WRATHCHILD (America) 1984 Demo Tune

LV KIX

Here is a early tune from Baltimore's own WRATHCHILD (later Wrathchild America) from 1984. This song is from before the band went thrash and added the "America" to their name. It is hard to believe this song is nearly 30 years old. If you listen carefully you can hear the KIX influence in this song. This was pretty typical of most early 80's metal / glam bands from Baltimore during this period.

I though some of you here might like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNUnvT89J7M&feature=related

Pretty good stuff. I do hear some KIX influence, but the riffs are a lil' more metallic sounding than Kix.

I think I may like that better than their thrash era stuff. I had the CLIMBIN' THE WALLS CD years ago but traded it off cuz I never listened to it, thought it was fairly generic stuff. (The cover of Pink Floyd's "Time" and the song "No Deposit, No Return" were pretty cool though. Dammit, now I wish I had that CD back so I could listen to those two songs. I hate when I do that!! Haha.)

I remember reading quite a few reviews of that album where the band were accused of "jumping on the thrash bandwagon" in order to get signed.

After seeing them live at the Empire Rock club a bunch of times, I thought they were going to be the next band to become huge, still one of my favorite live bands of all time. A great mix of hard rock ala kix with a kinda thrashy vibe. I was really disappointed when I heard the first cd, seems like it was all over the place and the live show didn't cross over to the cd. Still, a great band I would love to see a reunion show.

After seeing them live at the Empire Rock club a bunch of times, I thought they were going to be the next band to become huge, still one of my favorite live bands of all time. A great mix of hard rock ala kix with a kinda thrashy vibe. I was really disappointed when I heard the first cd, seems like it was all over the place and the live show didn't cross over to the cd. Still, a great band I would love to see a reunion show.

There is actually talk of a possible one show reunion. It is a bit hard now as Shannon (drums) is with Godsmack and Terry (guitar) is with the country act Big And Rich. I'd love a reunion and would be there for sure. When Pantera was more of a hard rock / glam band they would open shows for Wrathchild in the Maryland area and in Texas Wrathchild would open for Pantera. Then both bands headed down a heavier path at about the same time. Pantera continued to open for Wrathchild in Maryland and viceversa. Then... out of nowhere Pantera becomes huge and Wrathchild is opening for Pantera even in Maryland. Cool times back then. There will never be a time like that again.

Pretty good stuff. I do hear some KIX influence, but the riffs are a lil' more metallic sounding than Kix.

I think I may like that better than their thrash era stuff. I had the CLIMBIN' THE WALLS CD years ago but traded it off cuz I never listened to it, thought it was fairly generic stuff. (The cover of Pink Floyd's "Time" and the song "No Deposit, No Return" were pretty cool though. Dammit, now I wish I had that CD back so I could listen to those two songs. I hate when I do that!! Haha.)

I remember reading quite a few reviews of that album where the band were accused of "jumping on the thrash bandwagon" in order to get signed.

Keef... You really should pick up the "Climbing The Walls" release again. There really is some good stuff on there. It would be interesting to see if you change your view of the release after all these years. I've always though Wrathchild's songs were much more thought provoking that most 'thrash" bands.

WRATCHILD AMERICA - Hell's Gates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u2ti56iDVo&feature=related

great stuff, saw them multiple times in portland maine at the free street pub...also remember the news show west 57th doing a story on them...and didnt brad join kix for a multisecond on the 2nd cd.

Keef... You really should pick up the "Climbing The Walls" release again. There really is some good stuff on there.

I haven't seen a copy of it in years, but hey, if I ever stumble across one again, I just might.

great stuff, saw them multiple times in portland maine at the free street pub...also remember the news show west 57th doing a story on them...and didnt brad join kix for a multisecond on the 2nd cd.

Well... Brad did fill in for Ronnie on the second KIX release. We'll just say that Ronnie "took a leave of absence" to get some things sorted out.

That's a very cool song. If they would have released a full album like that I would still own it. I had the cassette of Climbin' The Walls and got rid of it, then picked up the cd to give it another chance and still didn't care for it. To bad they didn't keep the style heard here.

• 1 month later...