eBay Rarities

• My Little Pony

I've had some time to kill, so I've been browsing the main site lately. And I just checked out the eBay Rarities page. I remember when I first started out in this hobby 14 years ago, that page was my bible. The top 50 were all in my eBay watchlist. I never purchased any of them, because I could never justify spending that money, but I was always hopeful to find a deal.

I'm just so surprised to see the list has changed drastically. Back then the top albums were from Kidd Wikkid, White Eagle, KK Wilde, Friction, Simon Says, with Hit the Ground Runnin' always at number one. It's just interesting how much things have changed. 

So who's still out there collecting the indies? I haven't bought a CD in a long minute, but I can't lie: the thrill of the hunt, even if it is just surfing eBay, has been creeping up on me these past few days. I don't think I can afford it, but I might just start keeping my eyes out for some albums. 

This is the page I'm referring to, for those who haven't been to the main site in a while: eBay Rarities

And unfortunately that page is woefully out of date. The underlying architecture to be able to pull completed eBay listings no longer works, and I don't think there's a way to fix it, since eBay now redirects you from sold listings to active similar listings... which defeats the entire purpose with respect to historical data.

It always was buggy with respect to false positives.

The only way to now update that list is for someone to manually enter completed listings, and nobody has any time for that.

I probably should remove the page, but it's there for historical reference.

• My Little Pony

How long has it been that way? 

I still find it fascinating how the interests of the general populace shift over a relatively short period. I wish there was more discussion on this site about the actual collecting side of this hobby. Perhaps all you old boys already talked it to death in the late 90s and early 00s. The early days of HH. 

Yeah, I kinda stop buying old cds (not that I was missing many) always hoping that somebody will release them on vinyl. The major exception, of course, is my want list of Japanese bands.

Of course, nowadays, is very risky to buy an olde cd. Lol at al dudes posting photos in social media with their overpaid Russian counterfeits. 

1 hour ago, kourosofsteel3 said:

Of course, nowadays, is very risky to buy an olde cd. Lol at al dudes posting photos in social media with their overpaid Russian counterfeits. 

I still regularly keep an eye out on discogs, ebay and at resale shops for cds I have on my want list.  And there are some on that rarities list I'd be thrilled to add to my collection.  Maybe I'll find them one day, but then again I don't know if I could bring myself to ever spend that much money on a used cd.  I know when I first started learning about bands, through sites like HH, that weren't big in the USA (during the early 2000's) and I bought some cds, I learned over time some weren't official versions.  :angry:  Ever since that realization I am very cautious who I buy from and do my best to verify through photos and asking questions.  It is crazy to me how many unofficial versions of cds are out there nowadays.

I still long for those good old days of hitting 50 pawn shops and second hand stores and buying cd's for $.25 a piece and always finding some great rarities.

Those days are LOOOONNNGGG gone I'm afraid, but I still get out to a Half Priced Books which if your persistent you can still find a bargain or 2.

All that said, yes the bootlegs are wrong and killing a fun "sport" and I am always up for talking about scrounging and the elusive rarity...

I still need to relocate a disc I sent to George thinking I'd find another as the band was local and I at 1 time had a handful... Eye In Time was the band and I don't think I'll nab another which makes me sad. :(