Dream Theater - A View From The Top Of The World

Stefan

A_View_From_The_Top_Of_The_World.jpeg

New song 'The Alien' taken from the new album (out October 22)

Not a big fan of Dream Theater myself.

From nuclearblast.de:

The 15th studio album from the Grammy-nominated, million-selling legends of progressive music. Seven tracks & 70 minutes of brand new music, produced by John Petrucci and mixed by Andy Sneap. Limited Deluxe Box Set incl. double vinyl (180g bright gold vinyl, exclusive gatefold sleeve), limited double CD plus Blu-ray in a lush artbook, slipmat, beanie, enamel keychain, poster, eight artcards & certificate of authenticity in lift-off lid box.

Even after hundreds of shows, 15 million records sold, two GRAMMY® Award nominations, and almost four decades together, DREAM THEATER continue to look ahead. Their collective gaze never wavers from the future. Instead, the progressive metal trailblazers - James LaBrie (Vocals), John Petrucci (Guitars), Jordan Rudess (Keyboards), John Myung (Bass), and Mike Mangini (Drums) - consistently explore uncharted territory with the same spirit of sonic adventurousness. On their fifteenth album, A View from the Top of the World, the New York quintet rush forward at full speed again with seven tracks equally steeped in articulate arrangements, groove-laden guitars, and skyscraping melodies. 

dreamtheater.net

facebook.com/dreamtheater

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sounds amazing, it's like they went back to what they were doing in the early 2010s but with a better production.

Those vocal melodies are SUPER vanilla though. I know LaBrie can't sing like he used to but I still hope the vocals are a little more dynamic on the rest of the album.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Glen said:

songs ok for first 4.5 mins but then we get the usual 2-3 mins of meaningless musical wank 😴

Agree.

I really only like "When Dream And Day Unite" with the first singer, and of course "Images And Words". Never really cared all that much for any of their releases after that. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

Just giving this a quick listen while I was in the kitchen. It sounded pretty good, but I was kinda focused on making lunch. I'll have to give it one good sping with my undivided attention.

As with most DT stuff, this takes a fair bit of listening effort to truly appreciate, but so far so good. Very solid

• 7 months later...
On 10/20/2021 at 10:22 AM, nyoilers said:

I gave this band many chances but except for a few releases ,all pre 2010, they just don't impress me.

I'm starting to weed their stuff out of my collection

I found myself in the same boat; each new album I'd think, "maybe they'll get it right this time", and there'd be a couple of songs that shone but the rest were too mechanical even if they were melodic. Their s/t was the last one I even listened to all the way through; I can listen to the singles on Amazon Music now.

• 2023 Gold Donors
13 hours ago, Sevenoneself said:

I found myself in the same boat; each new album I'd think, "maybe they'll get it right this time", and there'd be a couple of songs that shone but the rest were too mechanical even if they were melodic. Their s/t was the last one I even listened to all the way through; I can listen to the singles on Amazon Music now.

After The Astonishing I stopped buying anything by them.I agree that you're better off just listening to a few of their singles

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nyoilers said:

After The Astonishing I stopped buying anything by them.I agree that you're better off just listening to a few of their singles

It's maybe a bit sacriligous to say this, but there are ALOT of bands that I'd be content to have 1 or 2 albums of their hits. I don't have time to listen to album upon album by every band out there. I'll often buy or listen to a best of, and if the music intrigues me enough I'll go out and buy an album. I've got Dragonforce's best-of, and I love it, but at this point I don't think there's alot more to discover from them.

I think you all should check out Awake. For some reason it has become overshadowed in their discography (unless you're speaking to die-hard DT fans, of course) but IMO it's every bit as good as Images and Words, and takes a much more song-based approach than most of their ensuing work. It's one of LaBrie's legitimately great vocal performances and probably the last DT album without any "wanking" or excessively long instrumental passages.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

I think you all should check out Awake. For some reason it has become overshadowed in their discography (unless you're speaking to die-hard DT fans, of course) but IMO it's every bit as good as Images and Words, and takes a much more song-based approach than most of their ensuing work. It's one of LaBrie's legitimately great vocal performances and probably the last DT album without any "wanking" or excessively long instrumental passages.

I'm sorry, Eric, but my opinion's different than yours on this album. Maybe I should give it another try. I bought the CD and couldn't believe how awful it was. I listened to it through a dozen or so times over half a year or so, and then I just threw the CD out 'cuz I knew I'd never listen to it ever again! That was probably around 10 years ago.

Now this is what's great about humans and our diversity in personalities, background, musical knowledge, etc: we do enjoy all sorts of different genres and bands and songs. I'm going to give it another listen; perhaps I've matured a bit and will enjoy it.

• Like 1