The HH Brewmaster's Club

KarpetRydOFunk

• My Little Pony

Damn, thing deleted itself. Here I go a second time.

Here's the official HH homebrewer's thread. My goal with this thread is for any of us brewmasters to share recipes and results. I understand this could simply end up being another place for Geoff and I to rack up post counts, but my hope is that others will be encouraged and inspired to try new recipes, and that this may also welcome members into the craft. I understand how pretentious that may sound, considering I have only just begun my second batch. Anyway, let us get to it.

Here's my first batch:

Mo' Brau IPA

17kg Coopers IPA

1kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2

My original S.G. was 1.040, and, with a final S.G. reading at 1.010, I ended up with an IPA at a pathetic 3.9% ABV. It's been exactly 4 weeks since bottling, and I've definitely noticed an improvement.

I just started a new batch:

Mo' Brau Real Ale

2 x 17kg Coopers Real Ale

I went real basic with this one. I decided I need a control for all my future alterations. How will I know if something is truly better, if I don't know what it's like in its simplest form? However, I did use two cans. It yielded an original S.G. of 1.047, so I'm hoping this one will hit the 5% ABV.

I might need another carboy, 'cause I'd like to get one more batch ready that would be appropriate for Christmas/Winter consumption.

• My Little Pony

I've got a buddy that is huge into homebrewing, it's always been something I've wanted to try but never really gotten into.

It's ridiculously easy, and so bloody cheap. I don't think I'll ever go back to buying beer. Well, not to the degree I used to.

Dood, sorry for being a schmuck, but what's "17kg Coopers IPA" exactly?

I've got a log book here at home so I'll go through it soon and jot down some of my recipes and results so far.

And Rick, I must agree with Karpetface, get into it. Very easy, and aside from the bottling it takes no time at all. And I must say, the satisfaction in drinking your own well crafted beer... it's really very rewarding.

...the satisfaction in drinking your own well crafted beer... it's really very rewarding.

In other words: I'm drinking beer more than ever... :drink:

You know it. And it's barely costing me a thing either. ;)

• My Little Pony

https://store.coopers.com.au/shop/product/DBK904/

• My Little Pony

https://store.cooper...product/DBK904/

1.7kg - that makes sense. I was all like, 17kg? WTF?

Oh, yeah. I was really tired and frustrated, I'm surprised I even managed to post altogether. I think I'm gonna brew a Julebryg next. Something to keep me warm through the Winter.

• 1 month later...
  • My Little Pony

So the Real Ale turned out great! I wasn't expecting it to be this good, as all I used were the two cans, but damn...

Anyway, on the weekend I started a new batch, which I just racked into a carboy:

Mo' Brau RIS

1.7kg Coopers Stout

1.7kg Coopers Dark Ale

1.7kg Coopers Lager

1kg Dextrose

I grabbed this recipe from the Coopers site. It's dark as sin, and tastes just as good. And it's still a long way from consumption.

:lol: What the f*ck?! You're a madman! I would love to taste them and see what the hell they taste like. Won't that concoction be sweet as hell? So much syrup. I was speaking to my mate about the double syrup thing the other day too, and he was all like wtf too. Glad to hear it works.

Anyway, I've been slack in this thread. Here's my summary so far:

1. Coopers Lager

1.7kg Coopers Lager

1kg Brew Enhancer

Result was a nice, typical lager. Not amazing, but a real nice start to my brewing. Crisp and fizzy, it was.

2. Coopers Pale Ale

1.7kg Coopers Aust Pale Ale

1kg Brew Enhancer 2

Once I let it settle for a few more weeks, around 4-6, it was nice, but not an overly distinct pale ale. More like a nice tasting lager.

3. Canadian Blonde

1.7kg Coopers Canadian Blonde

1kg Brew Enhancer 1

Weakest brew yet. Didn't come up very fizzy at all and the taste was the weakest of the 3 brews to this point. And the last bottles I bottled were sickly sweet - too sweet to drink. Not a great brew at all, but drinkable. :)

4. Fat Yak Pale Ale

1.7kg Wal's Pale Ale

1kg of Euro Blend Sugar

150g of Crystal Grain

12g of Amarillo Finishing Hops

Best brew yet - most distinct tasting Pale Ale to date. Really quite a delight.

5. My Own Pale Ale Mix

1kg Brew Enhancer 2

150g of Caramunich Type 2 Grain

12g of Pride of Ringwood Finishing Hops

This is what I'm drinking now. It's nice but not as fabulous as the last one. Everything's fine, but the taste is definitely not as distinct as the last one. It tastes more like the Coopers Pale Ale I did earlier than a stronger pale ale, which I thought the inclusion of the grain and hops would accommodate. Like I said, a good drop but I was hoping to at least match my last one.

6. My Own Pale Ale Mix

1kg Dextrose

150g of Caramunich Type 3 Grain

12g of Pride of Ringwood Finishing Hops

Haven't tasted this yet, but I wonder if it'll be similar to my current batch? Will find out soon.

6. James Squire Amber Ale (roughly)

1kg Brewing Sugar

150g of Vienna Grain

12g of Amarillo Finishing Hops

This one was brewed at a real high temperature and never really dropped much, and I had troubles getting a matching specific gravity at the end too. Could be a disaster, but maybe it turns out great. Will definitely try this recipe with a Wal's Pale Ale at one point.