FM - Only Foolin' EP & Rockville album (and part 2)

Stefan

Both albums are 'ok' but wow FM are safe as houses these days.

They would have done better to pick the 10 best songs and just a single album imo.

They would have done better to pick the 10 best songs and just a single album imo.

I keep hearing the 'Playing It Safe' card and I am struggling a bit to understand what some people are really expecting from an FM album . Sticking to what they do best without pushing any boundaries maybe? FM have never ever been about that throughout their whole career and I can also reel off a whole heap of bands we all like over hear that do exactly the same thing time after time. Just a thought.

I keep hearing the 'Playing It Safe' card and I am struggling a bit to understand what some people are really expecting from an FM album . Sticking to what they do best without pushing any boundaries maybe? FM have never ever been about that throughout their whole career and I can also reel off a whole heap of bands we all like over hear that do exactly the same thing time after time. Just a thought.

Wow it's getting difficult to express an opinion around here lol ;-))

Anyways, these albums are both fine, it's just that quite a few songs lack spark. It's just v safe AOR. I know this is what we come to expect from FM these days but I keep hoping maybe they can pull out something a bit more like Tough It Out which was brilliant.

Wow it's getting difficult to express an opinion around here lol ;-))

Anyways, these albums are both fine, it's just that quite a few songs lack spark. It's just v safe AOR. I know this is what we come to expect from FM these days but I keep hoping maybe they can pull out something a bit more like Tough It Out which was brilliant.

Not difficult at all , just not clear exactly what' Safe' actually means when people bandy it about that's all. Just asking for clarification..

The 'Tough It Out' days are well over as we all know, and listening to that album now, great as it still is, it is of it's time I think, production wise especially. I still think the songwriting is generally still there, but with a more mature sound these days. Bands quite rightly move on.

I think this is safe as hell too, but I probably have a different view of what safe is. I just think what I have heard of the first disc is very polite, no risks, no big anthemic choruses, or songs that really attempt to match some brilliance they have offered before, on 'Tough it out,' for instance. No one can expect a 2nd version of that CD, but being so restrained is also not going to get them any sexts from new fans. I can appreciate this is what some people expect from FM, and nothing more, but albums like Loverboy's 'Just getting started,' as a random example, show just how successful a well oiled machine can be when they decide not to be so safe.

I liked a few songs off the first album and will hear the 2nd asap. As I said above, though, I think in most cases the verses were better than the chorus, which is a real dilemma.

I used to love FM, but kinda gave up on them and havent bought anything by them since their reunion.

I thought that the "final" FM albums, Dead mans shoes & Paraphanalia were pretty dull, and pretty much everything I have heard connected to the band since then (So!, Shadowman etc) have failed to excite me.

The fact that they re-recorded a So! song for this set pretty much makes me think that if I laid out cash for these albums they would be gathering as much dust as everything else from Dead mans shoes onwards.

I really would love to pick up an FM album again and go "wow, I love it", just like I used to do with the likes of Tough it out, Takin it to the streets and Aphrodisiac, but I pretty much know its never gonna happen again.

Maybe I will see if I can find them on Spotify, or listen to some Youtube clips, but with so much other music to check out, I dont see it as a priority anymore, which saddens me considering how I used to feel about them.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...