them on it. The only thing they really care about is "face". They won't invade Taiwan if they think they will be humiliated by the West. But that is the only reason. They would have done it already if they think they'd win.

My sense is most of world is harboring no ill will toward the citizens of Russia, just the lunacy of Putin and his iron fist oligarchies. But the world can only do what it can to leverage against Putin, and some ways to do this is, sadly, doing things like not allowing Para-Olympians to compete, and other 'tighten the screws' measures. We (USA) did our own self-imposed banning to the Olympics back in 1980. What is going on in Ukraine is heartbreaking.....

• Like 1