The Crow re-boot

66 mustang

Tom Hiddleston may be flying from super villain to superhero, as "The Avengers" star is in early discussions to play Eric Draven in Relativity Media's reimagining of "The Crow," individuals close to the project have told TheWrap.

Based on the James O'Barr comic book series that was previously adapted as a 1994 Miramax movie starring Brandon Lee, "The Crow" follows a man who returns from beyond the grave to avenge his death.

Also Read: 5 Breakout Movie Stars of Summer 2013

Ed Pressman of Pressman Film and Kevin Misher of Misher Films are producing with Relativity CEO Ryan Kavanaugh and Jeff Most. Dan Farah of Farah Films will executive produce with Relativity's Tucker Tooley.

Hiddleston recently had dinner with producers and sent them a makeup test that he did on his own in London. He will undergo a proper makeup test in the coming days, as the character's appearance is important to fans of the franchise, who should be delighted with the casting of a major member of the Marvel universe.

Acclaimed Spanish filmmaker F. Javier Gutierrez ("Before the Fall") is directing "The Crow" from a script by Cliff Dorfman ("Warrior"), though it's possible that other writers will be credited as well.

Production is tentatively scheduled to begin this fall, though the timetable could move slightly depending on several factors.

Also Read: Fading A-Lists, Killer Comedies, Where are the Women and Minorities: 5 Things We Learned at CinemaCon

O'Barr wrote "The Crow" to help him deal with the death of his girlfriend, and it's the story's emotional component that sets it apart from other comic book properties. Hiddleston appealed to producers who were enamored with his ability to project both a light and dark side. He has also displayed gifted physical talents as the villainous Loki in "The Avengers," as well as impressive dramatic chops in the acclaimed indie film "The Deep Blue Sea."

In addition to his turns in "Thor," "The Avengers" and upcoming Marvel sequel "Thor: The Dark World," Hiddleston has worked with top directors such as Steven Spielberg on "War Horse," Woody Allen on "Midnight in Paris" and Jim Jarmusch in "Only Lovers Left Alive." He is also attached to play photographer Robert Capa in an upcoming biopic.

Hiddleston is repped by WME, manager Jon Rubinstein, Hamilton Hodell and attorney Jodi Peikoff. Gutierrez, who is managed by Farah, signed with WME's Dan Aloni and Ari Emanuel earlier this week

Meh. Aside from the first film w/Brandon Lee, the whole "Crow" film franchise has pretty much sucked eggs. They can't possibly screw it up worse than it already has been.

Meh. Aside from the first film w/Brandon Lee, the whole "Crow" film franchise has pretty much sucked eggs. They can't possibly screw it up worse than it already has been.

True.. But please don't tempt them??? I actually did watch the first sequel.. City of Angels I think?? And I STILL want those 90 plus minutes of My life back....

What everyone else has said ... and then some. The original film was pretty good ... why fix what ain't broke? Of course, if Hollywood would like to re-do any of the sequels and make THEM into decent films ... ;)

What everyone else has said ... and then some. The original film was pretty good ... why fix what ain't broke? Of course, if Hollywood would like to re-do any of the sequels and make THEM into decent films ... ;)

Yep, what a waste of time and effort. There are loads of really good comics (and novels) out there that haven't been made into films, so why bother 'rebooting' one that is already a decent film? Or what about remaking some of the ones that have been completely f***ed up, like 'A History of Violence', 'Spawn' or 'Ghost Rider'? :(

Yep, what a waste of time and effort. There are loads of really good comics (and novels) out there that haven't been made into films, so why bother 'rebooting' one that is already a decent film? Or what about remaking some of the ones that have been completely f***ed up, like 'A History of Violence', 'Spawn' or 'Ghost Rider'? :(

Constantine ... with Sean Bean in the title role. I think even Hugh Grant would make a better John Constantine than Keanu Reeves :)

Constantine ... with Sean Bean in the title role. I think even Hugh Grant would make a better John Constantine than Keanu Reeves :)

Hugh Grant as John Constantine would be f***ing hilarious!!!

:rofl:

Just what the character was missing - an air of foppish, public school charm :)

• 1 month later...

uh...what?

Thought that movie ruled!

Admit though, Bean would be great. Perhaps continue, using him, since Reeves has opted out?

I would like to see SGT. ROCK come to life on the screen. Gi Joe is just terrible...maybe let Tarantino direct a SGT. ROCK movie?

They were darker comics, anyway. Good stuff.

I would like to see SGT. ROCK come to life on the screen. Gi Joe is just terrible...maybe let Tarantino direct a SGT. ROCK movie?

A SGT. ROCK movie has been kickin' around Hollywood for what seems like decades. I remember hearing once long ago that Arnold Schwarzenegger was interested in playing Rock, then years later Bruce Willis was supposedly attached to it, but it looks like one of those movies that's destined to remain trapped in Development Hell.