nyoilers

• My Little Pony

Yes,Listen to KarpetRyd!

Oh, and let's just dwell on this a minute. ;}
Lets not
I've received nothing but hate from you lately, Glen. What's up? ;}
Hate lol?? I only ever piss take.

Heh. I didn't expect you to bite.

A modern rock forum to me doesnt make a lot of sense as the bands in it would all be vastly different in style. Bands like Halestorm for instance fit perfectly well in the AOR/Hard rock forum, and AX7 fit absolutely fine in the Heavy Metal form. Plus, what is "modern rock"? What was modern rock 5 years ago may not be classed as modern rock now, just as anything thats modern rock now will not necessarily class as modern rock in another five years.

I think the simplest thing is, think what the closest musical style is to the current bands, and talk about them in that forum.

It gets tricky enough trying to decide whether a band belongs in the Hard rock forum or the Sleaze glam forum for many bands, so to go with a modern rock forum would just make it even more of a pain.

Modern rock really isnt a style, its a blanket term because it never covers the same bands for long. A few years ago modern rock would have been BFS style punk/pop/rock. Another time it would have been Marilyn Manson style technorock. Then it would have been Limp Bizkit rap rock. etc etc etc
Would you still call any of those bands "modern rock"?

• 2023 Gold Donors

I would say that modern rock would most likely be heard on active rock radio stations.There seem to be a few people who don't like this music for whatever reason so it should have its own category or many topics started with these bands would get lost.There's enough of these groups that don't fit into the other categories.Where would 5FDP go or RHC ? To me Korn is still modern rock-even 20 years after releasing their first CD.There is a stigma that everything that came after grunge is modern rock so I guess that's where the line is drawn.

I would put Limp Bizkit in with Korn,more like nu-metal.And Manson would go in with NIN,more like industrial rock.But they're all under the blanket of modern rock.Is BFS Bowling for soup? If so they would go with Weezer.

But by the same token that makes the likes of Crash Diet or Reckless Love modern rock.

I think active rock stations that you mention prove my point that modern rock is only modern rock at that moment. Active rock stations play what is in at that moment. You can bet with some exceptions, they are not playing most of the bands they played 10 years ago, because they are no longer modern enough for them.

Modern rock isnt a style in my opinion.

• My Little Pony

I'd say Modern Rock isn't necessarily a style, but it encompasses a bunch of styles. However it still has a recognisable sound. Most Rock from the 90's to now have a generic sound. Usually it's that Grunge/Post-Grunge sound, but it can also be Alternative or Nu-Metal. Sure it has evolved over the years, but the foundational sound is still there.

• 2023 Gold Donors

Yes,I know Red Hot Chili Peppers came out in the mid 80's but their popularity didn't start until Mother's Milk.They;'re in a grey area along with Jane's Addiction and Pantera.

• 2023 Gold Donors

To me all the music categories are classic rock.I'm not asking for every modern rock category to be broken down like that,Just add Modern Rock as a category.

And active rock stations are like top 40 stations.They play what's new.That doesn't mean they're not playing groups from 10 years ago because their music isn't modern enough.Avenged Sevenfold has the top song right now and they've been around over 10 years.And their music sounds pretty similar to what it did 10 years ago.

Yes,I know Red Hot Chili Peppers came out in the mid 80's but their popularity didn't start until Mother's Milk.They;'re in a grey area along with Jane's Addiction and Pantera.

Not really. RHCP were an alternative funk rock band. Janes Addiction were an alternative band. Pantera started out as a glam band then went metal. None of them are modern in any way shape or form.

As for AX7, they are a metal band, pure and simple. They have changed significantly from their early days when they were a shouty band with touches of Iron Maiden, which is why they are now MORE popular than 10 years ago. My betting, and point is, that although they are playing AX7 now, I bet they rarely played them, if played them at all in the early years. And popularity is where its at with these rock stations, so a band like BFS who were considered part of the "modern" punk pop movement years ago, and are still going, probably never get played anymore.

I still maintain that there is no such thing as "modern" rock, and that most bands mentioned will (and in most cases already are) be discussed in an appropriate forum if they fit it.

Nickleback is a hard rock band, Hinder is a hard rock band, Halestorm is a hard rock band, AX7 is a metal band etc etc etc

Hey Glen,it's 2014 ! Maybe it's time for HH to start talkin' about modern rock more and fillin' up that data base !

I know full well what year it is, but i dont run this site.

Ive been talking about modern rock on here since the day I joined.

The truth is that aside from a few (like 4-5) posters there is very little interest in most of the threads.

Just saying.

Anything which comes close to the usual HH material - ie Hinder, Daughtry, Shinedown etc usually gets discussed under AOR / Hard rock in any case.

Cheers

Exactly. To me most of those bands are hard rock, nothing more, nothing less.

Halestorm & Hinder would be viewed as "modern" rock by some, but to me they are hard rock ... pure and simple.

Other bands which dont fall into that category, whether they be old bands like RHCP or newer acts like Papa Roach, well why create a forum for their style if its gonna get next to no traffic? Thats why they fit nicely into Other music styles, because if you created a pop forum, a jazz forum, a techno forum etc etc etc, we would have forums that have similar traffic.

This site attracts people here because of the (and I hate this term) classic rock bands, and the other music styles forum is there as a benefit, not an entitlement.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I'm sure we can debate every group to decide where they fit in and I might agree with you on many or most of them.The point is something you just brought up,why start a new category if it gets no traffic.I think Modern Rock would get a fair amount of traffic if given its own category .Like I've said before,putting groups,like Halestorm,into AOR or Hard Rock will probably get no posts because they would get lost among other groups.Just look at the categories and you'll see that AOR and Hard Rock has more topics and replies than all the other groups combined ! That's where the traffic is.Take Prog Rock-114 topics in 6 1/2 years and 113 topics in the same time frame for Christian Rock.That's not even 2 topics a month for those categories.

Like Glen said most of the newer bands get discussed in the AOR/Hard Rock category but that category is inundated with topics and replies.Why not break it up a little.And let's find out who's listening to modern rock.I know in 2013 Avenged Sevenfold and Five Finger Death Punch put out great CD's,certainly worthy of being mentioned in any top 5 list.I know they made mine !

Like I've said before,putting groups,like Halestorm,into AOR or Hard Rock will probably get no posts because they would get lost among other groups

Really?

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=31338&hl=halestorm

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28337&hl=halestorm

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20759&page=1

Yep, they get lost and nobody discusses them

Like I've said before,putting groups,like Halestorm,into AOR or Hard Rock will probably get no posts because they would get lost among other groups

Really?

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=31338&hl=halestorm

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=28337&hl=halestorm

http://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=20759&page=1

Yep, they get lost and nobody discusses them

Yeah, let's not mention Halestorm again...

Who?