Fifth of all songs streamed in the UK in 2020 were rap and hip hop

PeterS

Actually, here in the U.S. there's a fairly high percentage of music listeners listening to country music, which offsets some of the rap/hip-hop numbers, and I don't know that country music has the same market presence in the UK, which is why I would expect it to be as high or higher in the UK than US.

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, heavyharmonies said:

Actually, I'm surprised the number was that low. I would have guessed higher, not just for the UK but US as well.

Yeah, I'm surprised it's that low, too. 

Have any of you even talked to a kid in the last ten years? Hip Hop is pretty much all they listen to. 

4 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Have any of you even talked to a kid in the last ten years? Hip Hop is pretty much all they listen to. 

Yeah...my oldest son listens to it all of the time along with grime & drill :blink:,he does however love Motley Crue,I mean at the end of the day its his choice, just as my country loving Dad despaired at my choice (its just a fad he would say..I was 7) 40 plus years ago  :) although my son does know and recognize the music that I play,there aint many 15 year olds who know Dokken,XYZ,,Lillian Axe etc but also one of his friends is an absolute 80's Rock/Metal sponge and is constantly flying the flag

...fortunately my middle son loves Rock  :) and Im still working on the youngest ;) 

Edited by lettard

Hip hop may be in the ascendency right now but I think it will lose its appeal in the future as more people will want some substance to their music. Hip hop is just kids raised by single mothers shouting "I'm the best! I'm the best! My mum tells me I'm the best" over a synthetic drum beat and stolen melody. It is a disposable genre without any timeless songs. 

And kids have always had bad taste in music! I used to listen to grunge as a teen for instance...

1 hour ago, PeterS said:

Eldest does like some stuff but it's mainly things that have been in games. 

Yeah the likes of the cod games have a pretty Hard Rock/Heavy Metal vibe going through most of them...hell my friend heard Autograph for the first after buying Grand Theft Auto Vice City waaaaaayyyy back in the day on ps2(not a typo)...it played on the radio in the game in his car..he then proceeded to tell me all about it and it was something new...I then produced Sign In Please...to let him down gently  :)

• Like 2