Alliance Of American Football (AAF)

AlphaMale

Anybody watching the new United States pro football league?

https://aaf.com/

Teams:

f8953e51-c9e5-4b5b-982a-3ce13ff1ed14_az. ARIZONA HOTSHOTS

5ddb1b90-9cd7-456e-89c4-d1a8cd203a4e_s-a SALT LAKE STALLIONS

9ddf0068-dc62-4ebd-ac14-fca07ff68902_sa. SAN ANTONIO COMMANDERS

50549783-ae3a-4195-81ec-0f949b01df11_sd. SAN DIEGO FLEET

48effc7d-89b9-4efe-a0db-98d338757227_atl ATLANTA LEGENDS

bd3e382c-9091-45b8-9b82-b402f730a0de_bir BIRMINGHAM IRON

8a221976-92e4-4280-a675-75487bcba561_mem MEMPHIS EXPRESS

4f2d14cd-b834-48fe-8ada-8f6741b3714b_orl ORLANDO APOLLOS

I caught most of the San Antonio game Saturday evening. I liked it overall. Not sure I agree with no kickoffs, but I dig the shorter playclock, and I absolutely *LOVE* the refs and review people are micced and on camera during the deliberation process. The transparency is superb and the NFL needs to adopt it.

The rest of the games are on NFL Network, not CBS, so expect a large ratings dropoff. I don't currently have NFL Network, and I don't think there is a cheap way to get just that channel live.

Throughout the regular season, viewers will be able to watch games on CBS (stream on CBS All Access) CBS Sports Network (stream those games here), NFL Network (stream on fuboTV, try for free) or through B/R Live

Below you can find each week's schedule, including start times and broadcast network, and scores. All times are Eastern. 

Week 1

Result Date    

Orlando 40, Atlanta 6

Saturday, Feb. 9

San Antonio 15, San Diego 6

Saturday, Feb. 9

Birmingham 26, Memphis 0

Sunday, Feb. 10

Arizona 38, Salt Lake 22

Sunday, Feb. 10

Week 2

Game Date Time Network

Salt Lake at Birmingham

Saturday, Feb. 16

2 p.m. 

TNT

Arizona at Memphis

Saturday, Feb. 16

8 p.m. 

NFL Network

Orlando at San Antonio

Sunday, Feb. 17

4 p.m. 

CBS Sports Network

Atlanta at San Diego

Sunday, Feb. 17

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 3

Game Date Time Network

Arizona at Salt Lake

Saturday, Feb. 23

3 p.m.

B/R Live

Memphis at Orlando

Saturday, Feb. 23

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Birmingham at Atlanta

Sunday, Feb. 24

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

San Antonio at San Diego

Sunday, Feb. 24

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 4

Game Date Time Network

Orlando at Salt Lake

Saturday, March 2

4 p.m.

B/R Live

San Diego at Memphis

Saturday, March 2

8 p.m.

NFL Network

San Antonio at Birmingham

Sunday, March 3

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Atlanta at Arizona

Sunday, March 3

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 5

Game Date Time Network

Orlando at Birmingham

Saturday, March 9

2 p.m.

B/R Live

Salt Lake at San Diego

Saturday, March 9 

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Memphis at Atlanta

Sunday, March 10

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

San Antonio at Arizona

Sunday, March 10

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 6

Game Date Time Network

Memphis at Salt Lake

Saturday, March 16

4 p.m.

B/R Live

Arizona at Orlando

Saturday, March 16

8 p.m.

NFL Network

San Antonio at Atlanta

Sunday, March 17

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Birmingham at San Diego

Sunday, March 17

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 7

Game Date Time Network

Orlando at Atlanta

Saturday, March 23

3 p.m.

B/R Live

Salt Lake at San Antonio

Saturday, March 23

8 p.m.

NFL Network

San Diego at Arizona

Sunday, March 24

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Birmingham at Memphis

Sunday, March 24

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 8

Game Date Time Network

Orlando at Memphis

Saturday, March 30

2 p.m.

B/R Live

San Diego at Salt Lake

Saturday, March 30

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Atlanta at Birmingham

Sunday, March 31

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Arizona at San Antonio

Sunday, March 31

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 9

Game Date Time Network

Memphis at San Antonio

Saturday, April 6

4 p.m.

B/R Live

San Diego at Orlando

Saturday, April 6

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Salt Lake at Atlanta

Sunday, April 7

4 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Birmingham at Arizona

Sunday, April 7

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Week 10

Game Date Time Network

San Antonio at Salt Lake

Friday, April 12

8 p.m.

B/R Live

Atlanta at Memphis

Saturday, April 13

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Birmingham at Orlando

Sunday, April 14

3:30 p.m.

CBS Sports Network

Arizona at San Diego

Sunday, April 14

8 p.m.

NFL Network

Ugh. I can get CBS OTA. Cheapest package I can find that has both TNT and NFL Network is $25/month, and I can't find Bleacherreport Live in anything except direct from them for $10/month just for that channel.

I really don't like spending bux just for a couple football games on 2 days of the week. Color me a cheapskate.

• 2 weeks later...

AAF Week 2 Recap

By Jared Malott Feb 19, 2019, 9:38am EST

1025382124.jpg.0.jpg Photo by Justin K. Aller/Getty Images

Stop me if you’ve heard this before; teams featuring players from Florida, Alabama and California are undefeated in a football league.

Who ever saw this coming?

I get it. From the time the confetti stops falling at the Super Bowl through mid-July, football moratorium is upon us.

Not anymore.

“There’s not enough talent for the NFL, let alone a league full of misfits, nomads and vagabonds”, you say.

I digress!

I pointed out on Sunday that there are at least four quarterbacks in this league that I’d rather watch play football than Blake Bortles or really anyone prior to Sam Darnold of the Jets, meaning essentially the bottom half of quarterbacks in this league.

This past weekend, all 8 AAF teams were back in action, like they’ll be for the next 10 weeks right up until the 2019 NFL Draft!

First, on Saturday, the Birmingham Iron defeated the Salt Lake Stallions 12-9. The Iron are led by QB Luis Perez, who went 24/38 for 184 yards and has yet to turn the ball over in each of his first two games while completing 60% or more of his passes each game. The Iron’s leading receiver is Quinton Patton, the 28-year old WR from Louisiana Tech and a former 4th round draft pick by the San Francisco 49ers. He’s come back from a foot injury he sustained as a Jet in 2017 and has 151 yards receiving through two games. Of course the Iron’s leading rusher is Trent Richardson, but his output isn’t remarkable. He’s basically a lumbering oaf that occasionally ambles in the right direction. However, that direction has led to back-to-back wins and the Iron are 2-0.

The Iron defense is led by LB Beniquez Brown with 10 tackles and a fumble recovery as well as LB Jonathan Massaquoi with 9 tackles and 2 sacks.

For the Salt Lake Stallions, their running game isn’t awful, as they’ve got two running backs in Brandon Oliver and Joel Bouagnon that are averaging 4 or more yards per carry. It’s their passing game that clearly needs help. Through two weeks, the Salt Lake QBs are a combined 32 of 66 (under 50% completion rate for those not terribly into math), with Matt Linehan leading the team with 53% completion thus far. Clearly they’ve got a long way to go as a team and they’re 0-2 at this point.

The Stallion defense is led by DE Karter Schult with 10 tackles and 3 sacks as well as S Cody Brown with 10 tackles.

The late game Saturday featured the Arizona Hotshots and the Memphis Express. As I predicted, the Hotshots are now 2-0 after beating the Express 20-18, who fall to 0-2. Hotshot QB John Wolford is now 32/51 (62.7%) with 6 TDs and 2INT for 469 yards. Additionally, the Hotshot backfield is stacked with three running backs average 4 or more yards per carry in Jhurell Pressley, Justin Stockton, and Tim Cook. WR Rashad Ross leads Arizona in receiving with 9 catches for 170 yards and 3 TDs.

The Hotshot defense is led by LB Steven Johnson with 13 tackles and an INT and LB Da’Sean Downey’s 2 sacks.

Memphis’ offense is straight up anemic, and frankly that falls on QB Christian Hackenberg, who is currently 24/48 (50% completion percentage) for 189 yards and an INT. RB Zac Stacy is filling the #1 running back role and has run the ball 31 times for 159 yards and a TD, but the team lacks a clear #2 back. The receivers aren’t offering a lot of help, with Reece Horn, the Express’ leading receiver, having 7 catches for 84 yards through two games.

The Express defense is led by LB DeMarquis Gates with 16 tackles and a fumble recovery as well as LB Anthony Johnson with 9 tackles and 2 sacks.

On Sunday, the Orlando Apollos beat the San Antonio Commanders 37-29 in the best game the league has had thus far. Orlando QB Garrett Gilbert went 19/28 (67.9% completion percentage) for 393 yards and 2 TDs in a victory. Called shot, Gilbert starts in the NFL in the next year or two and probably for the Titans or Jaguars if we’re being honest about it. Maybe the Bucs if they get off the Winston Wagon and stop riding Fitzmagic? No, seriously, peep the stats. Through two games, Gilbert is 34/53 (64.3% completion percentage) for 620 yards and 4 TDs with no INTs thrown. Important to note is that the Apollo offense is run by none other than Steve Spurrier, the Ole Ball Coach, and he loves to air it out. As far as the rest of the Orlando offense goes, the backfield features D’Ernest Johnson and Akeem Hunt, both averaging well over 5 yards a carry. Charles Johnson leads the Apollos in receiving and has 11 catches for 252 yards and a TD. Given that the Orlando defense gave up 29 points, it’s pretty apparent how this team wins games, am I right?

The Apollos are led on defense by LB Terence Garvin with 9 tackles and 2 INTs as well as S Will Hill III with 9 tackles.

The San Antonio Commanders are not sitting quite as pretty and it starts under center. I want QB Logan Woodside to be a starting NFL quarterback because I like guys that make plays with their feet as well as their arm, but I can’t say he’s ready given that he’s 38/75 (50.7% completion percentage) for 478 yards, a TD and 3 INTs. That said, it’s not always on the passer. The Commander backfield is led by Kenneth Farrow II, who has 27 rushes for 111 yards and 2 TDs. He is aided in his efforts by the likes of RBs David Cobb and Aaron Green, that are good, but not great back-up running backs. Mekale McKay and Alonze Moore share the lead at WR, and given their target share, I think it’s fair to say Logan doesn’t have a #1 receiver yet but when he finds his guy, I think his completion percentage will shoot up. Logan Woodside is a guy I can see playing in the NFL in the next year or two if he continues to improve.

The Commander defense is led by CB De’Vante Bausby with 7 tackles and an INT as well as LB Shaan Washington with 4 tackles and 3 sacks.

On Sunday night, the San Diego Fleet defended the homefront and beat the Atlanta Legends 24-14. San Diego is having a little QB shuffle going on, and I think Mike Bercovici is the long-term starter and another potential NFL starter, should he develop some sense of awareness to keep himself from getting mowed down by a pass rusher. That said, Philip Nelson showed up on Sunday and made plays with his feet as well, which I hold in high regard because I’d rather get a few yards on a scramble than take a sack, right? Fleet RB Ja’Quan Gardner leads the backfield with 23 carries for 159 yards and 2 TDs and outside of RB Terrell Watson, there isn’t a lot of depth at the position. WR Brian Brown leads the receiving group, but a TE to keep an eye on is Gavin Escobar.

The Fleet defense is led by SS Ryan Moeller with 6 tackles and 2 INTs as well as DE Damontre Moore with 6 tackles and 2 sacks.

The Atlanta Legends are going to suffer a similar fate to that of the Jets by continuing to trust QB Matt Simms with protecting the football on top of being accurate when he throws it. See, Simms is 32/53 (60% completion percentage) for 286 yards, a TD and 3 INTs. The Atlanta backfield is in shambles with no clear #1 back, and you know your offense is in trouble when a running back is your leading receiver through two games.

The Legends are led on defense by DB Tyson Graham, Jr. with 14 tackles, half a sack and an INT, as well as DB Ed Reynolds with 10 tackles and a sack.

I get that there is no football like NFL football, but this is the best method for assessing players after college and before the next season starts. We may not get a bunch of QBs from this year’s class, but there are definitely some talented players all over the league and it’s just getting started.

On 2/11/2019 at 7:22 PM, heavyharmonies said:

Ugh. I can get CBS OTA. Cheapest package I can find that has both TNT and NFL Network is $25/month, and I can't find Bleacherreport Live in anything except direct from them for $10/month just for that channel.

I really don't like spending bux just for a couple football games on 2 days of the week. Color me a cheapskate.

I tried watching on Bleacher Report live today and it was pure hell. Kept freezing up. And the screen would go blank during commercials and never come back. Refreshing etc was fruitless. So I got the free app for my phone and watched it for free flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

Week 3

Salt Lake 23, Arizona 15

Orlando 21, Memphis 17

Birmingham 28, Atlanta 12

San Diego 31, San Antonio 11

Week 4

Memphis 26, San Diego 23

Orlando 20, Salt Lake 11

San Antonio 12, Birmingham 11

Atlanta 14, Arizona 11

East Division

Team Overall Vs. Division Vs. West Home Away

Orlando Apollos

4-0

2-0

2-0

2-0

2-0

Birmingham Iron

3-1

2-0

1-1

2-1

1-0

Atlanta Legends

1-3

0-2

1-1

0-1

1-2

Memphis Express

1-3

0-2

1-1

1-1

0-2

West Division

Team Overall Vs. Division Vs. East Home Away

Arizona Hotshots

2-2

1-1

1-1

1-1

1-1

San Antonio Commanders

2-2

1-1

1-1

1-1

1-1

San Diego Fleet

2-2

1-1

1-1

2-0

0-2

Salt Lake City Stallions

1-3

1-1

0-2

1-1

0-2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/11/2019 at 7:22 PM, heavyharmonies said:

YouTube has each game streaming LIVE as well Dan.

• 8 months later...

Shit! the XFL at least made it 1 whole season, that was short lived, I never even got to go check out a game, oh well, cant comment on the quality, must not have been great? anybody go check out a game?