AOR Song of the Day

Darkstone

15 minutes ago, Darkstone said:

Many bands have covered this track, but none have even come close to the original. 

I think the one cover that comes the closest for me is Beast In Black. Love the original. 

• 2023 Gold Donors
2 hours ago, Aordave89 said:

I think the one cover that comes the closest for me is Beast In Black. Love the original. 

Yeah, "Beast in Black", "Bullet for my Valentine" and the "At the Movies" versions are the best efforts.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Venetians - Bitter Tears.

An Aussie track from '88 I've always loved. Big time!

I've also posted the extended mix. 

Back in the day I used to own the 12" blue vinyl single pictured in the thumbnail. Who knows? The single pictured may actually be my old copy.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Aswell as Avion this is another of my fave Aussie AOR bands and Jack Jones voice is just sublime, Nothing But The Truth is an all killer no filler album and probably one of the best AOR albums to come out of Austrailia.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors
6 hours ago, Mr.AOR said:

Aswell as Avion this is another of my fave Aussie AOR bands and Jack Jones voice is just sublime, Nothing But The Truth is an all killer no filler album and probably one of the best AOR albums to come out of Austrailia.

You wouldn't recognize Jack Jones if you saw him today.

Most recent release he has done is duet album with Rick Price.

A tribute to the west coast sound of 60s & 70s, bands like Byrds, Eagles.

He did do a horrible solo under his real name , Irwin Thomas

• 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, Doggy said:

Most recent release he has done is duet album with Rick Price.

A tribute to the west coast sound of 60s & 70s, bands like Byrds, Eagles.

He did do a horrible solo under his real name , Irwin Thomas

Yeah, Rick Price is another one that fell through the cracks.

His "Heaven Knows" album was huge at the time. This track was a massive hit. Killer AOR.

• Like 1

The singer was found on an entertainment show, Hey,Hey Its Saturday.

He was contestant on 'Red Faces "

Some of members were in Moving Pictures.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Dragon/Hunter ×5.

Known as "Hunter" overseas, "Dragon" were/are one of the biggest acts in Aussie history.

I've posted five of their 80s tracks, but they were already well established with many huge 70s hits down here.

The Dragon discography is a mainstay of Aussie radio to this day.

As with a lot of iconic Australian acts, these guys originally hailed from NZ. That's not their fault though, so Australians have never held that against them.

1 hour ago, Darkstone said:

Dragon/Hunter ×5.

Known as "Hunter" overseas, "Dragon" were/are one of the biggest acts in Aussie history.

I've posted five of their 80s tracks, but they were already well established with many huge 70s hits down here.

The Dragon discography is a mainstay of Aussie radio to this day.

As with a lot of iconic Australian acts, these guys originally hailed from NZ. That's not their fault though, so Australians have never held that against them.

Are you old enough to put these up or sun it up in Cuba?

• 2023 Gold Donors

Noiseworks - Take Me Back.

I seem to be focusing on the Aussie stuff in this thread.

Noiseworks are another quintessential Aussie band. Many great tracks, but this is their Masterpiece. 

This is what we call down here a "Pub song". I can pretty much guarantee that every Aussie here has sung this song completely off their tits surrounded by mates at some stage.

Actually, I'd be interested to know how well known these guys are overseas?

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Little River Band - Playing to Win.

One of my favourite songs ever. In the mid 80s LRB recruited John Farnham for Lead Vocal duties. An AOR match made in Heaven. 

It didn't last very long. John Farnham went on, however, to release the album "Whispering Jack" and cement his place in Australian music history. He was already pretty much a household name before the WJ album, but that absolutely sealed the deal. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Darkstone said:

Little River Band - Playing to Win.

One of my favourite songs ever. In the mid 80s LRB recruited John Farnham for Lead Vocal duties. An AOR match made in Heaven. 

It didn't last very long. John Farnham went on, however, to release the album "Whispering Jack" and cement his place in Australian music history. He was already pretty much a household name before the WJ album, but that absolutely sealed the deal. 

Sad, a legendary band like L.R. B. all their albums are deleted, expect a cheap best of.

It's now like Skyhooks, the only two you gets is " Living In 70s " and a best of 

Edited by Doggy

• 2023 Gold Donors
33 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Sad, a legendary band like L.R. B. all their albums are deleted, expect a cheap best of.

It's now like Skyhooks, the only two you gets is " Living In 70s " and a best of 

They've always been plagued by legal issues.

6 hours ago, Darkstone said:

They've always been plagued by legal issues.

You just have look at most recent release, their no original members left.

Sure Wayne Nelson is band, but he was added member.

The dogfight over the name, makes the L.A.Guns' one tame.

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

So if you hadn't heard of Narada Michael Walden before i'm sure you know him now as he is occupying the drum stool for Journey. Anyway back in the mid 80's Dixie Peach used to have a Sat night show on BBC Radio1 palying a mix of AOR/Melodic Rock interspersed  with some Funk. Now it was on this show he Played "Live It Up" by Marada Michael Walden which was from his then current album The Nature Of Things. Back Then i didn't know who the fuck NMW was and thought he was some obscure AOR act as upon hearing "Live It Up" i thought wow that is one cool aor song, how wrong was i. Fast forward to today and i still include this song in my aor playlists, it is just a fantastic keyboard driven aor song that seems completely out of place on the album.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Aztec Camera - Somewhere in my Heart.

I've always loved this track. I think it straddles the line between AOR and Pop, but I personally, would classify this as AOR.

I first heard a snippet of this on the British soap opera "Eastenders".

Forget "Neighbors", "Eastenders" was the shit back in the day. Luckily the ABC (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) used to air it. My Mum loved it. 

I used to catch glimpses of it occasionally.  :whistle:

Only Aussies and Poms will know of "Eastenders", or "Neighbors" for that matter.

Only Aussies and Poms will recognize the term Pom. 

Edited by Darkstone