Steven Tyler - We're all somebody from somewhere

PeterS

Lined this one up expecting to hate it. Talk of country. Not really enjoyed Aerosmith's output for a long time.

First spin confirmed all my prejudice. Dreadful.

But then I gave it a second go. Mmm. Maybe not sooo bad. And then span it again. Growing on me.

I'm still going. Despite all my skepticism I really like this one.

Somebody needs to explain what country is to me as I'm not hearing what I thought was country.

It's not a bad album, which as you say, gets better with subsequent spins. There are elements of new country in the sound on some tracks, banjo, lap steel, fiddles and the way some of the songs are constructed, but to call this a full on new country album is missing the mark a little. Then again, anyone else expecting a full blown rock album ala Aerosmith is going to be disappointed as well. Generally I like it, but can see quite a few people on here not being into this at all.all.

It's not a bad album, which as you say, gets better with subsequent spins. There are elements of new country in the sound on some tracks, banjo, lap steel, fiddles and the way some of the songs are constructed, but to call this a full on new country album is missing the mark a little. Then again, anyone else expecting a full blown rock album ala Aerosmith is going to be disappointed as well. Generally I like it, but can see quite a few people on here not being into this at all.all.

I'm through with my first spin and more or less I'm with the same train as Jez. I think this is not 100% country pop but maybe more of Delta-blues country which quite fitting with Tyler and Aerosmith's blues roots but of course less rock. A good and acceptable album for me, might be better after more spins and I think his vocal somehow just perfectly blended in with this style and this disc serves right as an interlude to our regular metal/rock playlist.

I am an Aerosmith fan, and I am somewhat of a country fan, but the last time I truly enjoyed an Aerosmith album was Get a grip, and only partially enjoyed Nine lives. Everything since has been mediocre at best. From what I have heard of this album, it pretty much sounds like more of the same, so I will wait until I can pick it up cheap. Who knows, maybe I will really like it, just not willing to take the risk at full price.