Forgotten Hard Rock Albums: Jesse Strange - "Jesse Strange" (1992)

AlphaMale

Man.... this was one of the best blind purchases ever. Not sure if I had seen "Coyote Morning" on Headbanger's Ball before I bought this or not. But I know I was totally hooked on this!! I do remember buying this and Total Eclipse at the same time. Thank God this was so good because that funk-flavored garbage on TE was horrible! JESSE STRANGE should've been huge!! So underrated!!

For anybody who hasn't heard this, BUY IT NOW!!

Some of my favorites:

Edited by AlphaMale
  • Like 1

Nice choice once again.  I actually just gave this a spin last night.  If I recall correctly I first heard them on a local radio station in Milwaukee, WI back in '92.  New, melodic rock releases were becoming scarcer at that point, so I rolled the dice and purchased it and was not disappointed.  The album became one of my favorites from that year.

• Like 1

Brilliant album,still listen to it quite a bit,for me a real blind blind purchase as I'd never heard of them at all and it was available from s.t records sales list that they sent me if I remember rightly,took a plug on this souly based on the band name,wow was I well pleased to hear new music I like at a time when it wasn't doing much...great cd "Love On The Telephone" , "Raise A Little Hell" , "Silver Screen" & "Down and Dirty" for example,whats not to like :drink:

Edited by lettard

My first experience of this band was a single track that was included on a give away compilation cassette on the cover of one of the UK rock and metal mags at the time it came out. I think it was Metal Hammer, but could easily have been Raw or Kerrang, and was a compilation of bands signed to Epic records at the time.

Without digging the cassette out from the hole all my cassettes are buried in, I am alost certain the song on it was Raise a little hell.

At the time I was still relatively new to rock and metal, as my first steps were around 1988, and was still buying most stuff on cassette as I was unwilling to pay the high price of CDs, so this album never really got a chance.

I finally bought the CD in 2003, probably from eBay, and fucking loved the whole album. I bought the Shake it version of the Beau Nasty album around the same time, though just after Jesse Strange and was surprised to find out that they released the song Make a wish before Jesse Strange did, but still thought the JS version was the better of the two.

Of course, three years later I bought the second album as soon as it came out. No way was I gonna wait over a decade this time.

Yeah, one of the good ones. Out of context the vocals were a little how-ya-goin', but as a complete package this whole thing worked. Love 'Make a wish,' 'Down n' dirty' and the killer closing ballad, 'The last goodbye' best of all. But there's no garbage on this - just a very good album.