Complete douchebaggery from Econecting-Music.eu and Davy Vain

heavyharmonies

I just posted this over at MR in reply to someone referring to the Vain sound samples at HH, which I have now removed:

I've taken the samples down.

I'm more than a little pissed at Connecting-Music and to a lesser extent Davy Vain at the moment.

I've been doing this a LONG time, and have not varied the manner of samples I have posted in almost a decade for people to decide if they want to buy a CD: 1-minute samples starting in the middle of the song. I have had blanket agreements with Frontiers, MTM (when they were active), Perris, and several other labels to put up samples from all tracks of their releases, not just new ones. When promotions companies send me promotional CD/files I treat them all the same way.

I have NEVER received a complaint from any record label, promotions firm, or band about the samples... until now... and it's not the fact that there was a complaint, but the MANNER in which the artist and his promotions company handled this communication.

The samples I posted come from Connecting-Music.eu, the same place I get all the samples from Escape Music, Avenue of Allies, and several other labels. There was NO admonition or conditions posted that this Vain release had to be treated ANY differently from the other albums I get promotions materials for.

I did not do ANYTHING differently with the Vain samples than any other CD I get for promotional purposes!

This morning I wake up and I find a voicemail from Davy Vain rather tersely requesting that I take down all the samples becuse he "doesn't want people hearing the songs before the album's release." (Then why the hell did Connecting-Music send them out pre-release???) He doesn't leave any phone number, email address, or information to contact him back, and his phone number shows up as blocked. The Vain website has absolutely NO method to contact anyone.

Next I check my email and there is a terse nasty email from Bernd at Connecting Music threatening me with attorneys if I don't take the samples down immediately, and he has de-activated my account at Connecting-Music.eu.

What the hell?

If a particular artist doesn't want anyone to be able to hear samples prior to release, THEN SHOULDN'T HIS PROMOTIONS COMPANY COMMUNICATE THAT REQUEST WHEN DISTRIBUTING THE PROMO MATERIAL?

However, I can understand Mr. Vain's unhappiness, and have removed the samples at his request.

What really PISSES me off is that there was no request whatsoever from Connecting-Music, just threats of a lawsuit as the VERY first point of communication.

Utter douchebaggery.

Aren't we ALL supposed to be working together towards a common goal? The musicians, record labels, promotion companies, journalists, radio stations, websites?

Good God.

It does indeed begger belief. As you rightly said, we're all working towards what should be a common goal, namely purchasing/promoting/supporting the music we love.

Acting like little Hitlers doesn't do anything for your credibility, instead it creates a negative feeling and can ultimatly backfire on you.

Well Mr Vain's new release has now been promoted before release, but not in a good way.

Great message, very well put. Sounds like these guys are behaving like complete and utter f***wits. I hope I speak for others too when I say that the samples posted on HH have proved invaluable in the past in deciding which albums to buy or even which songs to download (legally and paid for, e.g. from iTunes or Amazon). If the full songs are not available elsewhere, e.g. Youtube, Myspace, etc, then I would rather not buy than make a blind purchase. The 30-second samples on Amazon and iTunes simply aren't long enough to decide whether I like a particular song and often cover only the intro anyway. Therefore, it goes without saying that the samples on HH make me more likely to buy any given CD.

What retardery!

More than ever, I'm glad that I don't like anything by Vain and would have no interest in buying anything with his name on it!

Well, I received a call from Bernd at Connecting-Music and I think we have things straightened out. Bernd apologized for the harshness of the email. It seems that Davy woke him up in the middle of the night (the voicemail Davy left me was about 4:00 in the morning as well).

The Vain samples will not be put up again, since Davy does not want anyone to hear the album before it is actually released.

Whatever. I'm not sure what the point of advance promotions is then, but it's not worth arguing about.

Note to labels, musicians, promoters, etc.: If you don't want outlets to put out any snippets of songs to the public for a particular release, you probably should actually let them know this.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally my mindreading skills suck.

I am also a part of the Connecting-Music promotion. Only problems I have had is many releases being named and tagged wrong. For contact on the VAIN release it said to contact Music Buy Mail.

I still haven't played the Vain album yet but plan to ASAP.

BTW Avenue Of Allies is no longer on Connecting. Germusica via the HAULIX digital promotion outlet will be handling them from here on out.

BTW Avenue Of Allies is no longer on Connecting. Germusica via the HAULIX digital promotion outlet will be handling them from here on out.

Do tell. Any particular reason given for the change?

Do tell. Any particular reason given for the change?

I haven't heard of any known reason quite yet. Also Nightmare Records has left connecting and is using Haulix as well.

Here was the Germusica press release I got

AVENUE OF ALLIES - new promo partner, new releases!

Dear press,

today we would like to inform you about our new collaboration with a new promo partner. From the next releases on, we will be in charge for the world-wide PR for the products of Germany based Westcoast/ AOR / Hard Rock / Melodic Rock label AVENUE OF ALLIES.

The label furthermore will return to promote their releases with CDs. Next up will be the exciting Melodic Rock bands SOUL SELLER and PARADISE INC., both due for release on October 21st. More details about these albums can be found below.

Additionally to this, we will have promo CDs of the June releases by ALYSON AVENUE and LIONVILLE available to now present them to a wider audience. We will start with the PR for all four releases early next week and will take requests from you from now on.

Of course Davy Vain doesn't want anyone to hear it before it's released......BECAUSE IT'S GOING TO SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

To be honest even if it doesnt suck, actions like this are going to make people think it does.

Its generally expected in the computer game industry, for instance, that if a developer does not release either a public demo or give a pre-release copy to games magazines and websites for play testing, then its because the game sucks.

I dont think the music industry tends to have exactly the same feelings, it does make most people think this with actions like this.

I gave up on Vain years ago, so I personally couldnt care less, but its still a shitty way to act for those that do like the band.

I've also gotten a few PM's (not just today but over a length of time) on how I get promos and advanced releases. I not only do press reviews under an alias name but I am mostly known in the music media world as John Madman AKA The Metal Madman.....owner and creator of The Metal Madman Radio Show.

http://www.facebook.com/themetalmadman

http://www.facebook.com/themetalmadmanshow

http://www.themetalmadman.com

The Vain samples will not be put up again, since Davy does not want anyone to hear the album before it is actually released.

Total :masturbanana: