Trixter: "New Audio Machine" review

My review of one of the more anticipated comeback albums of 2012, Trixer's "New Audio Machine," is now available over at Hardrock Haven. Click the link below to check it out:

Trixter review

Pretty solid stuff mixed with some filler, but definitely not the classic we all hoped for.

If I were to break it down, I believe I would say 5 excellent songs, 2 decent ones, and 4 fillers. A good album, sure, but not a great one.

After looking over the tracks again I'd say Physical Attraction is the only tune that I'm not crazy about. I really like Machine and Dirty Love and the Snake Sabo cowrite Walk with a Stranger is really good too and there are several others I dig but need more spins. Production is great too.

A pretty fair review, and agree about the production and great guitar work (and tone). Weak vocals though, they're mostly just flat, and sooooo many fillers. For me a 7/10 album is worth getting, and I don't think it is worth getting (if you can download "Tattoos and Misery") so would give it slightly less...

A pretty fair review, and agree about the production and great guitar work (and tone). Weak vocals though, they're mostly just flat, and sooooo many fillers. For me a 7/10 album is worth getting, and I don't think it is worth getting (if you can download "Tattoos and Misery") so would give it slightly less.

Yeah, I really like the beef and punch on the guitars and production--this thing sounds really good! Personally, I thought Loran sounded just fine, so I wouldn't call his vocals weak. And for me, a 7/10 rating means the album just crosses the line into worthiness territory...anything less than that usually means I wouldn't bother. In my mind, despite its flaws, this CD is worth owning, though you will definitely need to use the Skip button more than once or twice.

A pretty fair review, and agree about the production and great guitar work (and tone). Weak vocals though, they're mostly just flat, and sooooo many fillers. For me a 7/10 album is worth getting, and I don't think it is worth getting (if you can download "Tattoos and Misery") so would give it slightly less.

Yeah, I really like the beef and punch on the guitars and production--this thing sounds really good! Personally, I thought Loran sounded just fine, so I wouldn't call his vocals weak. And for me, a 7/10 rating means the album just crosses the line into worthiness territory...anything less than that usually means I wouldn't bother. In my mind, despite its flaws, this CD is worth owning, though you will definitely need to use the Skip button more than once or twice.

so, is this part Trixter and part 40ft Ringo? if so and I go into it with that expectation I will love this

so, is this part Trixter and part 40ft Ringo? if so and I go into it with that expectation I will love this

I don't get as much 40ft Ringo myself. I hear a really good Trixter album with an updated production. The only tune I don't care for much is "Physical Attraction" but besides that there all winners to my ears with at least six great songs to me. Also love the acoustic bonues track of "Heart of Steel". "Dirty Love" is one of my fav songs of the year so far. I recommend this disc to any fan of melodic hard rock and any Trixter fans. Oh yeah Pete Loran sounds fine to me especially when you consider he hasn't sung much in the last 20 years and top of that who still sounds like their 20 when their into their 40's? I can only think of RJD that still sounded great as he got older but that's jut my opinion.

I take a 7/10 rating to be 'average', even slightly below average rating...and I really don't see this as being an average release. I enjoyed the heck out of it, even through the 'filler' songs...which is such a cliche to a reviewer, I think. What is 'filler' anyway?? lol

To me, the record retains the hard rock sound that they were best known for, while I would have liked for Loran to hit a few of those trademark upper register notes, it didn't really detract from my listening experience. Maybe some of the 'less exciting' tunes are considered 'filler'...but even those had a nice melody to wrap your ears around. Sometimes I think people get spoiled by all of the releases nowadays and are a bit more 'selective' in what they'll consider they like 'a lot'...but if people would have heard this release even 10 years ago they would be giving rave reviews. I would rate the album slightly higher at an 8 or 8.5 out of 10...definitely worthy of a 'B' rating.

I take a 7/10 rating to be 'average', even slightly below average rating...and I really don't see this as being an average release. I enjoyed the heck out of it, even through the 'filler' songs...which is such a cliche to a reviewer, I think. What is 'filler' anyway?? lol

To me, the record retains the hard rock sound that they were best known for, while I would have liked for Loran to hit a few of those trademark upper register notes, it didn't really detract from my listening experience. Maybe some of the 'less exciting' tunes are considered 'filler'...but even those had a nice melody to wrap your ears around. Sometimes I think people get spoiled by all of the releases nowadays and are a bit more 'selective' in what they'll consider they like 'a lot'...but if people would have heard this release even 10 years ago they would be giving rave reviews. I would rate the album slightly higher at an 8 or 8.5 out of 10...definitely worthy of a 'B' rating.

Couldn't have said it better myself. I love this disc!

I am paid to review CDs as a whole, not individual tracks. I would not properly be performing my job as a critic if I ignored the dross and only focused on the gold. Yes, there are several songs that I would rate much higher than 7/10, and there are also songs that I would rate much lower; hence, the album's rating averages out to 7/10. I will note that my rating would have been higher had my promo copy included the bonus track "Find a Memory," which is a really good track. Had that been included for review purposes, I would have probably nudged my rating up to 7.5/10. But I only review what the label provides and Frontiers almost never includes bonus tracks in their promotional materials.

I like this album...or, at least, I like SOME of this album. With the filler--or less exciting, to use your preferred terminology--songs stripped out of the mix, this is easily an 8.5/10 effort, but with them present, I consider my rating more than fair. But that's all it is--my rating. I certainly don't think I am the final authority on an album's worth. I am paid to give my opinion and so I do...but in the end, that's all it is--one man's opinion. B)

I love ya, Mark...but that's why I had to provide a 'different' view, because it would be a shame for people not to get this disc based on an average review. I would recommend this disc to peeps, for sure.....

And, yes....we're all old enough to know that every man's opinion is different than the next. I totally agree...and I totally respect your opinion. I wasn't trying to diss you (and I know you know that), but was definitely trying to offer another perspective from someone who has been in this game for a VERY long time. lol

I love ya, Mark...but that's why I had to provide a 'different' view, because it would be a shame for people not to get this disc based on an average review. I would recommend this disc to peeps, for sure.....

And, yes....we're all old enough to know that every man's opinion is different than the next. I totally agree...and I totally respect your opinion. I wasn't trying to diss you (and I know you know that), but was definitely trying to offer another perspective from someone who has been in this game for a VERY long time. lol

Don't worry, Jim, I don't feel dissed at all. ;) And I respect your opinion as much as you respect mine. This forum is a place for discussion of the music we all enjoy and that's all this is--discussion. I certainly would recommend this album to anyone as well...I would just tell them to expect a "good" album rather than a "great" one.

Don't worry, Jim, I don't feel dissed at all. ;) And I respect your opinion as much as you respect mine. This forum is a place for discussion of the music we all enjoy and that's all this is--discussion. I certainly would recommend this album to anyone as well...I would just tell them to expect a "good" album rather than a "great" one.

Is a tricky one though, as people are always gonna have different opinions and one mans filler is another mans favourite. Just have to describe the sound/style of the disc and inform rather than shove an opinion down someone's throat (like the awful Powerplay mag does). Sadly I didn't get to read your review before I'd ordered this!

After two spins I'd pretty much agree with everything you said in your review (nicely written by the way, with a good dose of humor! :D ), but to my ears 'Get it on' is one of those fillers.

I was hoping for some more complex songs like they did on 'Hear!' as I've always loved their bridges and pre-chorus' parts. Anyway great to have these guys back and here's hoping for some more albums by Trixter!

Given the energy and production of this disc I'd actually buy a copy of their re-recorded debut album if they'd ever consider doing this.

wow, this is a monster of an album. I can hear classic Trixter in this, you just have to catch it and know what to listen for, but they have also grown from the teen (early) years. I think if it hadnt been 20 years since we heard stuff from these guys the sound of this album wouldn't be so different from what we knew. that is 20 years of growing and changing that we didn't really get to hear. I think that this album is just smoking. I have one low spot for me on the disc and that would be the song Physical Attraction, it just doesn't do much for me. The rest of the album I just love. listen to it 3 times straight. can't remember the last time, wait, maybe the new Jack Blades I listen to 3 times straight too, but that is rare now a days. Serious, I love the way they have the classic Trixter sound mixed in here with growth the guys have done. first time I did't really hear it. I was like "if you put this on and made me guess I'd never guess Trixter. the more I listen the more it is just a great TRIXTER album. I will give it a solid A

wow, this is a monster of an album. I can hear classic Trixter in this, you just have to catch it and know what to listen for, but they have also grown from the teen years. I think if it hand been 20 years since we heard stuff from these guys the sound of this album wouldn't be so different from what we knew. that is 20 years of growing and changing that we didn't really get to hear. It think that this album is just smoking. I have one low spot for me on the disc and that would be the song Physical Attraction, it just doesn't do much for me. The rest of the album I just love. listen to it 3 times straight. can't remember the last time, wait, maybe the new Jack Blades I listen to 3 times straight too, but that is rare now a days. Serious, I love the way they have the classic Trixter sound mixed in here with growth. first time I did't really hear it. I was like "if you put this on and made me guess I'd never guess Trixter. the more I

listen the more it is just a great TRIXTER album. I will give it a solid A

Backed on everything you said.

I'll be interested to see how this one grows on me.

I didn't dislike any of the first 4 songs, but I have to admit they're all pretty standard hard rockers. They're the kind of songs they'd have put inbetween gems like 'Heart of steel,' 'One in a million' and 'Only young once' in the olden days. Because although Trixter's first 2 albums are brilliant and feature some KILLER tracks, they have always been prone to a filler or two.

I just wasn't expecting 4 of their weaker songs to start the disc. That said, 'Machine' and even 'Dirty love' are pretty cool. Just very standard. 'Ride,' 'Physical attraction' and 'Save your soul' were all pretty similar too. Not bad tracks at all... just solid, but not excellent hard rock.

However, I did love 'The coolest thing' which is the closest the disc gets to Steve Brown's modern projects. Great track. 'Live for the day' is a corny, but nice ballad, 'Tattoos and misery' is obviously awesome, but how good is the closer?!!! LOVE 'Walk with a stranger' and the new version of 'Heart of steel' is well worth the effort too.

First impression is of cautious enjoyment. I think the more standard tracks outweigh the straight gems, but like I said, there's nothing really crap on here. I hope and expect the lesser tracks to grow on me and I'll revisit it soon. Quick assessment is it's worth the punt. Just wish there were a few of their trademark commercial gems on here.