Soilwork - A Whisp of the Atlantic

KarpetRydOFunk

• My Little Pony

With the way everyone gets wet just thinking about Björn Strid these days (myself included) I'm surprised nobody ever talks about his other band, Soilwork. Verkligheten was a monster of an album with some of the greatest riffs I'd heard in 2018. Last week they released their latest effort, A Whisp of the Atlantic. Definitely has a different vibe to it overall, but it's solid. It's just too short for my liking. 

• My Little Pony
4 hours ago, Glen said:

don't like his death vocals on the Soilwork albums 

Is screaming an immediate turn off, or can you get through a song with both screaming and clean vocals?

I used to have no time for screaming, but this is the band that changed my mind. It's because the music surrounding it is so good, and you still get Björn's clean vocals. 

I like Soilwork and the majority of these tracks apart from the title track have been out on Spotify for quite a while. Not a huge fan of growling vocals but I can handle them if the chorus is clean and melodic. 

• 1 year later...

Solid EP for sure, Death Diviner and The Nothingness are great, title track clocking in at over 16 minutes is solid as well. 

Bjorn and David were getting chirped that Verkligheten was too much like NFO, so it seems they went a little heavier with more of the death growls for this ep. 

Verkligheten is a great album and their best to date, with a perfect ratio of clean vocals to death growls. I'm not too much into the first 5 albums but after that as they gradually added more and more melody and clean vocals it really started to gel.  The last 3 full studio albums are the best and coincides with when David joined the band.

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, tobi is an animal said:

Bjorn and David were getting chirped that Verkligheten was too much like NFO

From who? It was nothing like NFO. 

It was just comments on their facebook page and youtube. I think it was more to do with the increasing clean vocals and stronger melodies, along with decreasing death growls and overall heaviness.  I seem to remember the facebook comments had some complaints about it anyway. I think the fans like myself who like their later more melodic stuff were more than good with it, and the others who like the heavier stuff were not.  Either way the EP went back to their more heavier stylings. 

Agree completely. A bit too much NFO creeping in for me. I like both bands but I like them as separate things. I've been missing that predators portrait, chain heart machine feel. We'll see how the rest of the album sounds before making a set decision. The last album was probably my least favorite in years. It was a good album but less my thing.

Brandon Isebell

3 years ago
Some of the riffs sound reminiscent of Night Flight Orchestra. I think Bjorn is incorporating some of that sound into the new Soilwork record. It works.

This is a song that grows on you and just keeps getting better. It feels like a blend between Soilwork and NFO. We need MORE OF THIS CROSSOVER STYLE!

@Brandon Isebell  I've listened to some NFO, it's not really my thing. As you say you can hear some influences here and there, but when its incorporated in Soilworks melancholic songs it just works wonders to elevate the sound! NFO is a bit too cheerful and upbeat for me. Or something :D.

Great song and of course it sounds different from previous Soilwork, they only have one single original member nowadays in the band. Also, I think they have been listening to a band called...ah...The Night Flight Orchestra ;-)

Absolutely different from Arrival but i love it! Can see where people are coming from with these TNFO comments. But then i remember that Departure Plan also had a very different vibe than the more usual-heavier Soilwork vibe. And damn do i love that song! I'm hyped more and more for VERKLIGHETEN!

I love the song but I feel like The Night Flight Orchestra and Soilwork had a musical baby with this.