Flotsam & Jetsam frontman's son on "American Idol"

Fat Freddy

I haven't watched this show in a couple of years now but saw this story on Blabbermouth today and thought it was kinda cool...

During tonight's (Wednesday, February 22) episode of the Fox singing competition "American Idol", it was revealed that contestant Creighton Fraker is the biological son of FLOTSAM AND JETSAM singer Eric "A.K." Knutson.

Fraker has resided in Astoria, New York for the past eight years, although he grew up in South Dakota as the adopted son of a preacher.

In an interview that aired on "American idol", Fraker said, "I was adopted when I was just a little baby and I grew up as a preacher's kid, singing church music. And then, I always had this rock and roll thing going on in me and it was kind of out of nowhere. Come to find out my birth father, who I never even knew until I was, like, 25 years old, was the lead singer of this big heavy metal band from the '80s called FLOTSAM AND JETSAM. I meet my dad and I'm like 'Oh, I get it, Fine. OK, It makes sense now.'"

Fraker went on to say that Knutson is "the person who really inspired me to audition for this," adding that, "He's a person whose opinion I can respect, so if he says I should be doing this, I guess, OK, I'm gonna do it."

After Fraker made the final 24, his birth dad said, "I've always hoped I would have a part in his life. I just can't wait for the rest of [his] career to start right now."

Father & Son...

flotsamson.jpg

I haven't watched this show in a couple of years now but saw this story on Blabbermouth today and thought it was kinda cool...

During tonight's (Wednesday, February 22) episode of the Fox singing competition "American Idol", it was revealed that contestant Creighton Fraker is the biological son of FLOTSAM AND JETSAM singer Eric "A.K." Knutson.

Fraker has resided in Astoria, New York for the past eight years, although he grew up in South Dakota as the adopted son of a preacher.

In an interview that aired on "American idol", Fraker said, "I was adopted when I was just a little baby and I grew up as a preacher's kid, singing church music. And then, I always had this rock and roll thing going on in me and it was kind of out of nowhere. Come to find out my birth father, who I never even knew until I was, like, 25 years old, was the lead singer of this big heavy metal band from the '80s called FLOTSAM AND JETSAM. I meet my dad and I'm like 'Oh, I get it, Fine. OK, It makes sense now.'"

Fraker went on to say that Knutson is "the person who really inspired me to audition for this," adding that, "He's a person whose opinion I can respect, so if he says I should be doing this, I guess, OK, I'm gonna do it."

After Fraker made the final 24, his birth dad said, "I've always hoped I would have a part in his life. I just can't wait for the rest of [his] career to start right now."

Father & Son...

flotsamson.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urxfvmmURJM

• 4 weeks later...

Did he make it into the top 24 ?

LOL What they left out was Eric actually told him "The music business is dead ... the only way to 'make it' is if you go on a show like American Idol.Otherwise there's no point in even trying."

And yes, I believe he did make the Top 24.

Erm ... it says that in the opening post, doesn't it? Or am I missing something?

He didn't make the final few, apparently. And Steven Tyler described one of his performances as 'stupendous'.

I do really despair that the human race has come to this though; American Idol, Britain's Got Talent, Dancing On Ice, Big Brother, X Factor, etc etc etc. :doh:

Shame he didn't follow in his Dad's footsteps and front an awesome and ground-breaking thrash metal band...