Stuff You Missed When it was First Released

Grey

No doubt you miss some good stuff when it comes out. Much of what we like around here isn't mainstream and you might not find out about it until it's a few years old. I find most of what I like through recommendations here, but not every release gets a topic, or sometimes it gets missed. By the time you find it, it's not worth a new topic.

I just discovered Shakra's 2009 album "Everest" after hearing "Anybody Out There" on Last.fm and I'm loving it. If it were new, it would easily be my favorite release of '11. I just checked HH's "best of" list for '09 and it only made it as an "also ran". That's probably why I never listened sooner.

Find any older gems recently?

I don't think I've actually honestly missed a great new album within out genres in a long time, as it's such a small market comparatively and I kind of get to hear at least a snippet of most all that's released.

Modern rock, however, is a totally different ball-game. A lot of the best stuff I've discovered in modern rock is often a year or more after it's release...

I honestly have missed a lot especially the 80s days, because i started to hear this genre in 1990-1991 and back then in my home town, it's almost impossible to buy CDs but tapes, and it's incomplete. So i get to know lots of bands in 1997-1998, when peer-to-peer download (like Napster and Audiogalaxy) being introduced, and started piling on CDR trading in 2002-2005.

But nowadays, I think since 2006-2007, with albums floating around everywhere on the net, I hardly missed any newer or even older releases, and slowly I'm getting all the good releases of the past to fill in my collection.

I didn't discover the BLUE TEARS debut until about 1999 or 2000. MAJOR travesty as it is one of the finest melodic rock CD's ever recorded in my opinion. I sure could have used that one during those long, cold years from 1992 - 1995.

My favorite album of all time in the genre, hey bro, let me tell you how fast MCA cut Blue Tears, the local rock station in Salt Lake KBER, they played everything, They were still playing Rocking With The Radio, and started playing Crush as the new single when I first heard Blue Tears, in 1990, I went to buy the cd, and every music store I went to didn't have it(anymore)and told me they could no longer order it because it was cut out! so it was literally cut out as fast as it was released, so you shouldn't be all that surprised you never caught onto it, as with many bands of this genre that were unlucky enough to release debuts, and small label releases at the onslaught of Nirvana, many awesome and elite albums were sent into oblivion in this time period in music history.and the primary reason anyone got to hear about them at all, is because of the internet, I sit and think of all the music id miss out on, and just plain missed, had it not been for the internet, and it truly boggles my fucking mind, and makes me just beyond words tripped out!!

I would say at least 50% of the CDs I have I missed when they were released. I have spent years away from rock and metal, then coming back to the fold, so I had a lot of stuff to catch up on. Also, I don't often buy new releases.

The best recent example is Shy, who I had never listened to until this year. Awesome band, not sure how I missed them for so long.

I would say at least 50% of the CDs I have I missed when they were released. I have spent years away from rock and metal, then coming back to the fold, so I had a lot of stuff to catch up on. Also, I don't often buy new releases.

The best recent example is Shy, who I had never listened to until this year. Awesome band, not sure how I missed them for so long.

You spent years away from rock and metal? what did you decide to go gangsta? and follow gangsta rap? or did you go country? sorry im just really curious as to this remark? is it something you can explain?

Lord, I could go on all day! It seems like I'm constantly finding out about bands I "missed" back in the day. A few off the top of my head...

I only discovered Helstar within the last five or six years, cuz James Rivera was singing for Seven Witches at the time. I dug what he was doin' in S.W. so I started digging into his past stuff. When I heard Helstar's BURNING STAR I was like "Holy sh*t! Where has this band been my whole life?"

Ditto for Liege Lord - checked them out due to their connection with two of my other faves, Overkill and Annihilator (Joe Comeau had been LL's vocalist on their third & final album, MASTER CONTROL, before going on to play guitar in Overkill and sing on a couple of Annihilator albums).

Here's another one. I picked up Shy's MISSPENT YOUTH at a thrift shop just a couple of months ago, simply because I heard their name being mentioned around on this forum quite often. Pretty good stuff, I dig it.

You spent years away from rock and metal? what did you decide to go gangsta? and follow gangsta rap? or did you go country? sorry im just really curious as to this remark? is it something you can explain?

It is, but I'm quite ashamed of my 'wilderness years'. I got really into Indie music (Manchester-type stuff) and then dance and then ... well, it got worse. Not sure why it happened and I'm not proud of it. Maybe I was just trying to be cool (but I doubt it).

The up side is that I appreciate rock and metal more than ever now. The originality and songwriting in rock and metal is, in my opinion, far superior to most other genres of music.